Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is it legal and safe?

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
That's lazy police work. Pretty sure all those 60th Ann's and VE optioned with 20" supersports still have the stock tyre placard which says 18s and 19s for SV6, SS and Calais models.

mitchy_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Senator SV08
Its the wheel track that'll be illegal. You could just add some neg camber to get them to tuck BUT you dont want that look, issues etc. Contact the shop and organize replacement 20x8.5 rims

WOW!! Tyre placards just tell you what is standard equipment on your car and not what is legal. You can work out whats legal by referencing the placard. You'll need a HSV VIN number to get a HSV placard so that was bad advice too.

Any VE's can actually run 22 inch rims legally so long as a few thing are met; 1, Tyre load rating. 2, overall diameter is + or

BS If you read the ADRs, can only go 1 inch bigger than what your wheel placard states in your door sill. So running 22'' Wheels is 3'' Bigger dia on a ve ss. The police look at the placard for 19'' wheels , how are you going to explain that one?

A placard is there for a reason

In WA, the cops will instantly sticker the car if you have wheels and tyres that don't match whats on the placard in the door sill. Hence if upgrading to 20's get a HSV tyre placard and run correct tyre sizing, anything out of the stipulated tyre sizing in the door sill will give you a instant defect, no questions asked. Running 22 inch wheels on a VE in WA, is the best way to draw unwanted attention, and get a defect.

Sorry mate, but you're wrong. VC is bang on the money.

You're allowed 15mm in diameter plus 26mm wider width over the largest factory option.

The old 2" increase in diameter rule was changed a looong time ago. It still also applied to the largest factory option

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
Sorry mate, but you're wrong. VC is bang on the money.

You're allowed 15mm in diameter plus 26mm wider width over the largest factory option.

The old 2" increase in diameter rule was changed a looong time ago. It still also applied to the largest factory option

This is the current law/standard for every state except WA then but I remember when SA changed there laws it was to bring them online with everyone else. Obvisiously WAs still different. What VC, Mitchy and myself have said is correct in SA, NT, Vic, NSW and Queensland. Maybe VESSVblack can actually contact vehicle standards in WA before he post next to confirm if WA is different or weather his locate police are just too lazy to get there book out with the standards, which the police do carry as I have seen and read it before.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
last time I looked here in wa 1 inch was the max you could go over the manufacturers specifications in size and a max of 7 inches in total width(unless specified by the manufacturer).

vessvblack is right you will end up being picked on by the police here with 22s, maybe they are jealous lol best they get is 18s and 19s
and so many people have hids and colored parker and number plate lights and the police don't seem to give a crap atleast not around the bunbury area anyway.

Foggsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS Sedan M6
I reckon the fact that the load rating on the tyres is 97 and the VE tyre placard specifies a minimum of 98 makes all 4 tyres illegal just on that fact alone. I'd also think that the increase to the front track of that car due to those 10's and the 10's themselves on the front would have the police with their defect book out.

Only way to tell is to research the RTA rules - ADR's applicable in your state and maybe even talk to an accredited workshop that can engineer this stuff.

mitchy_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Senator SV08
I used to live in, and had modified cars in WA. 99% certain they follow the same as everyone else now.

My brother has never had a problem with the 22's on his WM caprice.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
something else to consider is your insurance company and if they will try to get out of paying you out because you have modifications they don't approve of in their policy.
some insurance companies wont insure modified cars at all.

so make sure the tyres are legal but also check that your insurance company approves too because the last thing you need is to wreck it and have them say we are not paying you because that change voids your policy.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
In WA, the cops will instantly sticker the car if you have wheels and tyres that don't match whats on the placard in the door sill. Hence if upgrading to 20's get a HSV tyre placard and run correct tyre sizing, anything out of the stipulated tyre sizing in the door sill will give you a instant defect, no questions asked. Running 22 inch wheels on a VE in WA, is the best way to draw unwanted attention, and get a defect.

It's an ADR rule, which I quoted....And ADR stands for Australian Design Standards....Last I looked W.A was part of Australia, so a little research on your behalf would be enough to show the W.A police are barking up the wrong tree. And once you have obtained the necessary information, keeping it in the glove box is enough to prevent a defect

BTW the old rule of thumb used to be 2" up on the maximum factory size, with a maximum of 25 or 26MM increase of track, from the widest factory option....However, this rule was thrown out 10 or so years ago.

Wheels and tyre increasing is the only thing, that springs to mind, that is uniform across Australia, when it comes to what is acceptable, without specific state rego approval. ie, the increases I mentioned is Australia wide and don't require specific approval by your state rego office,....If you were to increase your engine capacity, each state has a different view on what is acceptable and what isn't....

The only thing they could possibly defect you for, when going by the placard is load ratings of the tyres....If you have an HSV placard fitted and you fit 19" tyres, or 22" tyres, a good change the load rating will be lower than what the placard stipulates....However ADR rules stipulate, replacement tyres fitted must be of equal or greater load rating that what the compliance plate stipulates.....

So I would strongly suggest researching a little further into this before commenting further....The police seem to be dictating on something, that they obviously have no idea about and by you having the right information at hand, from the relevant authorities, will be enough to keep you defect free

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
last time I looked here in wa 1 inch was the max you could go over the manufacturers specifications in size and a max of 7 inches in total width(unless specified by the manufacturer).

vessvblack is right you will end up being picked on by the police here with 22s, maybe they are jealous lol best they get is 18s and 19s
and so many people have hids and colored parker and number plate lights and the police don't seem to give a crap atleast not around the bunbury area anyway.

You seem to be quoting from the 70's and 80's buddy...Since the 90's and especially from 2000 onwards, 7" and wider rims have been a factory option on all Commodores (not to mention other manufacturers)......It was only the poverty packs that had under 7" rims in the later era

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
something else to consider is your insurance company and if they will try to get out of paying you out because you have modifications they don't approve of in their policy.
some insurance companies wont insure modified cars at all.

so make sure the tyres are legal but also check that your insurance company approves too because the last thing you need is to wreck it and have them say we are not paying you because that change voids your policy.

Good advise...As long as the quoted ADR rules are followed, your insurance policy is save in this area......And yes, I deal with crash repairers and insurance assessors, who depend on my advise on whether to proceed with insurance related crash repaires