Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is it legal and safe?

soleit

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE SS-V
Seems I have opened a can of worms. Anyway, got a final reply from the online company I bought these from, basically saying the wheels are legal and a big screw you when I asked for a refund. Fair Trading just basically said "you accepted" I said I was told they'd be fine, they have a customer satisfaction guarantee on their site, I'm not happy, they're not doing a damn thing about sending out original order and Fair Trading just goes "submit an online complaint and we'll contact you within 30 days". F me.

So, now I have 4 Lexani LSS55 wheels which are gorgeous, just not game enough to drive in case some cop whose wife refused action the night before decides my car is his target of sexual frustration. My 2 options are, fitting better tyres for the front if I was to put them back on in which case, what size without rubbing guard, suspension etc (standard SS-V suspension) and hope cops are blind OR look for someone who has the same wheels in 8.5 all round who would love a staggered setup and do a swap.

Thoughts??

Foggsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS Sedan M6
Option 2 or just buy 2 x 8.5's and then sell your 2 x 10's

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
You seem to be quoting from the 70's and 80's buddy...Since the 90's and especially from 2000 onwards, 7" and wider rims have been a factory option on all Commodores (not to mention other manufacturers)......It was only the poverty packs that had under 7" rims in the later era

no it was about 2010 I last looked you seem to have stopped reading when you got to the 7 inch part

max of 7 inches in total width(unless specified by the manufacturer).

"unless specified by the manufacturer" pretty much means that the factory options that you mentioned are allowed.

the important part was the 1 inch in wa anyway.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
no it was about 2010 I last looked you seem to have stopped reading when you got to the 7 inch part

"unless specified by the manufacturer" pretty much means that the factory options that you mentioned are allowed.

the important part was the 1 inch in wa anyway.

It was before that year......We look at an AU XR series Foulcan for example......But that's splitting hairs.....All I can say is, the law regarding wheel/tyre fitament has been uniform across Australia for 10 + years, to save issues arising from registration transferring state to state

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Seems I have opened a can of worms. Anyway, got a final reply from the online company I bought these from, basically saying the wheels are legal and a big screw you when I asked for a refund. Fair Trading just basically said "you accepted" I said I was told they'd be fine, they have a customer satisfaction guarantee on their site, I'm not happy, they're not doing a damn thing about sending out original order and Fair Trading just goes "submit an online complaint and we'll contact you within 30 days". F me.

So, now I have 4 Lexani LSS55 wheels which are gorgeous, just not game enough to drive in case some cop whose wife refused action the night before decides my car is his target of sexual frustration. My 2 options are, fitting better tyres for the front if I was to put them back on in which case, what size without rubbing guard, suspension etc (standard SS-V suspension) and hope cops are blind OR look for someone who has the same wheels in 8.5 all round who would love a staggered setup and do a swap.

Thoughts??

Yes, the wheels are legal, providing they comply with Australian Standards (they should be marked accordingly) and yes you accepted the wheels, by signing for them and having tyres fitted to them. Where they are illegal is, having them fitted to the car......If you had the wheels fitted to the car, by a tyre company, they should have known better. Part of their job is to be fully aware of all the laws relating to the fitament of wheels and tyres to a car, so the car is roadworthy and safe to drive, with them fitted. So unfortunately it seems as though you'll be stuck with 2 unwanted wheels they you'll have to decide what to do with them.

Unfortunately for you, this is one of the pit falls buying wheels over the good ol' interweb.....Personally and professionally, I would remove these wheels from the front as they are illegally protruding past the guard line and fit the correct pair to the front....As for lodging a complaint.....You could however I honestly can't see you getting your hard earned dollars back due to the above reasons....But don't let my comments deter you from doing this

soleit

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE SS-V
Is the only issue the fact they stick out by a mil cause if so, a minor fender pull would fix that.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Is the only issue the fact they stick out by a mil cause if so, a minor fender pull would fix that.

You could try that.....Also, check that the front track hasn't increased more than 26MM from the widest track available for your era car. This might be another stumbling point.

To check the track, grab a tape measure and measure from the centre of the tyre on 1 side, to the centre of the tyre on the other point....then find out the widest track for your model and take it from there.