Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Keep and tune or sell and buy tuned?!?!

stuartj

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive VE Clubsport Wagon
Wondering how many ks your car has done? Some of the VE issues that appear after 100k like radiator plastic neck snapping, water pump needing replacing and harmonic balancer getting a wobble might be worth considering in your budget if they are still original. I think having the cooling system in tip top condition, especially in Brisbane, is important if you are going the mod route and pulling more power from the engine.

DazzlerVE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais
Agree totally, I also replaced the water pump, oil pump, radiator and trans cooler and tuned the transmission.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I think lowering the temp on the thermostat to 77 or 75 would help these engines imo. They seem to run very hot on the upper hose.

HSV126

Reaction score
Members Ride
Briggs & Stratton
That would be the profit margin for a dealer, if you traded your current car for a more up-market higher performance model.
you know dealerships make less than 2% on cars right? and thats if the car hasnt been on the lot for over 7 months

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
you know dealerships make less than 2% on cars right? and thats if the car hasnt been on the lot for over 7 months

Things must have changed a lot over the last 10 years.
Used to be common that a late model trade-in on a new car would appear on a used car lot with a $5000 asking price over the trade-in received
Selling a V8 ? ........... "Nobody wants a V8 these days, mate"
Buying a V8 ? ............. "Yeah, that's what the market is, because every-one wants a V8 now, mate."
Not whinging, that is how business operates. Just offering my opinion on how OP can best spend his money to his advantage.

NigelD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Series II 2017
OK so have had my first V8 for 3 months now and love it! I have a 2009 VE SS. It's box standard apart from a set of muffler deletes I put on to enhance the sound of it.

So now I'd like a bit more power and a lumpier sound. I have $5000 - $7500 to play with. Now do I sell my car and put the money on top and seek a 'tuned' car, or do I keep and get a cam package?!...

Will appreciate any views...
OK so have had my first V8 for 3 months now and love it! I have a 2009 VE SS. It's box standard apart from a set of muffler deletes I put on to enhance the sound of it.

So now I'd like a bit more power and a lumpier sound. I have $5000 - $7500 to play with. Now do I sell my car and put the money on top and seek a 'tuned' car, or do I keep and get a cam package?!...

Will appreciate any views...
I did OTR and tune followed by DF extractors and Manta Exhaust with high flow cats all for a little over $5000.
Dyno from SQP in Perth shows 400.4 HP - car runs perfectly, a nice note, 90% city driving getting 14.9 L/100km

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I did OTR and tune followed by DF extractors and Manta Exhaust with high flow cats all for a little over $5000.
Dyno from SQP in Perth shows 400.4 HP - car runs perfectly, a nice note, 90% city driving getting 14.9 L/100km

Gee that's a happy dyno my mates with very similar was 270kw whereas yours read 300kw and some people get 250kw. Yea I know it's the difference in the dyno and wheels ect but gee thats a lot of spread.

P

Pauldw500

Yeah have decided to keep the car. For now I want to upgrade the exhaust. I can get the Magnaflow catback setup posted on last page for $600, but have just had a wreckers get back to me and they have a full engine back Wilkinshaw exhaust and they want $1400 for it...

Hmmmm.....

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Yeah have decided to keep the car. For now I want to upgrade the exhaust. I can get the Magnaflow catback setup posted on last page for $600, but have just had a wreckers get back to me and they have a full engine back Wilkinshaw exhaust and they want $1400 for it...

Hmmmm.....

Does the walkinshaw system have extractors?

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore

Hmmmm.....

If they are not damaged that is a good price

Are the headers coated or painted black