Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lifter addititive good idea?

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
Thanks, is that yours or an example? I am surprised there are no comments on the report.

A new engine that has done less than 20,000 km is not the same as a 20 or 30 year engine that has done 100's of thousands of kms. Oil is cheap. Engines are expensive. Operating conditions vary. It could be a good idea to change the oil if there was an engine overheat or working under other severe conditions. Every situation is different.

Nanoxcel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Thanks, is that yours or an example? I am surprised there are no comments on the report.

A new engine that has done less than 20,000 km is not the same as a 20 or 30 year engine that has done 100's of thousands of kms. Oil is cheap. Engines are expensive. Operating conditions vary. It could be a good idea to change the oil if there was an engine overheat or working under other severe conditions. Every situation is different.

Exactly, every engine and situation is different that's why you cant just do 1 test and read the results it takes a couple of tests, hence why i did 3, they do add a comment but its a general comment that' s written on the basis of a baseline, i didnt and they dont have a baseline for the oil (they do now and could adjust the parameters but i had done enough testing). So you should have noticed that the silicon was above the the level they had set, this was high because the type of oil has that in it, the key was that its not rising. TAN TBN and Soot are the main one's i watch but all of them are important.

Oil is cheap but why throw something out that is still in great condition is my point (I hate waste). Seems like everyone on here is guessing that you need to change the oil at 7500km instead of 10,000, Oil development has come a long way even comparing to 12yrs ago when these cars hit the street.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I see your point about throwing away good oil but how much is your oil test Vs the cost of new oil?

Oil itself doesn't wear out, it just gets contaminated and it's the contamination in the oil that will do the damage, changing it sooner than recommended just reduces the likely hood of damage from contamination. It also depends on the type of driving you do.

Nanoxcel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
I see your point about throwing away good oil but how much is your oil test Vs the cost of new oil?

Oil itself doesn't wear out, it just gets contaminated and it's the contamination in the oil that will do the damage, changing it sooner than recommended just reduces the likely hood of damage from contamination. It also depends on the type of driving you do.

Exactly, my oil had no rise on any contaminants/acids or dust. Every test cost me $25 so i spent $100 on testing after my 1st oil change, I was then satisfied that my eng/driving was good for 15,000km so instead of spending $150+ every 7500km doing an oil changes it payed for itself immediately. I just sold my ranger and now bought a V6 Amarok, im not even going to bother testing i trust the engineers that 15,000km is good. Im still not sure yet with the SS on 7500 or 10,000. Im thinking ill do a test after my next oil change then another at 7500 and see what it looks like.

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
Oil itself doesn't wear out, it just gets contaminated and it's the contamination in the oil that will do the damage,

This is an excellent point.

Oil companies refine crude oil, so how easy is it for them to refine used oil?

How does an oil perform in an old engine with a very dirty crankcase? How often and how many oil changes does it take to clean up a dirty crankcase? That is the question ... lifter tick is a symptom of a problem ...

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Oil is and can be recycled. I used to have old oil collected at work and as long as I had enough they would take it away for free. The same company would go to service stations when people put the wrong stuff in the tank to suck it out. Talking to their driver all their fuel and lubricants came from the recycling.

Lifters have the smallest orifice in the entire engine so oil contamination can definitely cause a lifter noise but it could also be mechanical. Nylon Lifter Free is a good way to test the oil contamination theory. Diesel oils contain more detergents than petrol engine oil and can be used to try and clean out a dirty engine combined with much more regular oil changes.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Lifters have the smallest orifice in the entire engine so oil contamination can definitely cause a lifter noise but it could also be mechanical. Nylon Lifter Free is a good way to test the oil contamination theory.

Yeah used lifter free up in mine last week and tick remains. Probably was a bit ambitious thinking a 200k old V6 would fix a noisy lifter with an additive but it was worth a try. My tick goes away after a minute or two.

I heard from a mech mate that the old Kmart and Black & Gold supermarket oil is just recycled engine oil. The certainly recycle it into something over here as you can dump bucket loads for free at over four places in Launceston.

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
Whatever "recycled" involves would be interesting ... if it is basically filtered and repackaged for resale then it could be quite a profit margin ...

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
Diesel oils contain more detergents than petrol engine oil and can be used to try and clean out a dirty engine combined with much more regular oil changes.

On an old and dirty crankcase that would be the 500 - 1,000 km oil change ...