Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Intermittent white smoke issue on SV6 (2015) Sedan

thogg

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6 SIDI V6
Hi Guys,

I'm new here to the forums.Have any of you heard about an issue with intermittent white smoke coming from the exhaust. Car is 1 year old 2015 SV6- 16K on the clock. Yes as expected worse in winter but I expect it to stop after 10 mins of running. I parked up after 20mins driving this morning and took a video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWkKAzOE3Vo&feature=youtu.be

Any info or help would be much appreciated. The Holden dealership are not being the most helpful as yet.

Thanks tim

Sir Les

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 MY14
I don't think that's anything to worry about. My 2014 Calais V with 20,000 km on the clock does it too. It takes a surprisingly long time for it to go away in winter. And I don't think it's smoke, I think it's steam.

vk2him

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
It's steam/condensation ... steam/water/condensation is normal reaction from your catalytic converters, it's more visible on colder days as the colder outside air holds less water than the warmer air from your exhaust so it condenses into visible steam and water drops. Its also the same theory on why there are clouds and why you see steam coming from a kettle ...

Last edited:

thogg

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6 SIDI V6
Thanks guys, I will keep an eye on it as the weather warms up, car is driving fine and the oil/coolant levels are correct. Just paranoid going from a company car to a personal one with my $$ on the line. Appreciate the comments. Tim

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
You've elected a pope!

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
You've elected a pope!

Most would not know what your talking about but you are right that when white smoke is detected from that chimney stack a new pope has been selected. This traditions goes back Hundreds of years.