Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Jump started flat battery - service esp

Matt ssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF s2 ssv redline
Hey guys,
i was just installing some new LED headlights and hi beams on my 2016 vf ssv redline, i accidentally left the lights on for an hour or 2 once done and flattened the battery...
So i jumpstarted it, it did not start very easily (struggled to turn over) but then ran started and ran fine for a bit, i took it for a drive and the service esp and traction light came on, the speedometer was not working at all and it lost alot of power and was a bit jumpy under acceleration... i already had the 8 fuel injectors replaced under warranty not long ago and this feels like the same problem when driving- but only after a jump start..
Any advice would be great thanks!!
I will be heading to mechanic monday 110%

Hq King

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 2 Magnum
Hey guys,
i was just installing some new LED headlights and hi beams on my 2016 vf ssv redline, i accidentally left the lights on for an hour or 2 once done and flattened the battery...
So i jumpstarted it, it did not start very easily (struggled to turn over) but then ran started and ran fine for a bit, i took it for a drive and the service esp and traction light came on, the speedometer was not working at all and it lost alot of power and was a bit jumpy under acceleration... i already had the 8 fuel injectors replaced under warranty not long ago and this feels like the same problem when driving- but only after a jump start..
Any advice would be great thanks!!
I will be heading to mechanic monday 110%
Try disconnecting battery for a bit seems to work for people with similar problems . I think you want a fully charged battery as well

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
ESP service message on DIC is related to Electronic Stability Program. A Traction warning light is related sequelae. But... How and where do the injectors and fuel system come into this?? People have had this message (a lot of them) and then gone and replaced the injectors, yet the message persists. So yes, 110% see a techie.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
a dodgy battery will produce a pile of false error messages and if you drained the battery it can damage the battery.
with the battery being drained and the issues starting after the jump start i would at minimum charge it properly or just replace it.

the battery can seem to hold charge and work but the plethora of random errors can persist until the battery is replaced.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
a dodgy battery will produce a pile of false error messages and if you drained the battery it can damage the battery.
with the battery being drained and the issues starting after the jump start i would at minimum charge it properly or just replace it.

the battery can seem to hold charge and work but the plethora of random errors can persist until the battery is replaced.

Probably. But I don't have experience with a dodgy battery, or even a battery on its death knees producing spurious messages (just a VZ battery that was discovered 'near to the end' during routine scheduled servicing test). I suspect in the majority of cases enthusiasts have no idea what they are doing when they are presented with the ESP message on the DIC. Even the workshop manual, relating to ESP and TC, makes absolutely no association with the engine! Certainly, I am not the only one in this train of thought. The first line of attack follows an irritating motif, "I've found the injectors are not working so I've replaced them all but the problem came back..." (etc.).

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Probably. But I don't have experience with a dodgy battery, or even a battery on its death knees producing spurious messages

i have experience with it with the most recent one being a young family i know with a 2014 malibu that had the alternator crap its self and the battery was drained until the vehicle would not drive any longer.
the dealer replaced the alternator and jump started it and handed the vehicle back and i mentioned to the guy that owned it to replace the battery because of its age and being drained.
2 weeks later he rang me asking to help out with a battery because when they drive around random errors keep popping up and the mylink shuts off with the vehicle coughing and spluttering etc.

i popped a new century battery in for them and they have been good.

like any computer system as soon as you get irregular voltages to certain parts/components the entire system will start to screw around.
a lot of sensors work off resistance or voltage changes to provide feedback to the ecu/bcm/tcm and with unreliable voltages everything can get messed up.
jump starting the vehicle can mess things up too, even with a good battery.

if the vehicle was fine before the battery issue then i would not goto previous issues that were fixed because the symptoms are similar without first addressing what was done when the issue started.

Matt ssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF s2 ssv redline
Try disconnecting battery for a bit seems to work for people with similar problems . I think you want a fully charged battery as well

Well i disconnected the battery for an hour and went for a spin today - all error codes are gone and shes driving just as smooth and powerful as it should thanks for the quick and easy advice mate

Hq King

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 2 Magnum
Well i disconnected the battery for an hour and went for a spin today - all error codes are gone and shes driving just as smooth and powerful as it should thanks for the quick and easy advice mate
If the faults come back it will mean something more serious but may be more accurate codes but hopefully all will be good . I think any battery issues bring up multiple fault codes . Anyway thats great news it is all sorted And easy as . But I can't take the credit for my super mechanical skills I learnt that trick through Just Commodores site there are some really knowledgeable guys on this site who mostly are more than happy to share there experiences ,fixes, preferences and opinions lots of options

Mayuri Krab

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 2 SSV Redline, Mitsubishi 380 ES
ESP service message on DIC is related to Electronic Stability Program. A Traction warning light is related sequelae. But... How and where do the injectors and fuel system come into this?? People have had this message (a lot of them) and then gone and replaced the injectors, yet the message persists. So yes, 110% see a techie.

When one of my injectors died, the car ran like **** and “service ESP” popped up along with a CEL.

Took it to the stealer who scanned the code and according to the paper work all error code present were all related to cylinder #X misfire (which they then tested the injectors and found one faulty) no error code were stored that related to actual electronic stability control issue.

I read somewhere on here that the “service ESP” message that pop up on the dash is just a generic “yo, your car has a moderate/significant problem” type warning for average joe to bring the car in for check up?

If that was true then this message is like my old N54 BMW with their infamous “engine fault, reduced power” error that pops up every time something moderate/significant is detected, ranging from cylinder misfire, significant boost under/over, target, vanos error...

MaxCommie689

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Calais V
I think some software developer got lazy and linked the ESP error message to a bunch of generic fault codes returned by the engine. At least, this forum teaches us all the standard debugging routine for the VF - disconnect the battery for 20-30 mins. If that doesn’t make an error go away, then it’s something serious and a meeting with the dipsticks at Holden is warranted.