Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HSV Advice

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Funny thing is i was about to buy some new caps to freshen them up , now i dont know what to do :rolleyes:

Holden caps are smaller than HSV so if you want to replace the caps, you don't have much choice.

I got these instead.....

https://3dcarstickers.com/product/699/

5aP6E3V.jpg

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
So the pic you uploaded of the ute with the 340 badge was yours?
I'm sorry for calling you a wanker.
It's all good mate, I found the 340 badge I bought for my old R8 intending to fit at as mine was slightly crooked but I never got around to it. I don't particularly like the V series II badge in my eyes looks like a blob of nothing until you're up close to see what it is. With the 340 badge I find a key ring with the SV logo and it's pretty much the same height as the 340 badge, a lot smaller than the R8 SV logo.

It's common on an SS to see Walkinshaw logos and 375 or whatever on that side of the boot/tail gate and the 340 badge and key ring logo is the same width as the SS badge on the other side. Given that it's in 340 spec with HSV parts off a Maloo, why not highlight the engine spec that's under the bonnet! To confirm it's 340 spec, I can pop the bonnet, here it is below.

20210228_225752.jpg

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
It's fundamentally the same like a BMW 340i is equivalent to an SS and an M3 (same series) is equivalent to a GTS so to speak but also,
the M Division produces enhancement packages and parts for the 340i. AC Schnitzer produce similar packages and parts like Walkinshaw, but they're not recognised by BMW the same as Walkinshaw isn't recognised by Holden is what I'm referring to.

HSV parts fitted to an SS for example, is generally favourable among the greater community in my experience more so than an after market component often considered to be a bit bodgie or second tier or in other words, HSV components tend to have a more factory like perception than a "hot rodded" or an overly fiddled with perception often associated with aftermarket enhancements.

What I’m saying is HSV takes a Holden Commodore variant from another manufacturer and exchanges bolt on parts to enhance performance where say for example a W204 C63 AMG is no C Class with add on.

For starters the front guards and bonnet from one to the other are not interchangeable, they don’t fit as the C63 has longer chassis rails, the rims won’t fit as they have different offsets due to the C63’s wider track, you can’t just drop an AMG V8 in as it won’t sit in a MB C Class engine bay and AMG produce standalone vehicles like the GT Coupé that has no MB donor car.

These are in-house designs approved by MB before AMG can go ahead with production.

And yes they do offer rim and cosmetic add-ons packages with AMG branding for the MB range but these are just accessories for sales purposes and do not fall under the AMG umbrella of vehicles.

HSV was their own entity that used bolt on parts to hot rod an existing vehicle no different to a tuner, admittedly with GM Holden’s support but that was all it was, just a business decision support.

Years ago when Holden took photos of some of my cars for a marketing exercise they did not want any of my HSV’s to be in the photos, only Holden produced vehicles as HSV was not a Holden as far as their marketing department was concerned.

MB advertise AMG as a part of their vehicle range as does BMW with their M Division cars, Holden never advertised HSV as part of their range, there is a fundamental difference between what HSV was about and what AMG and M is.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Some rim damage on the driver's side my friend?

Is that scrub marks or has the coating separated?

Gutter rash :(

And not the only one.....was already there when I bought it.

Would like to get the restored.....one day :rolleyes:

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
HSV was their own entity that used bolt on parts to hot rod an existing vehicle no different to a tuner, admittedly with GM Holden’s support
What I'm getting at, is that HSV cars like BMW M's and Benz AMG, are the premium end of performance vehicles either owned by or supported by the primary manufacturer. The benchmark LS3 engine supported by Holden is HSV's 340, not their 304. What I mentioned previously in terms of maintaining or increasing a car's value in the market place in my experience, 340ing an SS with HSV parts holds greater credibility among the majority than a 360kw engine enhancement from Fred's Hotrod's.

If we watch the VF market, the cars modified with aftermarket bolt on's are the cars that kick around the longest unsold due to two things. The integrity of the parts used and the potential for the fitter messing the job up. Exhaust hits the floor pan so they bash the floor pan up a bit with the hammer. HSV components don't bastardise the car as they're perceived to be properly designed and made to meet Holden standards.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Gutter rash :(
I love the way they've given a name for what's essentially crap driving!
My wife kerbed my VR GTS back in '94 and I bought a new wheel and it wasn't cheap. She's never hit another kerb to this day and she became a master at keeping the wheels off them.

perkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
I love the way they've given a name for what's essentially crap driving!
My wife kerbed my VR GTS back in '94 and I bought a new wheel and it wasn't cheap. She's never hit another kerb to this day and she became a master at keeping the wheels off them.
I remember when I was a little kid my mums friend had a Red VR GTS and still has it to this day. One day I was riding my scooter from the top of my hill in the street to the bottom of the court and we lived at the bottom of said court. anyway I lost my balance after hitting a bump on the shitty surfaced road and went flying off the scooter it went barreling towards his car and ended up damaging the rear quarter panel and scuffing the the rear wheel. I still cringe to this day about it . He laughs about said incident and actually for Christmas that same year he replaced my scooter with a red one with a Holden sticker on it. But every time I go to see him there is a constant reminder of what I did cause he still has said rim hanging on the wall in the garage opposite said vehicle that got damaged by me