Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LLT to VF LFX engine swap requirements?

LachieKb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Ute
And to swap it to a LFX will possible cost in the excess of $1,500 for the Programming and labor, + an oh shite factor into the price.

I would get a Quote first, you will be surprised, and make sure your sitting down !
Well I went ahead with the swap, and it was a success! And surprisingly a lot easier than everyone here was making out.

I purchased an LFX out of a 2016 SV6 and the cats off the same car, and that was all I bought. My brother luckily found a forum post from someone in the US who did the same swap in a V6 Camaro, and all he did was swap his LLT electronics and fuel system onto the new LFX, and it ran fine with no reprogramming. So that’s what I ended up doing.

Basically, we removed the LLT and pulled the wiring harness off it, along with all the other parts that weren’t included with the engine I bought (alternator, AC compressor, power steering pump). You’ll notice that the mounts for the AC compressor are different, and the LFX doesn’t have a power steering pump, so make sure to swap those mounts over as well. The LLT wiring harness mostly plugged straight in to the LFX, except the water temp sensor is further toward the back of the engine (but needs no adapting or anything), there is an extra sensor on top of the intake manifold on the LFX that we left unplugged, and the oil level sensor in the base of the sump is different, so you will need to swap the sump to accommodate. The engine mounts will then also have to be swapped as the LFX ones bolt into the sump. Once you do all of that the electronics should be identical to the original LLT and will give you no issues.

You also have to swap the fuel pump and fuel injectors as the LFX is E85 compatible, but the LLT isn’t. We tried running the ute without swapping the injectors initially, but they’re bigger and made the car run super rich and threw engine codes. So make sure you swap the whole injector assembly. The hardest part of this is removing the injectors from the LLT. They aren’t designed to be removed with the heads on, so you can either remove the heads, or do like I did and shave a mm or two off the back of the thermostat housing with a die grinder to give the first rail clearance to come out. The injectors will come off the LFX with a bit of wriggling. Once out, give the LLT injectors a good clean and a tiny bit of grease on the seals at the top to make them pop into the rail easily. Install the injectors and wiring first, then the rails should pop on easily.

Once all this is done and everything is hooked back up the car should start like normal without needing any reprogramming or anything. The car will not be able to tell a difference because all the electronics and fuel system are the same. You may not get the absolute maximum performance of the LFX doing it this way, but driving it I couldn’t tell a difference and still got good fuel economy.

My brother and I smashed the whole swap out in roughly 3 afternoons using a hoist, transmission jack and a forklift to pull the engine out. But it’s definitely possible and well worth it if your LLT is shagged. You’ll pick up a much better engine for the money getting an LFX.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Well I went ahead with the swap, and it was a success! And surprisingly a lot easier than everyone here was making out.

I purchased an LFX out of a 2016 SV6 and the cats off the same car, and that was all I bought. My brother luckily found a forum post from someone in the US who did the same swap in a V6 Camaro, and all he did was swap his LLT electronics and fuel system onto the new LFX, and it ran fine with no reprogramming. So that’s what I ended up doing.

Basically, we removed the LLT and pulled the wiring harness off it, along with all the other parts that weren’t included with the engine I bought (alternator, AC compressor, power steering pump). You’ll notice that the mounts for the AC compressor are different, and the LFX doesn’t have a power steering pump, so make sure to swap those mounts over as well. The LLT wiring harness mostly plugged straight in to the LFX, except the water temp sensor is further toward the back of the engine (but needs no adapting or anything), there is an extra sensor on top of the intake manifold on the LFX that we left unplugged, and the oil level sensor in the base of the sump is different, so you will need to swap the sump to accommodate. The engine mounts will then also have to be swapped as the LFX ones bolt into the sump. Once you do all of that the electronics should be identical to the original LLT and will give you no issues.

You also have to swap the fuel pump and fuel injectors as the LFX is E85 compatible, but the LLT isn’t. We tried running the ute without swapping the injectors initially, but they’re bigger and made the car run super rich and threw engine codes. So make sure you swap the whole injector assembly. The hardest part of this is removing the injectors from the LLT. They aren’t designed to be removed with the heads on, so you can either remove the heads, or do like I did and shave a mm or two off the back of the thermostat housing with a die grinder to give the first rail clearance to come out. The injectors will come off the LFX with a bit of wriggling. Once out, give the LLT injectors a good clean and a tiny bit of grease on the seals at the top to make them pop into the rail easily. Install the injectors and wiring first, then the rails should pop on easily.

Once all this is done and everything is hooked back up the car should start like normal without needing any reprogramming or anything. The car will not be able to tell a difference because all the electronics and fuel system are the same. You may not get the absolute maximum performance of the LFX doing it this way, but driving it I couldn’t tell a difference and still got good fuel economy.

My brother and I smashed the whole swap out in roughly 3 afternoons using a hoist, transmission jack and a forklift to pull the engine out. But it’s definitely possible and well worth it if your LLT is shagged. You’ll pick up a much better engine for the money getting an LFX.

All Up $ factor was ?

Reactions: Lex

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
"someone in the US who did the same swap in a V6 Camaro, and all he did was swap his LLT electronics and fuel system onto the new LFX, and it ran fine with no reprogramming. So that’s what I ended up doing"

I read there was a lot more work involved than a standard swap,
Ok, did you try the LFX ECU etc etc first and it didnt work ?

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
I'm a little late to the party but why did your LTT run out of oil? If it came down to a lack of maintenance, make sure you service the LFX that's now in the car...

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
LFX's seem to fail prematurely also,
Lack of oil also.

Last edited:

LachieKb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Ute
"someone in the US who did the same swap in a V6 Camaro, and all he did was swap his LLT electronics and fuel system onto the new LFX, and it ran fine with no reprogramming. So that’s what I ended up doing"

I read there was a lot more work involved than a standard swap,
Ok, did you try the LFX ECU etc etc first and it didnt work ?
No, didn’t go through the trouble of buying a separate ECU and loom, but that option may still work if you really want all the benefits of the LFX (mainly fuel flex capability).

LachieKb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Ute
I'm a little late to the party but why did your LTT run out of oil? If it came down to a lack of maintenance, make sure you service the LFX that's now in the car...
Unfortunately it was a simple matter of the air filter not sealing properly. I just used a cheap paper filter for a service and only found out later it wasn’t sitting properly. I was doing a lot of driving on country dirt roads at the time and it had ingested a lot of dust which scored two cylinders and led to reduced compression and very high oil usage . I should’ve been checking more often than I did, but it ran out quite quickly. I’ve never missed a service, but from now on I’ll be doing shorter service intervals and checking over everything more often. Also be using a proper oiled K&N air filter from now on.

LachieKb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Ute
Paper filters better than K&N
My experience would suggest otherwise but what makes you say that? The fact the K&N has a good rubber seal around the outside is the most important thing to me.