Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

I finally got one (VZ CALAIS)

Mattde

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S1
I've been on this forum for a number of years dropping in and out and after owning a few commodores over the years (all modest V6's) I have finally bought a V8.
A gorgeous Silver 2005 VZ Calais in mint condition (160,000km - no mods)
I couldn't be happier!

I'm sure there are many threads already covering the ins-and-outs of the VZ/LS1 but I would love to hear your opinions on things what I should look out for over the coming years. What to do, what NOT to do and just general advice on the best way to take care of her!
Thanks community.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
My 2c worth ……… you have bought an older (stock ) Holden which cannot be updated to a new, equivalent Holden.
This vehicle will soon be seen as a ‘classic’, and appreciated much earlier than previously for such models. Maybe not as much attention as a GTHO or GTS, but I am now getting compliments about my Monaro, and even the Crewman, from servicing mechanics, and blokes who know what they are. (Ego is not a dirty word.)
Keep it clean, original, and don’t stuff with it, and the satisfaction with what you have will follow..

Mattde

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S1
Cheers dude,
Yeah I'm actually really happy that it's completely stock and not overly modded. The VZ Calais is the one model that I just love the look of as-is. doesn't need to be touched.

I may make a few minor changes down the track: modest exhaust, intake and a tune, new head unit (keep the old one), but that's about it. even the condition of the original wheels is amazing so I'm in no hurry to overly customise it.

shueardm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Well done. I just out of interest looked and they seem to be holding very good price ( with the V8 )

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
VZ is much better then VY back. Better intake better exhaust. Not much point doing much besides a tune imo especially for something untouched.

Mattde

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S1
VZ is much better then VY back. Better intake better exhaust. Not much point doing much besides a tune imo especially for something untouched.

Thanks for the feedback guys.
As for the stock comment, you really think so? I've waited so long and suffered too many (farty) V6 Exhausts.
Now having a V8 I would love to feel that beautiful rumble. I know there are exhaust threads but surely a minor adjustment would make for better performance, economy and sound? Then air intake and a tune ideally.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Just do basic mods like otr/exhaust/tune/gears...still drive nice yet big jump in performance with similar economy.

Keep standard parts in case get defected or want it to put it back to standard.

Do performance stuff all at once,be realistic if it's just a daily or weekender then mod it accordingly.

Easy to mod them tastefully & done right barely noticeable.

Had vy ss m6 ute with bolt on mods for 7 years,looked standard on outside

Russo Peformance,Castle Hill Exhaust or Autowerks Automotive are all worth having a chat with.

Mattde

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S1
Yeah they are all quite reputable. I had a friend suggest LSX Tuning in Moorebank (more local to me).
But as you said I'm sure it would likely be worth getting it all done at once. Just need to have a chat and set a budget.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Things like 2.5" exhaust will keep it understated

3.46 diff out of manual car good value for money if score one cheap & change it yourself (3.7-3.9 better but double price of 3.46 diff)

Yeah works out tad cheaper only pay for one tune just takes longer to find all right parts if doing on a budget.