Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is it worth upgrading from an SV6 to a SS?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I’d do it for the future resale alone. I’ll be selling my V6 and getting the same car with an LS.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Full traction under the speed limit? What would I lose my license over if I am not near pedestrians? I am mid-20's and haven't got a ticket yet (knock knock).

How much of an increase could I get from tuning my SV6? (or do you mean the SS)

Both of my comments related to the V8 or T6.

If you make a habit of taking off full throttle with either of these cars even without breaking traction they will both accelerate quick enough to draw the attention of the cops.

I’ve not always been the most sane of drivers and know the price you can pay for being over exuberant but I eventually learnt.

A few years back I was sitting at the lights in my HSV bopping away minding my own business with a young fella and his mates in an XR6 in the lane beside me doing everything they could to get my attention.

I kept looking forward and lit up the cam with a little rev just before the lights changed.

When it did turn green the XR6 took off like a scalded cat and I eased away, I could see the cop sitting 2 cars behind me before we even stopped at the lights.

The XR6 didn’t break traction (I don’t think it could have) but that didn’t stop the siren coming on and the cop scooting around the cars to pull him up.

I’m not a wowser and being critical, so have all the fun in the world, I know I use to and I have enough tickets and defects on record to prove it but I was just making a comment if all you want the car for is to accelerate hard from the lights then it will quickly loss it shine after you’ve been pulled over a few times unless you are as dumb as me and took forever to grow wise.

These days I love driving slow in fast cars.

I wouldn’t bother to tune an SV6 but that’s just me, I’ve never owned one to know if it would be worth it or not.

P.S. - It's pretty hard to full throttle a quick car from most lights and not edge out the speed limit, in fact I'd say almost impossible.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The V8's aren't just about going fast. They offer someone who likes to drive a really nice experience. Like many cars with the right motor fitted and great design. The V6 has always been a lot of work since the idea in the VN. If only they stuck with the Nissan straight 6 like they were going to do. We would be in a different place right now.
The V8's just sell them selves. the V6's are always backed up with convincing blabber about economy etc to try sell the idea.
My V6 works bloody hard to lug the Crewman around and the L77 or L98 would be spot on.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
I have been considering upgrading to a VF2 6.2L SS.

Is the low end torque much higher going from 0-60 or 0-80km/h? (If you have driven both)

Am I getting anything else worthwhile except a bigger engine? (already got satnav)

How is the fuel economy for someone with a lead foot? (I get about 12-14L/100km)

Should I just swap for a XR6 Turbo and get it tuned for more power? (considering anything under 25k with great power to weight ratios and great reliability)

If anyone has any personal experience or thoughts I would love to hear it, Cheers.
Hey brah..you don't come to holden forum and ask if you should buy Ford ;)
Anyway...If i was you I would test drive an SS and most of your questions would be answered...

I had SV6 previously and now have an SS...
I would not go back...ever...

PS. Don't buy a V8 if the fuel economy is your primary concern...but in saying that SV6 Vs SS in the same driving conditions in my case varied by about 3L per 100km

wagon37

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline Wagon, VZ Executive Wagon
I hired a VF2 SV6 a few times from AVIS/Budget and then later purchased a stock VF1 SS. Found there wasn't much difference apart from the nicer interior in the SS. In saying that, once I got the exhaust done, it was infinitely better than the SV6 (!)

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Full traction under the speed limit? What would I lose my license over if I am not near pedestrians? I am mid-20's and haven't got a ticket yet (knock knock).

When I was young if I took off full throttle at the lights people two suburbs away knew about it.

Ah the simpler days of open exhausts and laying rubber and being issued a ticket for ‘undue noise manner operated’ and being told to behave.

The laws are very different today and I don’t know what the ticket would be for but hooning isn’t tolerated and a full throttle release at the lights is considered hooning and law of averages says you’d eventually get seen by a cop.

As I said I've never been a saint and the last time I left a set of lights at full throttle the fellow on the motorbike in the lane next to me pulled up beside me again a few traffic lights down the road with his jaw dragging along the road and asked me what the f... is that.

It was back in 2010 at North Rocks and it was the first time he’d ever seen a C63 do its ‘axe murdering’ trick.

My wife was silent for the rest of the trip home and after she got out and I used a pair of pliers to remove her fingernails from the dash I said to her, “sorry, my foot slipped”.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS-V & VU S1
manual SS here - I'm doing between 13-14L city. My 'best score' on the dash is 7.8 on a trip up north (nfi how Lol seeing that surprised me)
In saying that, I didn't buy the SS with fuel economy in mind. On the one test drive I did, as soon as the car started up: that rumble was it for me. Even till now, the noise of the thing always brings a smile to my face. Can't put a price on that.

RED LION

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Redline
If you’re used to driving a VF I’m thinking you’ll be very disappointed with the FG. The VF is in a different league as far as driving and quality. If that doesn’t matter and all you want is bang for your buck power then the XR6 is where it’s at.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
If money is a problem but you still want power get an XR6T. Much cheaper to modify than the SS. In saying that the VF2 is much nicer car to drive than the XR6T, and it's much nicer on the interior. If you're buying an auto I preferred the GM box compared to the box in the FGX XR6T, never driven an XR6T manual though.

Fuel eco for a 6L 6M for myself is 14L/100. Could only imagine it's worse with an extra .2L of displacement.

0-100 times is 5 seconds for the SS and 7 seconds for the SV6 so that should tell you the difference between the two. As other posters have said it really opens up higher in the rev range.
You'd be first person I've heard prefers the GM auto over the ZF, that's one area Holden's been behind for a long time.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
You'd be first person I've heard prefers the GM auto over the ZF, that's one area Holden's been behind for a long time.
Nope. I'm another advocate. A tuned 6L80E is a nice transmission in my opinion.