Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is anyone using mobile for Navigation?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Basic Pioneer double din. Been told I can't use maps on it.
I recall recommending the Alpine Apple CarPlay headunits.

Just saying…

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I recall recommending the Alpine Apple CarPlay headunits.

Just saying…
You may well have but this was after I had already bought my Pioneer unit. Alpine are nice but have a hefty price tag too. I don't have an IPhone either and never have.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
You may well have but this was after I had already bought my Pioneer unit. Alpine are nice but have a hefty price tag too. I don't have an IPhone either and never have.
Work on Android just as well.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Work on Android just as well.
Alpine was well out of my budget. I prefer Pioneer. But the next jump was nearly $600. Whereas mine was just over $300. My whole system was over $1500 with installation. I just didn't have the coin to go sick and spend $1500 on equipment alone. I have a pretty decent set up, just no G Maps which I can live without. G Maps is not accurate enough compared to my Navman so it wouldn't be much good in places where I really need it. G Maps is OK fluffing around Launceston where I just need to find a street but serious directions in busy traffic it can't be trusted.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
This is how reliable Google Maps is. I had to find an address to buy a roller tool bag. Well it got me most of the way but then tells me to turn up a different road, which was one or two streets further along. Then I get about half way around the one way circuit road and it tells me I have arrived..... it was a different road and probably 500m away as the crow flys. Tried resetting it and it kept telling me to drive up the wrong road. In the end I had to turn it off and use the sellers directions.
I also took a wrong turn at a roundabout and Google maps never said do a uturn like my GPS does it wanted me to drive 12km before making another turn, which was miles in the wrong direction...... It should have just said perform a uturn.
Google Maps, pffffft something only millennials could think is the bomb....

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Google maps:

images