Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ht monaro

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Lordy, are they the original rear quarter panels? There doesn't appear to be the slightest trace of rust in the usual spots - how good is that (and how very rare?)

Regarding the Saginaw, they were good enough for the 350's if driven firmly but the shift mechanism that Holden rigged up used to cause a few problems. They could get their knickers knotted during rapid upshifts from second to third and back again, because the transmission was mounted on rubber and could move around under torque, but the shift was bolted rigidly to the floor and couldn't more in line with the trans under hard accelleration. My old 253 HG used to get me into strife trying the quick shifts, locking me out until the engine settled back on its mounts (which could have been softer than they should have.) I also had a 327 with Saginaw in my HT Premier but the engine mounts were new so this problem didn't occur.

SP00KSTER

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE, HT MONARO REBUILD
thanks guys, and yes Calaber most of the rear quater panels are the orginals except for the bottoms where you usually get rust, the fabricators got a rare spares kit and cut out the old and in with the new. I noticed the trans mount was made out of rubber and i thought that it would give a bit as the torque twists the box, but it doesnt matter as it's no race car, just a show cruiser.
Zeussy, as much as we would love to go fatter on the back those tyres are the max we can go without any form or guard flaring or tubbing, 245's are pretty damn fat for HT.

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Nice to see this project coming along. I don't know if you've mentioned it or not, but what colour is it going to be? Shame it's not a K, they had the best colours in the HK-G Monaro range IMO. Still, the HT did have some nice colours though.

Can't say i like the wheel choice though, i guess that's personal taste though.

Keep up the good work, will be a nice car to have when it's finished.

EDIT: Just noticed you said it's going to be seabring orange. Best colour for an HT, (especially if it's the original colour) my future father inlaw has an HG (well, the id tags say it's a G, but it's dressed up as a T) in seabring orange with the original houndstooth trim and a 383 Chev. Exactly the same from the outside as this car by the sounds of it (except it doesn't have the black stripes along the bottom of the car, only the ones on the bonnet and boot).

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Well worth fixing. And keep it as close as possible to original.