Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is it just me or are ssv commodores quick as a standard car?

Mick Boon

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve ssv
I have a ve ssv bog stock original and I think it is a ridiculously fast car out of the box. Is this the case or am I kidding myself?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Bolt a turbo to it and then say that. :D

You are right in a way though. Go back to the VN SS and the car has come a long way.
They are quick and have enough under the bonnet for most people.
Depends what you are used to and what you drove before.

Mick Boon

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve ssv
Bolt a turbo to it and then say that. :D

You are right in a way though. Go back to the VN SS and the car has come a long way.
They are quick and have enough under the bonnet for most people.
Depends what you are used to and what you drove before.

Mick Boon

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve ssv
I'm used to 4wd ftrucks. Heaps of grunt and strong as just too heavy to be fast lol. I can't say I am a holden man but this commodore is really a terrific car. Drives beautifully and handles like a car half its weight. Bolt a turbo onto it? Holy ****! This thing can smack a modified harley off the line and out top speed it not to mention out handle it and its stock as! I think holden actually got it right with the whole combo. I'll wait until it starts to feel slow then I might be tempted to turbo or supercharge it. Cheers Fu manchu thanks for the reply

Mattricho

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV my15
Like @Fu Manchu said it all depends on what you are used to driving.
Like if i drive the wife’s Barina spark for 2 weeks my SSv feels like a rocket but after a day or two its starting to feel slow again.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
I'm used to 4wd ftrucks. Heaps of grunt and strong as just too heavy to be fast lol. I can't say I am a holden man but this commodore is really a terrific car. Drives beautifully and handles like a car half its weight. Bolt a turbo onto it? Holy ****! This thing can smack a modified harley off the line and out top speed it not to mention out handle it and its stock as! I think holden actually got it right with the whole combo. I'll wait until it starts to feel slow then I might be tempted to turbo or supercharge it. Cheers Fu manchu thanks for the reply
Just saying, my modified H-D has smashed a lightly modded VE HSV, which is faster than an SSV (stock). So I think your perception of Harley is wrong.
Apart from that, Yes a stock SSV is a good car and quite quick striaght of the floor. :)

Mick Boon

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve ssv
Just saying, my modified H-D has smashed a lightly modded VE HSV, which is faster than an SSV (stock). So I think your perception of Harley is wrong.
Apart from that, Yes a stock SSV is a good car and quite quick striaght of the floor. :)

Mick Boon

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve ssv
In the harleys defence I did get the jump on him. Just a better reaction time. My ssv is quicker than my mates ex hipatrol ve ss that has a few mods done to it and we don't know why. It's got us stumped actually.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Harley’s aren’t the quickest thing in the world - most modern dirt bikes would even put them to shame. They’re not about the power output, they’re about crusing and character. That’s why they use old style 1940’s tech engines. If they wanted performance they’d be Dohc liquid cooled, light weight etc

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Harley’s aren’t the quickest thing in the world - most modern dirt bikes would even put them to shame. They’re not about the power output, they’re about crusing and character. That’s why they use old style 1940’s tech engines. If they wanted performance they’d be Dohc liquid cooled, light weight etc
You are clearly put of date.
EFI well before any dirt bike thought about it.
BCM with 5v signalling instead of 12v everywhere and fuses/relays etc. Since about 7yrs ago.
E-throttle since 2008
Twin-cooled heads for many years now.
4valve twin plug heads for the last 2.5years