Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is my VE Calais a write-off?

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
Sorry, but also my car didn't nearly look as bad as that either when it was classed as a repairable write off. The rules for repairable write off and non repairable are crazy. The same panel beater had a 2013 VE Commodore Sedan written off because fresh water entered just over the bottom door trim. The car had only done 3K. No damage at all, it smelt like a new car, drove and ran perfectly but was classed as a non-repairable write off. ]He sold the car to a guy in Fiji who will get it on the road. I really question the insurance companies who raise their insurance premiums while making these decisions on whats repairable and whats not. Seems its easier to just tick the box rather than actually assess.
Sorry about your car too dude.....that was one crazy piece of white trash that went to town on it

jobs this big dont get the box ticked. if this job gets accessed by a private racv approved shop it will then be visited by an actual accessor on site and the quote will be amended. if the shop and accessor dont agree on the price a tow truck will come and pick it up and it will go to the next lowest bidder.

Drakul

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V Calais
do what you can to push for it to get written off but dont hold your breath. its up to the accessor what happens to your car. best thing is to start the process let them know whats up. im seeing more and more heavily damaged late model cars being saved at my work, id say yours has a very good chance of being repaired (but again i havent seen it in person so i could be wrong). they will send your car to the auctions as a last resort...

Yeah I will just have to push the fact that although I can park in the garage at home, my vehicle is parked outside at work and there is access to the general public..and given that the offenders know my vehicle already, even if I change plates this will most likely happen again. It's a safety issue and it may escalate. Hopefully they understand the situation and we can work together. If the repair bill is borderline write off then I might have some luck. If it's only a couple thousand then obviously I have no chance but resell value would still be quite high on it...

I've got no idea how much it would fetch at the insurance auctions or how much they would get for parts....so it's going to be hard for me to use that in my argument..guess it all adds up to whether the payout to me minus the money they can get for auctioning the car is more or less the amount they'd have to fork out for repairs.

Speaking to the assessor in the arvo today or tomorrow morning so will have an answer hopefully soon.

Thanks for all your help too mate, greatly appreciate it.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
as a copper as well ,( in NZ), something tells me you have idea who may be responsible , in any case its still well out of order , but sadly this sort of thing sometimes comes with the job , eh . I know how it feels mate , so you really do have my empathy on this . :beer chug:

Drakul

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V Calais
Ok just spoke to the assessor not long ago, this is the go:

Repair bill is currently sitting at $11k, WITHOUT the repairs to the roof, which needs to be replaced. So that combined should make it roughly $16k...the assessor reckons he will get it down to roughly $14k.

My car is insured for agreed value of almost $23k....he said he is waiting to hear back from the auctions as to how much theyre willing to pay for the car, he assumes $6-$8k....meaning that if they were to pay me out $23k, they would be out anywhere from 15-18k depending on how much the auctions gives them, so obviously its cheaper for them to just repair it rather than write it off.

HOWEVER, I explained to him that I am willing to lower the agreed value in order to have it written off..the way I see it, if I lower the agreed value to $20k...then if they pay me out that, theyll only be out 12-14k depending on what they get from the auctions...rather than a definite 14k from the repairs..and they wont have to deal with the headache of the repairs taking too long/being stuffed up and having to be redone etc.

His response was that he is still waiting to hear the exact repair bill (as there is some dispute over the cost of the roof replacement) and how much the auctions would be willing to give the insurance company for it...so it all depends on that. He said we "should be able to work something out", so i'm taking that as a good sign. He said market value is $15k (its an 06 model thats done a fair few km's)....so hopefully they don't force me to either accept a market value payout or have it repaired.

I mean, it is MY insurance policy right? If I want to lower the agreed value at any stage (from 23 to 20), I don't see why I shouldn't be allowed to do that... I'm making it better financially for RACV as well as easier for them time/effort wise.

Thoughts?

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
well youve stated your piece to your insurance, hopefully for the sake of a grand or 2 they'll eat it. if it goes to the auctions most likely it will go towards the high side (arabs always drive the price up) and ishtar and his cousin habib will take it home to their shed and bog it to kingdom come... hope it all works out in your favor.

mr calais 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 2003
What's trade in value if it's repaired on another car? If it was my car then I would want it repaired and a loan car..

Drakul

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V Calais
What's trade in value if it's repaired on another car? If it was my car then I would want it repaired and a loan car..

Trade in value is like $7-$9k...which seems ridiculously low but trade in price always is.

ASxTecH

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF LSA Maloo
Wow thats some fair damage they went out of the way to get it all. If i was you who ever done this knows where you live and im sure they will decide todo somthing stupid again. I would be putting up some hidden camera's around the outside of the house to get them if they try strike again.
Even the good old fake camera in a well seen place will scare people off

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Wow thats some fair damage they went out of the way to get it all. If i was you who ever done this knows where you live and im sure they will decide todo somthing stupid again. I would be putting up some hidden camera's around the outside of the house to get them if they try strike again.
Even the good old fake camera in a well seen place will scare people off

Or camp out with a 12 gage and some rock salt loads

mr calais 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 2003
You would think if they have been watching you and done this to the ve then it won't matter what car you have next if they come back.. That's why I'd repair it.. Why go looking for another car that takes yonks to find and then this happens again..