Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

I have $1500 to spend. Help me out.

Daniel Souza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Wagon SSV Redline
I trialled HPAcademy. Not much useful info I found. They give a good basic background knowledge, but the same info is available on youtube, websites and forums. MAF helps with calculation of fuelling. It measures actual airflow but still won't make adjustments in target afr's, timing, torque management etc. Basically you adjust the fuelling so that commanded and actual AFR's are the same and then adjust commanded afr's from there.

You can keep the MAF - it'll give slightly better fuel economy and better manners at low throttle openings. But that's not the case when large aftermarket cams are fitted due to intake pulse and reversion upsetting maf readings.

You'll spend more than the bloke above suggested getting set up with hptuners, credits and wideband. It's not a cheap exercise. Then you really need to learn how to use it, which can take years, and you have the risk of damaging your vehicle and the likelihood that you won't get decent power and economy out of it.

Spend the money and have it tuned by a professional with a dyno. Had mine dyno tuned about 8 weeks ago for $400 and it was worth every cent.

In regarding to the hptuners, credits and wideband cost, hopefully, I will be able to prove it can be done close to the price I mentioned before.

Price from VCM store :
- MPVI2 $499
- 2 Credits $164 ( I had quoted 1 credit before)

CarmodsAustralia
- AEM X-Series OBD2 $314.96

Gasket and Sealant $50

Installation DIY ( pictures coming soon) apart from welding the bung. Lets see how much they will charge me. I will remove and take the pipe (CAT piece) to the shop.

Even if you have to pay for the full install of the wideband, it will be less than the $1500 budget.

Please let me know if I am forgetting something.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
just a note when u first scan your vehicle if u have the FPCM and u want to adjust that its an extra 2 credits, if u dont want to then untick it when u first scan so u dont have it there for when u licence the vehicle so its only the normal 2 credits, and with the VF make sure the accessories/ignition dosnt time out when u first scan as the engine/auto file may take a while, i think vcm say how to keep the ignition on so it dosnt time out

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
I trialled HPAcademy. Not much useful info I found. They give a good basic background knowledge, but the same info is available on youtube, websites and forums. MAF helps with calculation of fuelling. It measures actual airflow but still won't make adjustments in target afr's, timing, torque management etc. Basically you adjust the fuelling so that commanded and actual AFR's are the same and then adjust commanded afr's from there.

You can keep the MAF - it'll give slightly better fuel economy and better manners at low throttle openings. But that's not the case when large aftermarket cams are fitted due to intake pulse and reversion upsetting maf readings.

You'll spend more than the bloke above suggested getting set up with hptuners, credits and wideband. It's not a cheap exercise. Then you really need to learn how to use it, which can take years, and you have the risk of damaging your vehicle and the likelihood that you won't get decent power and economy out of it.

Spend the money and have it tuned by a professional with a dyno. Had mine dyno tuned about 8 weeks ago for $400 and it was worth every cent.
What was your power increase and what modifications have you made to your car.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
if u want to in depth tuning tutorial i recommend the ERM Performance download its done very well and alot of helpful excel layouts also, it was sad that he lost he's fight with cancer about a month or so ago as he was very knowledgeable and had a way of explaining it so it could be understood, as far as i know they are still doing the digital tutorials

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
What was your power increase and what modifications have you made to your car.
282.9rwkw on first dyno with previous owner. Tune wasn't great so I had it retuned to stop it spluttering and randomly stalling. This time kw reading was lower even though it picked up heaps of power and torque throughout the whole rev range when retuned. But this time has histall and diff gears which apparently have a huge impact on dyno figures even though the car's quicker on the road.

Cam around 232/[email protected], lift just over .600" according to previous owner, 1 7/8 hurricane headers and hiflow cats, vcm otr etc etc. Just all the usual stuff.

Dylan kingswood

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 s2 Ve ss
I have 232 234 @.50 in my l77 and that got 310kw atw but mines Manuel apparently the auto does suck the figures up a bit