Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Leaking Radiator

zappaboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 Sportswagon, Motorsport Auto VE Ute
Agreed, rats and mice have also attacked some wiring in the Series 1 wagon and the MSE has had its wiper reservoir cap attacked and some of the engine bay insulation attacked. Not happy Jan !!

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Does insurance cover 'rat damage'?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition

Z31na

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF Commodore Evoke
As the rats have eaten many of the piping and containers that held fluids in my car, the car has overheated on several occasions where twice it went to full hot and the dashboard indicated engine overheated, let engine idle or something similar. I thought I had cooked the engine as it happened so quickly as a I saw the temp gauge rise while I found somewhere to pull over.
Bandaid solution. Rislone has a product called Hypercool. You can either mix it with your standard coolant or mix it with just water. According to the bottle it works better with just water. It is just an anti-boil though. Its not an anti-freeze. Don’t use it where theres a chance the water can freeze.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Interesting...On one hand it is suggested a new radiator is required by a mechanic and on the other hand it shouldn't need replacing due to the low kays...BUT, some furry grey things have been having a feed underneath the bonnet on plastic stuff and the radiator has plastic stuff within it...

Got to wonder...

Honestly, get a new radiator...Using bandaids only last for so long.....And whilst you are at it, put some traps around to help stop those furry friends having a fiest on the electrics and plastics in the car

zappaboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 Sportswagon, Motorsport Auto VE Ute
A new radiator is being installed, for me just wondering if the failure was prematurely caused by vermin attack and if so I will contact my insurance company who is shannons. The recent torque converter failure I wonder if it was related to the lack of coolant and eventual severe overheating. Cars are installed with temp guage for the engine, why is a guage or light not installed for the transmission. Is it just to just save 50c. I have put traps which have captured several furry beaties and there has been several dried up dead beasties around the garage meaning the baits have been successful.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
For vermin to have caused an engine overheating issue, either they would have to have had to chew through a hose or radiator tank which caused loss of pressure in the system (and coolant on your garage floor) or they would have had to chew through wiring that resulted in loss or partial loss of radiator fans.

Even if vermin only chew through a coolant overflow bottle, such could result in a slower loss of coolant as the hot coolant cycles into the overflow tanks and then pours out through those chewed out holes and thus unable to get back into the system when it cools. Such may be more subtle and slower in its damaging action..

But insurance companies are funny beasts when making a claim. Often the company may want to inspect the car and if it’s been repaired they may take a dim view of it… So unless its still in an unrepaired state or you’ve got the chewed out parts and/or an receipt with clear cause of damage identified, you may have an issue… maybe… You really need to first do a good examination of the vehicle…

Once you’ve done that, then read your policy before calling your insurance company to discuss the matter. Policy wording may help guide you in how to phrase things to best support your claim ;)

As to converter damage, well that’s usually because of a bearing, seal, clutch or structural failure of the TC itself that is the root cause. I can’t see how engine overheating can cause a TC failure (but that could be lack of imagination) and vermin can’t get to that bit of hardware… I’d think that if the tans fluid got too hot, there would be a warning message that pops up in the DIC to notify you of the problem… and I’d also think/guess it’s more likely you’d have issues with clutch bands internally to the trans rather than TC… And there is also a known weakness with early? VF? TC’s where the metal cracks as has been mentioned in another thread…

Last edited:

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
As to converter damage, well that’s usually because of a bearing, seal, clutch or structural failure of the TC itself that is the root cause. I can’t see how engine overheating can cause a TC failure (but that could be lack of imagination) and vermin can’t get to that bit of hardware… I’d think that if the tans fluid got too hot, there would be a warning message that pops up in the DIC to notify you of the problem… and I’d also think/guess it’s more likely you’d have issues with clutch bands internally to the trans rather than TC… And there is also a known weakness with early? VF? TC’s where the metal cracks as has been mentioned in another thread…
I think he means if vermin caused damage to radiator to cause engine overheating, then transmission fluid cooling would be affected too.

One way to check is take a sample of fluid and see if it is brown/burnt.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
I think he means if vermin caused damage to radiator to cause engine overheating, then transmission fluid cooling would be affected too.

One way to check is take a sample of fluid and see if it is brown/burnt.
Yes I understand that.

Thing is, it’s the transmission‘s bands and their designed slip during the gear change is the mechanism that generates huge localised fluid temps which are much much higher than the boiling point of coolant. This is the mechanism that kills trans fluid and makes it brown, then black, then rebuild time if ignored…

Temp difference between normal coolant temp and boiling coolant temp is what, around 95C verses 130C? Compare that to trans fluid spot temps around the bands themselves which are measured in the 100’s of C (there was a SAE great paper I read about this but haven’t been able to locate it again) and I’d guess engine overheating will kill an engine but not take the trans with it…

As such I doubt any vermin caused engine overheating would cause overall trans fluid temps to rise so quickly and so high as to kill a TC, or auto box for that matter.

Whatever the case, brown fluid isn’t good and should be addressed. But do we know anything about the trans fluid condition in this case?