Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Knocking Noise... Sv6 Top back right Piston area (Facing Car)

tha_sv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Sv6 Ute
Hello fellow Ve owners!

To put it simply I have identified a knocking noise in my engine bay just before an oil and oil filter change. After servicing and driving she ran really smooth, the noise was gone, however after the 3rd drive the noise crept back and now I don't want to drive it without fixing this noise because its a pretty noticeable knocking noise.

the noise began at around 2500rpm and stayed noticeable on acceleration. ( faster I went the faster the knock)

i've taken it to a trusted mechanic of mine and i asked him to take a look at it as soon as i heard the knock. Picking up the car and asking him what he found he told me that i needed a new timing chain and my engine mounts can be replaced. So I asked him what the noise was and he told me it was the engine mounts... taking his word for it i continued driving my car.

5-7 drives later i park my car and the knock can now be heard from idle and i was alarmed.
popping the bonnet and listening to the noise i was sure that it was not my timing chain or engine mounts.

timing chains are at the front of the engine and make more of a ticking noise, and engine mounts are located beneath the engine and id hear it bellow.. but i didn't hear any noise from bellow or from the front.

Looking at the car, the noise is coming from the top back right piston area. And because i'm not a serious mechanic i can only assume what it could be:

Components around the top of the piston is what it most likely is... either rockers, lifters or just something else in that area..

Seeking some knowledge and understanding of owners who might know or have been in similar shoes as this is the only noise from making my car mechanically sound..

2009 series 1 Ve Ute ~ 140 000ks
new clutch
new ECM
new Oil pressure sensor
serviced occasionally
overheated before (no coolant) - fixed
Driven occasionally, not a daily driver

Thanks Heaps :)

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Cam covers should come off is the first thing I would do to take a look.
If looks normal then I guess engine out and strip.
That will tell you what’s wrong and what needs replacing I guess.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Well, have fun with that.

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
Hello fellow Ve owners!

To put it simply I have identified a knocking noise in my engine bay just before an oil and oil filter change. After servicing and driving she ran really smooth, the noise was gone, however after the 3rd drive the noise crept back and now I don't want to drive it without fixing this noise because its a pretty noticeable knocking noise.

the noise began at around 2500rpm and stayed noticeable on acceleration. ( faster I went the faster the knock)

i've taken it to a trusted mechanic of mine and i asked him to take a look at it as soon as i heard the knock. Picking up the car and asking him what he found he told me that i needed a new timing chain and my engine mounts can be replaced. So I asked him what the noise was and he told me it was the engine mounts... taking his word for it i continued driving my car.

5-7 drives later i park my car and the knock can now be heard from idle and i was alarmed.
popping the bonnet and listening to the noise i was sure that it was not my timing chain or engine mounts.

timing chains are at the front of the engine and make more of a ticking noise, and engine mounts are located beneath the engine and id hear it bellow.. but i didn't hear any noise from bellow or from the front.

Looking at the car, the noise is coming from the top back right piston area. And because i'm not a serious mechanic i can only assume what it could be:

Components around the top of the piston is what it most likely is... either rockers, lifters or just something else in that area..

Seeking some knowledge and understanding of owners who might know or have been in similar shoes as this is the only noise from making my car mechanically sound..

2009 series 1 Ve Ute ~ 140 000ks
new clutch
new ECM
new Oil pressure sensor
serviced occasionally
overheated before (no coolant) - fixed
Driven occasionally, not a daily driver

Thanks Heaps :)
Is there any lights on the dash?
When you say serviced occasionally, how many km between services?
Could you please make a YouTube video with the knocking noise as it may give us a better idea on what's going on with your car...

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
Why would you strip the entire engine if it could be a variety of things? It's always best to start with the basics first...

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
Yip his replies are very rarely ever helpful
Yep, and it would be pretty annoying for the O.P and others to get an inaccurate replies almost all the time... I will admit though, I'm far from perfect and have made my fair share of replies which may not have been helpful for the O.P...

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
The thing that caught my attention was, the knocking noise was there then disappeared after an oil and filter change...It then re appeared....

Maybe it has some crud stuck in a lifter or two? That's where I'd be looking...

Maybe even do an engine flush to clean all the crud out and see what happens from there