Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Jolls VZ ute project

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Couldn't find a casting code; but an inspection date of 1002. That makes it VX/VU/VY. From digging around it appears you can fit a VZ wheel to VT to VY but not the other way due to the casting differnces. The VZ seems to have been one big experiment at the end of the third generation. Experimenting with ideas for the VE perhaps. I should be able to file down the casting until I get the original wheel retrimmed. Two clocksprings destroyed for no reason - what a waste. :mad:

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Did you learn something? Yes. So not wasted.

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
I also learned yesterday while ringing around the wreckers that the clockspring is VZ specific. One has a twelve track ribbon - two thick tracks for the airbag and eight smaller tracks - one for each of the sterring controls, and an earth and power for the horn. there are two unused large tracks.

Previous versions had a twelve and six wire jobbie - two for the airbag, two for the horn and two spare? I assume it is was for units with no steering wheel controls for the radio. I am unsure of how the depth of casting on the steering wheel is related as the closcksprings themselves are the same in depth as the twelve and siz track ribbons are the same width.

Doc59

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Monaro
I've been following this with interest, glad when I bought my spare steering wheel that it happened to be from a VZ ute. I could have, just as easily, grabbed a VY wheel and had the same problems. Those two unused large tracks in the clockspring could be for the later VZ's with paddle shifters??

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Hi Doc,

That makes a heap of sense. When we selcted a VZ shell to replace our written off VY I had no idea what we were getting oursleves into.

Seemed to be a straight swap of parts and a change to drive by wire. Who would have known how many additional subtle changes there were - O2 sensors, steering wheels and clocks springs, alternator etc.

This simple project has dragged on for months - mainly because of the incorrect pin out diagram in the manual - but certainly having to source the additional unforeseen components has sucked up time and consumed precious beer tokens!

Had a win today; clock spring came up on Gumtree locally - so we jumped on it. May have her road legal tomorrow.

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I've been following this with interest, glad when I bought my spare steering wheel that it happened to be from a VZ ute. I could have, just as easily, grabbed a VY wheel and had the same problems. Those two unused large tracks in the clockspring could be for the later VZ's with paddle shifters??
They are. These have been used already by @caeo (I think) with his 6L-80e conversion. Added the paddles and was able to use those two spare pins.

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Picked up a clock spring on Gumtree locally yesterday. Fitted it last night and visited the mechanic a sparrow's this morning. 5 minutes - rego passed (got to love country towns), Green slip done off to RMS this morning; wheel alignment this afternoon and she will be back on the road FINALLY!

Last edited:

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
All went well yesterday - rego and wheel alignment complete.

Took her for the first real run on the road - a bit about town and then up the Barton Highway. I knew there would be a difference in the old girl; however, the difference was more pronounced than I expected.

The VCM 262 has lived up to expectations. The idle is a little lumpy - enough to gently rock the ute but nothing extreme. It provides for good drivability - easy start from stopped position. The mantic clutch is smooth but changes are firm.

The road performance matches what is shown on the dyno - I can notice a difference from about 2000 rpm up through the rev range. Difficult to believe this is the same engine from our old VY. Fuel consumption is a tad over 17 litres per 100km during testing. I was getting about 11 litres in the VY around town during normal operation and down to 9 on trips. I will see how this goes as we start to use her for day to day run around duties.

Now that the mechanical all appears to be sorted - time to turn our attention to making this old girl look good.

Fascia for the head unit has arrived and I have the reverse camera ready to go in. The SWC harness is currently out of stock so I am debating as to pulling the console out twice or just doing it the one time and paint it while it is out.

Will start work on prepping the exterior for paint. Haven't driven around a work in progress like this since I was in my 20s.

We are under the pump with our building projects so I will see what I can fit into the available hours.

For me the fun tickets have been worth it.

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
I'm learning this video stuff so I trust it will improve as the build goes on. Attached is a quick vid on how she feels at idle. Not much sense for the sound but she definitely gets a bit of a rock up and sounds as good as she performs. :p

Please excuse the CAT steering wheel cover; I needed something to get her passed rego. There will be a bit of time before I have the beer tokens to get the original recovered. At this point in time my preferred option for doing the business isn't taking on any more work on until March 2021.:(

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Yesterday was her first full work day and it was a bit of a fail. We were working at split sites and I needed to clear the current site of tools and rubbish to get the flooring team in this morning. It was in town so I started out with the Hilux to finish some electrical work than loaded her to the brim with tools etc and swapped them over.

Took a couple of loads to the tip - she drove well loaded - much better than the VY when she was on SSL. The FE2 suspension appears to be a good compromise between height and performance.

Then it was off into Yass to pick up a security screen door. When I got to Yass there was a screaming noise when I turned the wheel. Checked the power steering and low on fluid. Checked around the pump - dry as a Nun's. Checked under the car - lovely film of ATF all down the driver's side. Topped her up and did the run back home. On investigation I found the high pressure flex hose had split and was spraying fluid.

Luckily son 2 was able to call in some favours from mates. He was able to get a replacement picked up in Canberra for $90 (RRP $280 odd). He did a run into Canberra overnight and will bring it out to site this morning.

Tomorrow was going to be installing the reverse camera, replacing the mast in the antenna and starting on the interior - I guess it is now fitting the power steering hose.

If she was a worker first day on the job she would be getting her marching order. I have a soft spot for her so I guess she will get another go!