Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

I don't speak Holden, but HELLO!

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
Two things that can't be argued. The ZF 6 speed in the fords is AMAZING!!! Better than any auto VE I've driven. Ant the Ford M6 in the cheapest model (XR6) right up to the most expensive model, is the TR6060... The same as is only available (afaik) in HSVs.

I do think both Ford and Holden need to improve their diffs though and bushes though.

As for fuel efficiency, I can get my I6T down to 8.9l/100km if I drive it sedately.

I agree on the FPVs - their looks are shocking but not nearly as bad as anything HSV have come up with since they started slapping old Pontiac parts on their cars and dressing them up in more rice than a WRX.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Auto's are crap, its just the degree that varies :D.
The HSV thing is subjective as well.
That said, I profer them to the FPV. Just.
The T56 in the earlier Commodores (I''m not sure if the VE used them) was shocking I agree. Try and grab 3rd at any sort of speed... I know the gates there somewhere, but by the time you find it, you need second again.

Can't comment on the VE efficiency, but my LS1 is capable of 12/100 if im nice to it.
The I6T has the advantage of being able to drive off boost. But off boost means less torque. Its handy none the less.

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
Not to mention the ZF is like a $2500 option!!! I'd rather spend that on a nice OTR + tune + catback.

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
Oh and the VE is a tad heavier, comparing SV6 sedan (1725 kg) vs Xr6 Sedan (1704 kg ) here. Haven't looked at diffs, but the VE has less profile on their tyres which doesn't help 1/4mile and 0-100 times. I'd say if everything else was equal we'd see an even larger margin in times.

ssavage

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV 9.5
If you gonna talk about fuel efficiency I can get my 270rwkw ssv down to 7L/100kms just cruising

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
0-100m and 400m times are NOT important. The most important things to compare when comparing road cars is their torque and when that torque is available. Nobody I know drives anywhere 400m at a time and is impressed when they get there 0.3 seconds faster than someone else.

You also need to factor in affordability and value for money. Official fuel figures aside (because EVERY smart person knows that is entirely dependent on how you drive), what is the single biggest concern most people have when buying? Value for money.... The on road drive away costs of the SV6 over the NZ XR6 make it worse value for money. Especially when for very little more than an SV6 you can have a V8 killing XR6 Turbo.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the Holden is a bad car. I'm just saying that right now, of the current latest and greatest offering from both sides of the fence, the FG is ahead of Holden in almost every way.

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
But not everyone wants an XR6 turbo lol... thats like saying for alittle more money you could get a V8... pretty pointless... as the turbo has bigger servicing costs, bigger insurance costs, bigger everything costs. Not to mention ANYONE with a I6T is going to push her, which makes it pointless if buying one for fuel economy lol.
I just think it's funny that a car with 40nm more torque gets beaten 0-100 and 1/4m not to mention as tested around most tracks considering the car is 4 years old!

Another praise the VE's get over the FG's are handling. In every mag I've read FG's loose out on to Holden on handling.

Value for money, hard to go past the VE II :D

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
0-100m and 400m times are NOT important. The most important things to compare when comparing road cars is their torque and when that torque is available. Nobody I know drives anywhere 400m at a time and is impressed when they get there 0.3 seconds faster than someone else.

You also need to factor in affordability and value for money. Official fuel figures aside (because EVERY smart person knows that is entirely dependent on how you drive), what is the single biggest concern most people have when buying? Value for money.... The on road drive away costs of the SV6 over the NZ XR6 make it worse value for money. Especially when for very little more than an SV6 you can have a V8 killing XR6 Turbo.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the Holden is a bad car. I'm just saying that right now, of the current latest and greatest offering from both sides of the fence, the FG is ahead of Holden in almost every way.

HAhaha, not this time anyway ;).

Thats true to a point though.
Alot of it comes down to badge alignment. If you're a mad keen holden fan, The reverse of what you said is true. Because quiet frankly, the two cars are so much alike you're really splitting hairs when it comes to picking differences.