Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Last holden I will ever buy.

ragrim

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6
forgive me if im wrong here cause i skipped a few posts and im not holden guru.

someone mentioned a 4spd auto and the 190kw engine, as far as i know the alloytec only comes with the 5spd auto or 6pd manual. meaning if you got a 4spd auto your not driving a 190kw.

not only that but i read that its an svz, from what ive read the svz is an executive with $6000 of extras. (im talking sedans here not utes or wagons)

and finally, i thought the 190kw was only available in calais and SV6.

btw most of my info comes from this page which has served me pretty well as it has been pretty accurate in the past but could well be wrong here.

Holden VZ Commodore / Calais

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
He isn't whining or asking for 10 second 1/4's, he is simply stating that he thought there should be a difference between the 175 and 190. Give the guy a break. Its a reasonable request, otherwise why would they even have that option? I can't tell you the difference between the 175 and the 190 in performance because I have only driven the 190. My Dad owns a VY though and you can notice the difference, but then again that is the ecotec putting out 150kw compared to the Alloytec putting out 190kw. If it is still under warranty, I would take it to Holden. Its not going to cost you a dime and they drive these things all tehe time and should have diagnostic tools to see if there is anything wrong with it.

Why should there be a difference? It is 15kw at the fly difference. A measly 3-4 rwkw. How the hell would you notice the difference? The torque difference is 12nm, again, not a massive difference at all. It is like saying you can tell the difference between a VX Senator and a VY Senator in power.

In all seriousness, if it is starting to lag when warm, try a different oil.

hingo1983

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
Fair enough minux. I'm simply asking why would Holden make a High Output V6 in the first place? Was it just a ploy to increase sales in the higher spec models?

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Fair enough minux. I'm simply asking why would Holden make a High Output V6 in the first place? Was it just a ploy to increase sales in the higher spec models?

The high output V6 is really just a small gain to negate the extra weight of the higher spec models (Calais, SV6, Statesman).

Its a N/A V6. Its not a performance car. Anyone that thinks it is, or believed it was, is just kidding themselves.

Holden don't want the Omega/Exec being the quickest model in the range. Thats why you can no longer get an Omega/Exec optioned with a V8 either.

In all variants of VZ I noticed that they need alot of revs to really get going but at the same time they do not want to rev. Not a good combination. The alloytec in the VE is much more willing but the power still comes far too high in the rev range.

andrewmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 VE SS
In all variants of VZ I noticed that they need alot of revs to really get going but at the same time they do not want to rev. Not a good combination. The alloytec in the VE is much more willing but the power still comes far too high in the rev range.

I would have to disagree with that.
I find them to be a very revy motor and unlike the ecotec's they seem to want to keep revving past the redline.
The old eco's would rev but you could feel no real power after a certain point.
The alloytec from 3 grand wants to just keep going and even at the rev limiter seems to have a bit more in it.

SammyD

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SSV Sedan
To be honest, I've never driven a high volume production car with VVT and Variable Induction (on the 190) that wasn't as dead as a dodo until it hits 3krpm.

I have more gripes about the 4 speed auto in my Berlina than I do about the motor. If I had the choice of a V8 or the V6 I would have chosen the 8 though.

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
this might sound stupid but have you actually checked over the car????

whats the condition of the air filter/ fuel filter?? possibly dirty injectors, over due for service, low pressure in the tyres??

there is a million and 1 things it could be, thats if there is even a problem.

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
the other thing is when comparing the engines in the real world 15 kw at the flywheel isnt acctually alot, you can lose that sort of power as the engine gets on in age and your head gasket starts to leak, or the injectors / spark plugs begin to foul, the engine carbons up this that or the other.

Perhaps it is the car itself, that is possible. I have seen cars where a similar car off the same production line can be a total bag of rubbish, trim falls off, mechanical bits fail, ECUs fail, yet a car thats only 500 units earlier or later can have no issues, just service and let it go :whistling