Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Last holden I will ever buy.

maxpower QLD

has mild super powers
Reaction score
Members Ride
Xtrail/5spd VL
I have a VZ 190Kw and it goes well. Especially when it hits around 75-80kph it really starts to pull. Sounds good too at full roar. I wouldn't have bought the car if I thought it was slow or unresponsive.

same hear man , I have a SV6 it gets along pretty well . I've only had mine for a short time but i recon its been a really good car (for what it is ) except for when the brakes locked up om me due to the incompitent bunch of retards who call them self's mechanics at my local holden dealership (Bodgy cnts :realangry :shooting: ).

coffee_mogul

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore SVZ Ute
Sure I chose the car, not denying it. Did I learn my lesson, YES.
Im just questioning Holden's wisdom in having two engine specs that in the real world (driving) appear no different in ACTUAL performance.

Reaper,
surely you have been disappointed with a purchase that fell below expectation, promised or otherwise.
At the time of purchase i considered the run the VT to VZ and all the incarnations in between has had, and was reasonably confident all the issues were ironed out. I wasnt 100% sure, you never are. there were many Positive remarks in this forum regarding other peoples experiences with the VZ also.
I did my homework, test drove the car as much as possible given the national shortage of vehicles at the time. I am responsible for my predicament, yet still allowed to be disappointed. I was hoping the engine would free up with use.
The noisy diff is another issue though, 3 months to source (manufacture) a part is beyond a joke.

Danoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 06 Exec
Mate i dodnt think its a holden problem. I think you need to get whatever it is wrong with your car fixed. Everyone else here is happy with their 170 and 190kw VZs.

hingo1983

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
Yeah I agree, I think there is definately something wrong with your car. The V6 is a great engine and pulls along quite well. Maybe if you know someone with a similar car, you should go and compare them. Even go to a used car dealer and test drive one. Then if you think yours is still slower, then take it to Holden under warranty. Sorry to hear you are having problems with your V6.

coffee_mogul

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore SVZ Ute
Mate i dodnt think its a holden problem. I think you need to get whatever it is wrong with your car fixed. Everyone else here is happy with their 170 and 190kw VZs.
Its more an issue of the 170kw I used to drive VS the 190kw I now drive = no difference. It would be less of an issue if the KW figure wasnt touted by Holden as a point of difference / spec upgrade between the models. I find it hard to believe Holden would introduce a higher spec engine that is only relevant on paper. If I could prove there was an issue, I am sure my excellent dealer would fix it no question. I think I may offer their head mechanic the use of the car for a few days, to get a long term opinion and see the notable difference between cold start responsiveness and running temp responsiveness.

Yeah I agree, I think there is definately something wrong with your car. The V6 is a great engine and pulls along quite well. Maybe if you know someone with a similar car, you should go and compare them. Even go to a used car dealer and test drive one. Then if you think yours is still slower, then take it to Holden under warranty. Sorry to hear you are having problems with your V6.

Great Idea !
Any one in Sydney with a 190kw 6 speed VZ that can spare some time for a comparison ? Or even drive my car and offer an opinion.

Last edited:

coffee_mogul

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore SVZ Ute
No but my cousins mates gemini does 10s

I just expected it to feel different / more responsive to the VZ exec I had previously, as I paid a premium for the 190kw.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
If you want performance buy an 8 and stop whining.

hingo1983

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
He isn't whining or asking for 10 second 1/4's, he is simply stating that he thought there should be a difference between the 175 and 190. Give the guy a break. Its a reasonable request, otherwise why would they even have that option? I can't tell you the difference between the 175 and the 190 in performance because I have only driven the 190. My Dad owns a VY though and you can notice the difference, but then again that is the ecotec putting out 150kw compared to the Alloytec putting out 190kw. If it is still under warranty, I would take it to Holden. Its not going to cost you a dime and they drive these things all tehe time and should have diagnostic tools to see if there is anything wrong with it.

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
No but my cousins mates gemini does 10s

I just expected it to feel different / more responsive to the VZ exec I had previously, as I paid a premium for the 190kw.
As someone else posted, you can hardly expect miracals out of 15Kw, especially when it is rated at the flywheel. Bolt on an exhaust, do some intake work and get it tuned... you won't get a massive gain, but it will feel alot different to your 175.

I agree though, the Alloytec is a major let down, but it IS a V6 with typical 'family car 6 cylinder performance'.