Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is it just me or are ssv commodores quick as a standard car?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
You are clearly put of date.
EFI well before any dirt bike thought about it.
BCM with 5v signalling instead of 12v everywhere and fuses/relays etc. Since about 7yrs ago.
E-throttle since 2008
Twin-cooled heads for many years now.
4valve twin plug heads for the last 2.5years
Sorry mate didn't mean to offend. Obviously model dependent. Realise you're a Harley guy and i'm a dirtbike guy lol

Few reasons dirtbikes didn't get EFI until recently:
-Excessive cost
-Added complexity
-Components are sensitive to shock and moisture
-Added weight
-Tuning complexity
EFI didn't give any real power gains at all for modern dirtbikes. It's mostly about compliance to emissions and so they can remain eligible for FIM events.

Modern 450's can run mid 12's to low 13's with only gearing change - they can do this because of the 12,000+rpm redline. They're designed to accelerate quickly with a great power to weight ratio. Many Harley's will definitely reel them in once speeds are in excess of 120kmph or so. The 80's and 90's 500 2 stroke CR's and KX's are very capable of sub 12 sec 1/4 mile times too.

Just as an example:

Last edited:

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
with these mods yes the car comes to life like chalk and cheese. Remember though once you start modding it becomes additive
Haha yip know the feeling I’ve done the above mods to my manual ssv now want a cam, turbo or supercharger, built diff with a true Trac, coil overs, big brakes etc etc the bank balance says no tho
Do an otr intake, extractors, hi flow cats 2.5 or 3 inch cat back exhaust and tune and they really come to life having said that a turbo or supercharger with all the supporting mods would be ultimate

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Sorry mate didn't mean to offend. Obviously model dependent. Realise you're a Harley guy and i'm a dirtbike guy lol

Few reasons dirtbikes didn't get EFI until recently:
-Excessive cost
-Added complexity
-Components are sensitive to shock and moisture
-Added weight
-Tuning complexity
EFI didn't give any real power gains at all for modern dirtbikes. It's mostly about compliance to emissions and so they can remain eligible for FIM events.

Modern 450's can run mid 12's to low 13's with only gearing change - they can do this because of the 12,000+rpm redline. They're designed to accelerate quickly with a great power to weight ratio. Many Harley's will definitely reel them in once speeds are in excess of 120kmph or so. The 80's and 90's 500 2 stroke CR's and KX's are very capable of sub 12 sec 1/4 mile times too.

Just as an example:
No offence taken mate.
My 95" ran a best of 12.03. Most importantly a 1.89 I think is my best 60foot, how does that 60' compare to dirt bikes?
2019 model H-Ds are 107/114/117" so easy more potential (built a 117 at work that I did 11.2 on)
I knew a Crf450/rmz450 was quick, and not surprised by high 12s by any stretch.
And those 500 thumpers were always stupidly powerful.
Good vid you linked.

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
I have a ve ssv bog stock original and I think it is a ridiculously fast car out of the box. Is this the case or am I kidding myself?

My stock SS surprised me too when I got it. I drove a Senator and a modified SS-V (cam, exhaust, OTR, tune etc) and I'd happily line up next to either of them -not saying i'd win, but seat of the pants feels it. I always read in Wheels/Motor etc they were a mid-5 sec 0-100kmh car but they test with full tank and two people. I usually drive around with bugger all fuel and just my skinny self behind the wheel... plus an SS is close to the lightest VE fitted with the 6.0L.