Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Improving the handling on a ute

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I doubt I will use Kings again.
Used to use Lovells and will go back to them next time I think. I’ve never had springs sag at all, let alone after 2 years.

Maybe King springs have gotten worse, I've had kings over the years and I don't think they sagged?

Anyone got opinions on KYB shocks? I'm on standard height though.

I have had KYB for years with Dobi sport low springs which are equivalent to FE2 without issue. Quiet happy with em, better than Monroe GT Gas.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I have had KYB for years with Dobi sport low springs which are equivalent to FE2 without issue. Quiet happy with em, better than Monroe GT Gas.
Would shocks that suit FE2 be long enough for stock height springs.

snicklefritz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S Ute Series III
I'm looking at giving my springs & shocks a freshen up and was thinking a drop of about 30mm lower than standard height (low?) would be nice visually given the increase from 15" to 17" wheels.

I was looking at king springs and they are recommending a superlow spring for the front (KHFL-47SL) and a low (KHPR-24) for the rear stating that the "low" front spring (KHFS-22) is infact standard height?

Does this make sense to anyone? Should I ignore this and just go low front and back? Should I forget them and go for something more reputable?

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Does this make sense to anyone? Should I ignore this and just go low front and back? Should I forget them and go for something more reputable?

Yes , looked out my receipt and yes khpr-24sl are fe 2 rears

Khfl-47sl would be fe2 fronts , I have khfl-47ssl = so the tyre to wheel arch gaps are very close to the same.
These are matched with bilsteins shocks = absolutely brilliant so a smooth road but you know when you're hitting bumps.

Thinking of going different brand springs ( especially fronts) , and maybe slightly higher especially fronts.

The king springs with the bilsteins are I think harsher.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Would shocks that suit FE2 be long enough for stock height springs.

I know I am late to the thread, but that's how things have been for me lately.

FE2 shocks have a shorter travel distance, when compared to standard....I would suspect, they mightn't be as comfortable due to travel distance. even though I have never done this mix and match before.

Tyre pressures...Don't bump them above 36 PSI....Start going to 38 and 40, with no load, the ride will be harsher...The sidewall, is stiffer, with the increased pressure, which defeats what you are aiming at. You want the sidewall to soak up the bumps, along with the spring shock combination... Personally, I run 36 PSI all round with my VC and have found this to be the best pressure for comfort and tyre wear.....

Increasing the rim size, will also defeat the purpose of what you want to achieve.....I have driven numerous commodores around the era of your bus, with 17"+ rims fitted and I personally find them harsher in the ride, when compared to this era fitted with 15 or 16" rims. I also admit, this is on sealed roads, so on gravel, they will be worse.

So hope this helps with your decision

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Thanks VC yeah I think I need standard length shocks. I should have the springs this week and depending on if I decide to fit them myself or pay to have it done will depend on if they are in this weekend. I have some Pedder red shocks from the wagon that look to be in good cond apart from the lower bushes. I am considering getting some bushes and giving them a try with the new coils.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Thanks VC yeah I think I need standard length shocks. I should have the springs this week and depending on if I decide to fit them myself or pay to have it done will depend on if they are in this weekend. I have some Pedder red shocks from the wagon that look to be in good cond apart from the lower bushes. I am considering getting some bushes and giving them a try with the new coils.

With the shocks...Perhaps you could try and remove the bushes from your old shocks and try out the wagon shocks...Saves you some coin and you won't loose anything if the wagon shocks are stuffed....:)

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Question about my Lovells, do I put the closer loops to the bottom or the closer loops to the top? I have progressive suspension and I think the closer loops go to the bottom?

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
As far as I've always remembered the tighter section of the coil should be at the top while the softer part is on the lower end which is what you normally ride on until you hit some harder stuff.

I totally agree with VC's comments regarding large wheels and how they affect the ride. Sadly most people look at fashion over functionality. As long as it looks cooooooool who cares. Sorry not where I'll be coming from that's for sure and as you are traversing rough unsealed roads quite a bit you'll need every bit of give in your suspension, but then if you like being jarred to the core pick the fashion statement over the functional parts.

BTW our roads are just getting worse and worse day by day and honestly ?................I'm sick of them thus I run 16's (VS SS wheels) with 55 profile tyres opposed to 50's. Both our two VS's that we own have this wheel and tyre combination and they're harsh enough for me.