Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is anyone considering the NG commodore after their VF?

VFII•17

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SS-V Redline Sedan LMF
I still use an analogue street directory, despite the jeers from the cool kids.

I found an old Melway street directory in the garage while I'm trying to clean it. I can't bear to throw it out! It will be a collectors item soon. I may even place it in thew back seat pocket of the VFII Redline I am getting soon, just to annoy some friends.

VFII•17

Reaction score
Members Ride
Each to their own mate. I can see your point of view but I'm old school and prefer to do things the traditional way. I've been driving for 20 years and have managed perfectly well without all this fandangled driver assist tech. A skilled driver simply doesn't need it and imo it is just a nuisance and induces inattentiveness and laziness.
As for maps, I prefer to look at a physical map so I can plan my journey and know exactly where I'm going before I head off, rather than blindly following a gps.

So you have been driving for 20 years, so the late 90s is when you got your license. I am not too sure what was your first car but a 20 year old car is clearly different to the VFII you just obtained. Try driving a late 70s car compared to a late 90s car and it is chalk and cheese. A current VFII virtually drives itself.

VFII•17

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruise control isn't exactly 'driver assist tech', it's just something to make long-distance drives more comfortable & fuel-efficient. And cheaper, especially in Victoria!

I don't know how you can remember an entire trip off a map you looked at before you left ... your memory's got at least 50 intersection's worth more capacity than mine. :)

Cruise control just makes you more comfortable, not fuel efficient. It is actually less fuel efficient with the cruise control on than driving manually. It's a fact.. look it up somewhere.. anywhere..

VFII•17

Reaction score
Members Ride
Two items of 'driver assist tech' I'd like fitted...
1. Legal radar jammers.
2. 'Active number plates' that spell out a message to speed cameras...

Or a James Bond like number plate, that actively spin around with mini machine guns sticking out, and using mini speed camera seeking bullets or missiles to take them out, then spinning back to a normal number plate ;)

VFII•17

Reaction score
Members Ride
And what percentage Aussie will the NG Commodore be?

Hint: same percentage as my interest in owning it.

So your interest in purchasing any non-Aussie built new car will be 0%, because there will be no Aussie built anything come end of 2017!

VFII•17

Reaction score
Members Ride
My mate said than the NEW Commodore comes out he will look at it at the Holden Dealers and tell them I might buy a Insigna.

This is the Same rubbish we had with the Lexen and since the Lexen was a Commodore re badge, well when the NEW Commodore come out and if you like it go buy the Genuine and the Genuine is the Insigna

Renaming the Insignia to the Commodore is simply just rebadging the car for the country that the car is in. For example, we export the Commodore to the US as a Chevy SS. No Commodore badge there, although some are obsessed with rebadging it to a Holden badge and calling it a Commodore. That's just obsession. You could rebadge it when it comes out and place an Opel badge and call it an Insignia if you want...

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
When there is no local maufacturing to support I won't have allegiances.

If you compare the kit offered in the new 'performance' model of the NG Commodore - well it just does not stack up against the competition.

So the access to cheap parts and performance upgrades will be on par or worse than it's counterpart rivals. Tie in the fact that GM sold Vauxhal and Opel to PSA who've agreed to build this car and the Astra for a few years and the writing is on the wall for the NG.

You're not investing in a winner here with this car.

So your interest in purchasing any non-Aussie built new car will be 0%, because there will be no Aussie built anything come end of 2017!

RED LION

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Redline
FYI (from a SPAMmail from Wheels):

2018-Holden-Calais-Sportwagon.jpg

2018-Holden-Calais-Sportwagon-front.jpg

2018-Holden-Calais-Sportwagon-wheel.jpg

Ohh dear.

We should all meet up one day and do a massive circle prayer. We must pray to the GM gods that the ATS or the CTS are sold in Australia.

zero_tolerance

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VFII Redline
That pretty much sums up my view on the matter.
The only non Australian built Holden I would consider buying in future is a Colorado, but as it won't be an emotional purchase I will be more inclined to buy a used one to save a few $$$.

Martyr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS
That pretty much sums up my view on the matter.
The only non Australian built Holden I would consider buying in future is a Colorado, but as it won't be an emotional purchase I will be more inclined to buy a used one to save a few $$$.
Didn't GM guarantee they were going to fill the void left by the dead V8 Commodore?

"We are going to launch a V8 sports car and it will blow your socks off."