Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Limiter issue

DrownInMilo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr statesman
Hey guys, have my vr stato that’s got a vt 5l a good old Limi bash the other day and discovered the limiter doesn’t appear to be there the thing just revved, anyone know if that’s cos I’m running a vr ecu? And if so is it possible to tune in a limiter

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Yes the limiter can be adjusted with tuning.
How far out did it rev for you? As those banana manifolds in stock form will naturally limit rpm potential.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
EOM rev limiter is a fuel cut, I think they are set at 5600rpm on the VN-VS motors?

If it went past that someone's probably played with the tune....and probably abused the crap out of it too.

Factory tune will also force an upshift from 1st to 2nd regardless where you have the shifter set. People alter these types of settings to do burnouts.

DrownInMilo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr statesman
EOM rev limiter is a fuel cut, I think they are set at 5600rpm on the VN-VS motors?

If it went past that someone's probably played with the tune....and probably abused the crap out of it too.

Factory tune will also force an upshift from 1st to 2nd regardless where you have the shifter set. People alter these types of settings to do burnouts.
The ecu is stock vr statesman auto ( I’ve put a getrag manual in it tho) the motor is out of a vt ss race car but I’ve swapped the vr throttle body and intake manifold on so it will work, I revved it to 6k 3 times in short bursts. When it had the vr motor still in it it had the limiter but doesn’t appear to with the vt one but I would’ve thought the limiter is governed by the ecu and putting an engine that may have been being used without one wouldn’t make a difference

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Did you change the memcal to suit the manual transmission?

DrownInMilo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr statesman
Nope but when it had the vr motor and the getrag it had no issues at all

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Was it originally a auto, earlier you said you fitted the Getrag?

A VR auto that is converted to manual is going to throw a engine check light when it can't see the auto and set a whole heap of fault codes unless the tune is altered to suit.

Either way, something isn't adding up.

Take the cover off the PCM and have a look at the memcal in it and tell us what the code is on the little silver sticker, if it still has the silver sticker.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
How does speedo work?

v8 getrag have external vss & slip yoke has geared tooth on it... signal different to auto & it goes through ecu.

Only know as did vs s3 304/getrag in torrie with 3.9 gears...it easily smacked 5400 or whatever it was rev limiter when doing silly ****.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
prob just thinks its in neutral all the time using the idle tables