Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

sundaydriver

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH 202 Blue 3.3 Vactioner
OK - here's another curly one.

No spark at plugs, so worked back to the coil.

With the dizzly lead off and the ignition on (so still have the dizzly looped in with + and - contact leads) - there is no voltage on the contacts (just using a multi-meter)

The workshop manuals tell me there is something wrong with the 'ignition switch' if there's no voltage at the coil, but i'm not sure that's the issue because
  1. When the ignition is on, all the accessories and headlights work
  2. It can crank - so the starter works too
  3. With the ignition on, using a multi-meter, I can probe the pos. lead going to the coil and ground and get ~12 volts - so I know power is getting there
I'd have thought the above indicated that the ignition switch was OK?

I can't, however, make the coil secondary give off spark. I don't have a test light or plug, so all the testing has been done with the DIY methods on youtube - i.e. grounding tests with the ignition on.

Also here are the reading from the new coil i got a few months back (it had been running OK on this until recently) and as a comparison, I have the original (30+ year old coil) that came with the car - I only replaced it for the sake of it, not because it failed.

So you can see the new coil primary is pretty high...

The manuals say the primary should be somewhere between "0.5 -0.7 Ohms". So the old coil comes close. And the Secondary is supposed to be between "5000-7000 Ohms". So they both look OK for the secondary. But again, can't get spark of either

New coil
Primary - (metre @ "200" ohms) = 66.1 <-- not a misprint.
Secondary - (metre @ "20K" ohms) = 6.40

Old coil
Primary - (metre @ "200" ohms) = 0.9
Secondary - (metre @ "20K" ohms) = 6.82

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
have you put the wrong coil on it and killed the ignition modal is that what your saying does it run if you put the old coil back on?

sundaydriver

Reaction score
Members Ride
have you put the wrong coil on it and killed the ignition modal is that what your saying does it run if you put the old coil back on?

Got the coil at REPCO - just told them what model car and their system tells them which coil suits, so unless they gave me the wrong one...
It was running for a while on this coil too, so if it was the wrong one, it would have killed it right away, wouldn't it?

Not sure about the module/ECU, but the spark test is don't with that connected anyway.

No luck with the old coil either - can't get spark from it.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
don't know I once put a gt40 on a vc it took a couple of weeks to fuckup check your coil goes with the modal is your modal rooted?

sundaydriver

Reaction score
Members Ride
don't know I once put a gt40 on a vc it took a couple of weeks to fuckup check your coil goes with the modal is your modal rooted?

Coil is a 12v Fuelmiser CC200 - web says it's right for my car (VH 3.3 blue 202)
Bosch Ignition Module BIM024 is correct one too.

How can I check the Module?

Last edited: