Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JC Political Thread - For All Things Political Part 2

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
You left out Super.

If you're going to continue to snipe at the public servants, for Pete's sake, do some homework and get your facts right first. You apparently have the same misconceptions about their working conditions as a lot of people who have the impression they are all massively paid and enjoy the good life at your expense.

It's a funny thing about being a public servant. You not only get the mandatory 9% (or whatever the percentage now is) employer contribution - you also get the "privelage" of compulsory personal contributions. Does that apply in your case or are you able to choose whether or not to contribute to your own retirement?

So, yes, your super may be worth more when your retire, but hey, you've had contribute to it from day one from your own pay, so it damned well should be better.

Want to suggest another one? That one won't float.

Last edited:

vr94ss

walks barefoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS '94/Subi B4 TT '01
Because we had already discussed it to some extent, not because it was something that should be hidden.

Funny thing about being a public servant. You not only get the mandatory 9% (or whatever the percentage now is) employer contribution - you also get the "privelage" of compulsory personal contributions. (Unlike private enterprise).

So, yes, your super may be worth more when your retire, but hey, you've had contribute to it from day one from your own pay, so it damned well should be better.

Want to suggest another one? That one won't float.

Australian Public Service Commission - 3. Features of key remuneration components
Go down to "Table 3.7: Employer superannuation contribution as a proportion of Base Salary by classification"

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Extra Super is awesome! I get 17% employer contributed where I work plus an option to contribute another 7% if I want to. I stick with the 17% which is over $20,000 in super every year! :D

I will be pissed off if they change the age to access your super to 70 though.

vr94ss

walks barefoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS '94/Subi B4 TT '01
Extra Super is awesome! I get 17% employer contributed where I work plus an option to contribute another 7% if I want to. I stick with the 17% which is over $20,000 in super every year! :D

Where do you work? Wouldn't be at a big uni would it?

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline

The age to access super is not changing, the age to access the Pension however is.

People can still retire and access super when they like, but depending on age, depends on tax rates when drawing down. If people in this age group cannot access super for 10 years while they wait for pension access then god help us...maybe they should of spent a bit more saving for their future instead of partying on weekends or on beer, smokes and fast food.

It is sad that these days you are seen to be "old fashioned" when living within your means and not relying on handouts. The mantra today is live above your means and demand more for free when you cannot. If you cannot get this stuff for free, just start bullying politicians and yelling them down...

Still amazed at the treatment towards Julie Bishop and Sophie Mirabella...can only imagine the faux left outrage if it was Gillard.

gopher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
The age to access super is not changing, .

Not yet
But they've started talking about increasing it in their first term.
So it's only a matter of time before thos promise is broken as well

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Not yet
But they've started talking about increasing it in their first term.
So it's only a matter of time before thos promise is broken as well

They cannot change when you can access super, are they going to close down family trusts that are SMSF? I would like to see where anyone has mentioned changing when you can access your super...

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Where do you work? Wouldn't be at a big uni would it?

Close but no cigar.

The age to access super is not changing, the age to access the Pension however is.

People can still retire and access super when they like, but depending on age, depends on tax rates when drawing down. If people in this age group cannot access super for 10 years while they wait for pension access then god help us...maybe they should of spent a bit more saving for their future instead of partying on weekends or on beer, smokes and fast food.

It is sad that these days you are seen to be "old fashioned" when living within your means and not relying on handouts. The mantra today is live above your means and demand more for free when you cannot. If you cannot get this stuff for free, just start bullying politicians and yelling them down...

I know all this. And it pisses me off that people think the change of the pension age is the change in retirement age. However reports today are that there's talk of changing the age at which you can access your superannuation (currently 55 for anyone born before 1964 and 60 for those born after) to 70. While I plan on using my super as a "bonus" rather than relying on it. I will still be annoyed if I have to wait 20+ years to access it!

I would like to see where anyone has mentioned changing when you can access your super...

Heard it briefly on the radio on the drive to work this morning. Haven't looked into it beyond that.

Still amazed at the treatment towards Julie Bishop and Sophie Mirabella...can only imagine the faux left outrage if it was Gillard.

When I saw that footage one word came to mind. Animals. But then I realised even animals conduct themselves better.