Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JC Political Thread - For All Things Political Part 2

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Did he receive a mandate for that tax? NO.

I support the GST, don't get me wrong, I think a consumption based tax is the best and fairest possible. The more you use, the more tax you pay, good stuff.... but I am a little bored with hearing about how he took it to the polls and won a mandate for it.

He LOST the popular vote, the election was decided on preferences. In order to get those preferences he had to do a deal with the Democrats on the GST, a deal which in turn split and eventually became the demise of the Democrats altogether.

A deal incidentally which complicated the hell out of the GST, because the bleeding hearts among the Democrats wanted a bunch of exempted stuff. It should have been a blanket tax, no exemptions in my view.

Mandate? I think not... The majority of people voted against him. And he knew it. And he knew why. And still he went through with it, because he had done the deals and got the job anyway, and what the hell, he soooooo wanted to.

You gotta love the silly way democracy can work sometimes huh?

They all speak with the same forked tongues mate..

Of course he got a mandate to do it. He operated in the same electoral system that has operated forever in Australia. The key is to win a majority of seats. A few years earlier Hawke didn't win the vote but won more seats to be returned to government as did Gillard in the most recent election. All of that is bye the bye. My point in the post was that leader actually gave the public the opportunity to vote on the matter which was a major policy change.

I did find it humorous that earlier in this term of government Gillard did acknowledge that the GST was the right way to go and now thinks it is good for Australia.

Reaper

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
I would just like to say that although I am obviously not nor have ever been a fan of John Howard's politics, and I disagree with many of his views and actions, I have always admired and respected his integrity.

Many of the things I believe he did wrong I am sure he did not see as being wrong. In the case of the GST he obviously believed in it enough to put aside any other misgivings, such as whether this was really what the people voted for.

I certainly believe his intentions were always honourable, well considered, and genuine, and that he always believed he was acting in the best interest of the people. In the case of the GST, the people got over it and a genuinely fair tax was introduced.

All politicians open their mouths a little too far and make promises they can't keep, and he certainly had his share of that, but a much smaller share than most. He is a man that thinks before he speaks, an admirable trait.

Well said.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Ok, so first things, once in a hundred year flood, hmm, how old is the planet?

How relevant is the question: "How old is the planet?"?

Just to confirm, is it global warming or Climate change? It seems the goal posts keep switching.

There's a difference?

Given the planet has warmed something like .4 degree in 16 years (not what the climate models predicted lol) I do not think it is that bad. We have great crops, higher yields etc. Interestingly the weather patterns are still following a good trend. Even better is we are gaining water even though we have had no new dams built and our population here in vic has quadrupled!

So extreme heat waves, droughts, floods and storms is "a good trend".

Anyway, heads you win, tails I lose, thats climate change right? First it was droughts blah blah blah now its about floods, blah blah blah.

If you step away from the denialist stuff and start to think for yourself, more extreme weather means both worse droughts and worse floods.

Didn't the leak IPCC report have aa statement saying major weather events have actually decreased not increased and severity is relatively unchanged?

When the final version is released we'll see what it says.

As for the fires, ask any firey and they will tell you, fighting fires in wood lands that have 5-6 years of dead growth build up is near impossible, heaven forbid this actually shows a bit of common sense in why it is bad green policy to allow them to build up so much fuel.

Surely you're not suggesting that the record heat wave and unusual weather pattern under which the fires were worst was due to a bad fire management practice?

PS: I have seen what climate science has not and is not predicting,

Obviously not.

all I have seen is changing goal posts, first it was dramatic sea rise, which have not happened

Yet. If you actually understood what the climate scientists are reporting you would realise that it will take time - centuries to millennia - for the planet to reach a new equilibrium. What we do now will have effects that far into the future. That does not mean that we won't see some effects earlier.

then years of drought and bugger all rain, not much has changed with la nina and el nino cycles so meh

The cycles have climate change superimposed over the top. Right now aren't we supposed be in a neutral part of the phase? And we're getting extreme weather events.

when the preachers start practicing what they preach, I will stand up and listen, until then the fact flannery and all his followers live in coastal towns or on tidal river systems I think there is not much to worry about.

What "followers"? All of "them" live adjacent to bodies of water that will be (or are) subject to flooding do "they"?

I do recall that Tim Flannery lives near a river. Maybe he thinks he'll do his job and we'll listen?

Just curious, how much money have governments handed out to "climate science"?

If it contributes to a better understanding of how the climate works, does it matter?

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
As you broadly infered, science is undeniable, and the science shows the world has gone through climate change cycles for as far back as it is possible to see through core samples, etc.

Why did the climate change in the past? Why is changing now? The same physical principles apply but the causes are known to differ.

Also, just because someone decided to brand a weather event, once in a hundred years, doesn't actually mean it will only happen every hundred years. Just means that statistically, it may not be probably, but I don't think nature is across the arbitrary concept of statistics nor does nature seem to abide by and statistic based predictions.

Yes, it could just be a fluke that we've had several of those events in the last decade or so. Of course that is not very likely.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Tim Flannery - Govco's appointed expert on the subject:

2005: Predicted NSW could be in a permanent drought because of global warming and dams will be dry within 2 years.
2008: Adelaide may run out of water by 2009
2007: Brisbane will never again have dam-filling rains :rolleyes:
2007: Global warming will dry out Australia so much that Desal will be the only salvation for our 3 biggest cities
2011: "There are islands in the Torres Strait that are already being evacuated and are feeling the impacts," (which ones? - I can't find any)

I haven't bothered to check that what you are attributing to him is accurate. There is certainly no context but Tim Flannery is not the whole of climate science. The broad predictions by the various models by, contributed to by thousands of other scientists, are looking to be correct.

I am fine with the concept of climate change persae. Has been happening for as long as the world has existed I'm sure.

The question is: Why? Why has it changed in the past, why is it changing now and why will it change into the future?

I do however greet stupid outlandish claims with a very healthy dose of sceptasism. Just because a so-called expert comes to some conclusion, I always look at the motivation. No different to presenting evidence at a trial. You can get 50 experts on both sides of the fence to both argue in equally convincing fashion that their point of view is correct (although completely opposite to the other side). What we are talking about is drawing a conclusion about evidence presented and that conclusion is nothing more than opinion. When opinions are involved, I always look at potential motivating factors at which case is mostly where the money is coming from.

There's not 50 on one side and 50 on the other. There are a very small number of people saying it's not happening and a much larger group with evidence that it is. Of course, within that much larger group there is debate as to how much and how fast and what the full consequences will be, but qualitatively they are all saying the same thing.

Actually my business is indirectly good for the environment, locking up carbon within timber products that are stored in houses.

Good to hear but I was writing hypothetically. If you were one of the Koch brothers, say, you would (they do) have a strong incentive to obfuscate.

I don't see your point??? If you are asking can money/beliefs sway opinion the other way??? Yep. No doubt about it.

I am saying that scientists are less skilled (unsurprisingly) at PR and have much less money and political influence than do the businesses that will be rendered obsolete by AGW. How much funding of politicians, particularly in the US, comes from oil, coal and gas companies and how much comes from individual scientists? How much political influence do they have in terms of how many people they employ? How much political influence do the various groups that comprise the religious right in the US have?

Nope. Haven't read either report.

Perhaps you should. Both are (or were) available online to read at no charge. (They'll take a while to read.) I'll also throw in a reminder that the IPCC reports are also available online.

My opinion is that it's impossible to say one way or the other how much humans contribute to climate change.

One of the 2007 IPCC reports provides a breakdown of the contributions that various human activities are believed to contribute to climate change. That's the best we've got at the moment (there's another report due soon). I challenge you to find an equivalent report that reaches different conclusions.

There is some room for error in those breakdowns and that is acknowledged and estimated. Some of the margin is in the mathematical (statistical) artifact of small data sets which doesn't necessarily mean the results are inaccurate, just not as precise as is desirable.

That said, I don't see a down side to lowering co2 emissions. Taxes don't do that. Actions do.

That depends on the level of tax and how it's applied. There is certainly room for discussion over the best way to eliminate emissions. That's a different discussion as to whether it's necessary or not.

I have mentioned before, there is a very real probability that our carbon tax will increase world co2 emissions, not lower them.

In the short term, that's arguably true. What matters is what is the best way to move the Australian economy to one with lower - ultimately no - emissions. At the moment we have a highly Carbon intensive economy. That's a very dangerous position to be in when a penalty or even prohibition on emitting is a certainty at some point.

Direct action is measurable and very clear weather it's working or not. Incentives like banning incandesant light globes - great idea (and idea who implemented it??). I support phasing out coal fired power. My personal preferance is go nuclear. Plonk it next to a desal plant and kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Both of these things are clear and measurable as to their effectiveness. As for the Carbon wealth redistribution scheme - pffft. Who knows???

Reaper

The problem is that it's very difficult for government bodies to cover all the changes that will occur (and be needed). As above, the actual reduction in emissions, while desirable, is less important than changing the structure of the economy to move away from emitting.

I doubt any government is going to tell people to move place of dwelling or business in order to reduce their AGW impact (nor would I want them to). They may well do so with a price incentive.

Last edited:

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
When the final version is released we'll see what it says.

No doubt the goal posts will shift again.

Just curious though, if things are that dire surely weather records should have record hottest temps and most snowfall etc all occurring in the past 16 years (of which hasn't warmed) right? I mean you said yourself we are having "extreme heatwaves"...although Melbourne seems to be having another chilly summer.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Melbourne of course, being the centre of the universe, is the only place where weather is relevant.

Didn't Melbourne have the hottest ever recorded summer night in November? Wasn't there a week of close to or over 40, with 3 consecutive 43c days? brrrrrr hate those chilly summers..

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Melbourne of course, being the centre of the universe, is the only place where weather is relevant.

Didn't Melbourne have the hottest ever recorded summer night in November? Wasn't there a week of close to or over 40, with 3 consecutive 43c days? brrrrrr hate those chilly summers..

Currently 21 outside with a 50% chance of rain.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline

Ok, how about the US then? 2 records broken in the past 15 or so years for heat. 3 snow records etc...the list goes on.

We keep getting told that carbon dioxide is the problem yet carbon dioxide is increasing AND WE ARE NOT warming.

Wow, one nightly record out of how many days?

As for 3 40+ days...nice way to make something up. Melbourne has not had any more than 2 days of temps over 30 in December and January. Brrr hate those make believe hot summers.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Ok, how about the US then? 2 records broken in the past 15 or so years for heat. 3 snow records etc...the list goes on.

We keep getting told that carbon dioxide is the problem yet carbon dioxide is increasing AND WE ARE NOT warming.

Wow, one nightly record out of how many days?

As for 3 40+ days...nice way to make something up. Melbourne has not had any more than 2 days of temps over 30 in December and January. Brrr hate those make believe hot summers.

You have answered your own question with your opening statement. Record heat, record snow, the list goes on.. your words.

I don't make stuff up. Sorry, I got the dates wrong on the 43c, it was 2009. My bad.
I guess that means the statute of limitations on facts has expired, since that was so long ago.

You continue to pretend you don't understand the concept of averages and trends. I'm sure you must.