Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JC Political Thread - For All Things Political Part 2

ivabiggen

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz Executive
for anyone who is really interested Google up Josep Goebbles, "the big lie", apologies if this has been posted allready, I've not read all 124 pages.

ivabiggen

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz Executive
quote attributed Benjamin Disraeli an 19th century pommy PM, "there are three kind of lies: lies, dammed lies, and STATISTICS" anyone can bleat stats, up too you if you believe.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
quote attributed Benjamin Disraeli an 19th century pommy PM, "there are three kind of lies: lies, dammed lies, and STATISTICS" anyone can bleat stats, up too you if you believe.

Statistics were a little less reliable back in 1850. If you want to quote Disraeli.. he also said "As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information."

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Am I the only one that would love to be a fly on the wall at your place when the political news came on whilst you were watching? ;) Not saying you do but I could imagine you getting verbal at the TV and the thought makes me lol.

Not at ae TV is rarely on here, when it is on and the news starts and I hear any word from Canberra i gets muted or turned off. I do not get anfry at things :)

When we have a PM involved in this crap http://www.smh.com.au/world/the-man...s-ghosts-of-gillards-past-20121012-27i27.html there is just no point getting angry, in fact, I plan on using the "young and naive" argument should I ever get audited and found to have done something wrong on my tax return :p

ivabiggen

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz Executive
Statistics were a little less reliable back in 1850. If you want to quote Disraeli.. he also said "As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information."
this is true, but why does Josep Goebbles come to mind when i remember: WMD, children overboard, aussie wheat board ect, ect. there will allways be this bs going on because it is the nature of the beast,(human nature).

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
Am i the only one who turns the TV off whenever I see political news now?
I'm home after the news, and then i can't be stuffed. It's funny how much more fun you have when life is focused on your work and not a bunch of children muck racking each other all day.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
the only problem with not paying some sort of attention.

they have to run the country ಠ_ಠ
they really need to get back to actually doing sensible bits and pieces for the community and not themselves.
even with the local elections its the same. all the candidates are as bad as each other (well my area anyway). their ideas will not work. and they have no idea what people actually want.
we're doomed

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
I no longer watch TV news, I will listen to radio news or read it on the net, or read the paper (unfortunately though we still get the daily telegraph for some reason - a real s**t sandwich!!). Anyway, much of the 'news' we get is just airy-fairy fluff, a distraction from the real issues we face as a species - resource depletion, human exploitation and rights abuses, cancer, obesity, war. There is room for investigative journalism in the media, but it seems to be focused on fat kids, dodgy builders, the best buys in face cream, or combinations thereof.

Anyway, back to politics - I agree with Drawnrite; many of the folks on our council are developers. This is a common known fact, and many are irritated by it. I had a go at council (didn't get in myself but our no.1 on our ticket did), in my first ever paper interview I said I was a 'regular joe, not a real estate agent or developer'. Well....I got a letter from one of the councillors (who is a developer/agent) asking why I said such a thing, that he wasn't a developer (bulls**t!) and that we 'respect eachother's occupation's'. OOh dear, I hit a nerve... :p as a councillor a developer can rubber-stamp all sorts of development that is not within community's interests.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
I also don't watch TV news. In fact, although my computer monitor is a large LCD TV, it doesn't even currently have an aerial plugged into it. I don't watch TV, period.

I listen to ABC radio mostly, and on issues of interest, I search the net. It's very apparent when you do it this way just how biased each of the papers are.. the same stories receive very different treatments according to which paper they are in. I try to read them all, to achieve a sense of balance, but only on subjects which interest me.

Unfortunately when it comes to newspaper journalism though, there usually seems to be only a couple of subjects which could actually be called newsworthy each week, the rest is simply a waste of trees.

TV shows such as ACA are a scourge. Invariably blatant advertising combined with some sensationalism to make you tune in to begin with.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I also don't watch TV news. In fact, although my computer monitor is a large LCD TV, it doesn't even currently have an aerial plugged into it. I don't watch TV, period.

I listen to ABC radio mostly, and on issues of interest, I search the net. It's very apparent when you do it this way just how biased each of the papers are.. the same stories receive very different treatments according to which paper they are in. I try to read them all, to achieve a sense of balance, but only on subjects which interest me.

And how would you rate the ABC when it comes to bias reporting?

TV shows such as ACA are a scourge. Invariably blatant advertising combined with some sensationalism to make you tune in to begin with.

ACA/TodayTonight are not current affairs what so ever. The problem is that over time, what I would consider proper current affairs just doesn't rate. Who do you blame? Commercial TV or the public? I say the public - we get what we deserve unfortunately. Every time any of the commercial channels tries to do "pure" current affairs/journalism it bombs badly in the ratings. It seems that the public at large just want to see what the latest fad diet, boob job and scumbag tradesman are up to at 6:30 each night. It's our own stupid fault IMO.

Reaper