Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JC Political Thread - For All Things Political Part 2

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
so, the WA senate results seem to be coming in.

6% swing against federal liberal, 5% against federal labor, 7% towards the greens and 7.5% towards PUP. greens, pup, and labor 1 seat each, liberals 2 with the possibility of losing 1 and the 6th seat still un-certain.

WA has spoken and it looks like, in palmer's words, that "WA is sick of being raped".

- Julie bishop.

seems as though the libs are scared that they may not be able to push through whatever they want now.

Eh?? I think that any government would expect to have to negotiate with the senate to get stuff thru. Over the last 20 years it's very much an exception when they don't. Time to get your head out of your arse I would suggest.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
The WA results are a bit of a puzzle. Okay, so there is already some ill feeling towards the government and that is reflected to some extent in the polling. No big revelation there - incumbent governments usually start to lose popularity and support once their policies start to take effect.

The fact that Labor also lost electoral support (only 21% primary vote, which continues the dismal figures for Labor across the nation) shows that Shorten isn't a convincing leader and the Labor brand is still very much on the nose. Recent federal and state corruption inquires don't help their cause.

But the Greens - their vote increased. Bugger me. How they can continue to convince people that they are a viable alternative is beyond me, unless their support is principally protest votes against the Government and Labor.

Then there's the PUP. Another lost cause, but gaining an additional seat.

Looks like WA could become as flaky as Qld....

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
Didn't the ALP candidate practically get down on his knees whilst grovelling to the CFMEU after the election? Sure that helped the ALP's image.

The Greens will never be a viable alternative - too many loonies and too left wing. Look at Sarah HY and Milne. Makes Bob Brown look reasonable.

Me thinks once this budget comes out, the shits gonna hit the fan. Whilst I'm starting to think this current government is as useless as the last, its only saving grace is that it looks like everyone will have to share the budget pain, not just the select few.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Your comment regarding this government being as useless as the last makes me wonder what a government would have to do to be considered effective. I reckon the Coalition is trying to rectify matters but is being thwarted by the Opposition and Greens, and hamstrung by its own policies. Its saving grace at present is the results being achieved with asylum seekers but elsewhere, it seems to hit brick walls at every turn.

I think Abbott has painted himself into a corner with his pre-election undertakings not to increase the GST, not to touch pensions, to introduce the PPL and various other policies, and now is faced with massive increases in deficits for years to come. As time goes by, the capacity to lay the blame on the previous government diminishes and he will be forced to accept increasing responsibility for the financial position. Hockey is placed in an unenviable position because I believe he would love to dump the PPL and examine the GST with a view to either increasing the level, or broadening the base, but Tony has kyboshed both.

Who'd be a Federal Treasurer right now?

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
Your comment regarding this government being as useless as the last makes me wonder what a government would have to do to be considered effective. I reckon the Coalition is trying to rectify matters but is being thwarted by the Opposition and Greens, and hamstrung by its own policies. Its saving grace at present is the results being achieved with asylum seekers but elsewhere, it seems to hit brick walls at every turn.

I think Abbott has painted himself into a corner with his pre-election undertakings not to increase the GST, not to touch pensions, to introduce the PPL and various other policies, and now is faced with massive increases in deficits for years to come. As time goes by, the capacity to lay the blame on the previous government diminishes and he will be forced to accept increasing responsibility for the financial position. Hockey is placed in an unenviable position because I believe he would love to dump the PPL and examine the GST with a view to either increasing the level, or broadening the base, but Tony has kyboshed both.

Who'd be a Federal Treasurer right now?

I get what your saying re what a government would have to do to be considered useful. However your list of pre-election undertakings, to me, demonstrate that they are pretty much intent ballsing it up.

The GST being raised and its base broadened is a no brainer for revenue.

The PPL, whilst would be extremely advantageous for my wife and we won't complain if we get it, is ridiculous.

Whilst I feel more comfortable with a conservative government, I feel this one could have approached things a bit better and not make so many pre-election pledges that it knew full well it could not stick to.

Ugh, time for a coffee I think!

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
A problem with ALP is that I *heard* the no. 1 ALP senate candidate had a homophobic/transphobic rant before polling day (never heard it myself, saw reports about it on social media). Possibly turned off ALP voters.

The budget will be very 'interesting'. I would argue that a slight raise in income tax could be justified (average salary earner pays $1500 less/yr as compared to early 2000s, taking into account inflation).

Given the majority Libs got in election, i'dve thought they'd be higher up in opinion polls now. Some polls place them in a potentially election losing position.

The best thing ALP can do to ensure its long term position is to end all ties to Unions. This in itself turns many people off, and as such more conservative would-be ALP voters and members go Liberal, more socially democratic persons gravitate to the greens.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
A problem with ALP is that I *heard* the no. 1 ALP senate candidate had a homophobic/transphobic rant before polling day (never heard it myself, saw reports about it on social media). Possibly turned off ALP voters.

True. Can't recall his name, but a day or two prior to the senate election, he publically stated that his party was mad.

Well, that's partly true. He most certainly must be......

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka