Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is this normal..

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Fascinating :) Your coils appear to be thicker than mine, and you appear to have less of them! :p

edit: I'd be curious to see those springs off the car (not that we're going to do this :p) to see if they have the same dramatic close-wound / loose-wound setup as OPs car has.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Fascinating :) Your coils appear to be thicker than mine, and you appear to have less of them! :p

edit: I'd be curious to see those springs off the car (not that we're going to do this :p) to see if they have the same dramatic close-wound / loose-wound setup as OPs car has.
Interesting indeed. I might have the box in the shed still I'll grab the part number for you.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Box is gone so no good on the part number. As far as I know though they were just VB-VP V8 supers.

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
nothing to input unfortunately, BUT I post here nonetheless so it comes up in my searches and I shall see the final outcome :)

I have supers all round, don't think they bind but can't remember having looked. In the past had same problem as AirStrike, hard to see past 19s w/dish :)

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
nothing to input unfortunately, BUT I post here nonetheless so it comes up in my searches and I shall see the final outcome :)

I have supers all round, don't think they bind but can't remember having looked. In the past had same problem as AirStrike, hard to see past 19s w/dish :)

lol... My Vp (v6) has no binding except for the very top half coil as airstrikes...

Thats on supers.

As i said earlier, there should be thicker and less coils in the supers to take extra load and retain natural travel. Shorter = stiffer hence why cutting is bad as you just have less coils without the spacing and thickening of a proper shorter coil. IMHO, the op's springs are either very different, wrong or stuffed. There should be no binding static. if they sit like that at rest then if you run over something, there is like 2-3 coils to recoil, period. The only situation where they would work is if the front lifted out of a ditch say and the other 3-4 coils could expand then recoil, however, they would provide little to no dameneing.

aZk.

Brin

GOT MANG?
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Something fully mangin'
Well after jumping in my engine bay for 10 mins whilst the other half had his hands under the wheel arch.. we've come to the conclusion that its something in the shocker/strut.

He says there is a nut, right up in near the coil near the top in there thats possbily come loose.. not the top hat. underneath.

when someone bouncy bounced on the car, i had my hand on the spring and i could feel it creaking in my hand.. poop.

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Hahaha. I think you guys are right. Me, Brin, and others I've seen are running a different spec spring from Kings. I grabbed mine second hand from the wreckers, so I have no idea about my part number :p

Even though my fronts have a couple coils give in them, they don't seem to fully bind during hard driving. I've driven a car with springs that used to bind in hard cornering, (and I wish I brought a neck brace), and my springs handle rough roads, high-g cornering etc without any issues.

I'll agree with this, though: it's FAR from an ideal setup. :p I wish I could afford coilovers *gazes into the sunset*

Brin

GOT MANG?
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Something fully mangin'
I'll also agree, i cant afford coilovers either. My part nos were khrl and khfl although i traded the wrecker the rears for even lower ones. These ones are about 3cm lower then the springs in the pic i posted

8rody

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
check the caster bar / z rod / radius rod. Tighten the nuts on both ends of the control arm and the k-frame.
Mine was loose and made this really un-nerving clunk - as the caster changed (going over bumps, rapid steering etc). :|

Probably best to throw some nolothane bushels in while your at it.

bj42turbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN Executive
Just a thought is it possible those springs are not Commodore springs and were off maybe a lighter car.

Dazz