Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

L67 + LSD Towing Caravan around Australia

tsommerville

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Calais S/Charged 6
Hey Guys,

I'm planning a trip around the coast of Australia with a slight detour into Uluru and my mate just bought me an LSD for my VX II Calais that I'm gonna be driving for the trip. I was wondering if I should put the diff onto the commodore now or just use the current standard diff that is in there. Not sure on the reliability/durability of the LSD's esp when towing and I'm not too keen on having the diff explode when I'm a hundred km's from nowhere.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Install LSD, take single pegged and tools as back up ;)

Decicrate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67
I would be more concerned about the amount of fuel it is going to drink!!!

tsommerville

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Calais S/Charged 6
I would be more concerned about the amount of fuel it is going to drink!!!

Hahaha yeah we've already done the maths. At $2.30 a litre using 10 l/100km it's gonna be around $4500 in fuel (or something like that).

Install LSD, take single pegged and tools as back up ;)

Yeah not too keen on dragging a trolley jack + stands + Diff Oil + toolbox and tryna change the bastard on a 40+ Degree day and praying it hasn't damaged anything else when it goes...

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
Jut go get it checked out by a diff shop. I'd throw that thing on injected gas before you go it'll cut you fuel cost in half, so you have $2500 plus the $1250 rebate from the government you'd only have to put another grand on top and you'd start saving cash a couple of months after you get back.

PJDM1980

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
You should be carrying a jack, stands, tools and extra oil anyway.....

Sent from here, so you can read it there via iPhone.

DLFHUB666

GIT 'EERRR DONE!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, PX Ford Ranger XLS Dual cab
Yeah not too keen on dragging a trolley jack + stands + Diff Oil + toolbox and tryna change the bastard on a 40+ Degree day and praying it hasn't damaged anything else when it goes...

So you would rather be stuck on the side of the road on a 40+ degree day with no tools. sounds smart to me. o_O

tsommerville

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Calais S/Charged 6
So you would rather be stuck on the side of the road on a 40+ degree day with no tools. sounds smart to me. o_O

I would rather it didnt blow in the first place to be honest... but I guess at least I'd have air-con if that happened :p

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6

dont need diff oil, just drop the centre as a whole. When I do long trips (500kms) I take oil, water, idle pulleys, spare belt, all my tools. Would load up the car with more going round aus. Even spare radiator hoses.. Especially if U have ur family onboard.

tsommerville

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Calais S/Charged 6
Jut go get it checked out by a diff shop. I'd throw that thing on injected gas before you go it'll cut you fuel cost in half, so you have $2500 plus the $1250 rebate from the government you'd only have to put another grand on top and you'd start saving cash a couple of months after you get back.

PJDM1980

Didnt think the l67's could be converted anyway :/ not that the cost is really a massive problem, I've already got it saved and I'm just waiting for my contract to finish so I can get on the road! :)