Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Looking at getting into a DSLR but I'm totally clueless.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Secondly Minux "The DSLR is coming to an end fast, no point getting on the band wagon." Where is the evidence of this, considering more and more top Pros are making the switch to DSLR's and technology is advancing in leaps and bounds over film. And don't you think that the high end camera manufactures would be at the forefront of the market.

Please do tell what leaps and bounds advances digital is making over film? I could go on, but why bother.

The DSLR is by far the most advanced camera on the market, yes compacts are good for what they are intended (point and shoot, family gatherings and outings, kids playing etc) but when it comes to portraits and weddings there is absolutely no compramise for a good high end DSLR. Especially with the interchangable lenses as the quality of glass matters, and no matter what people say "digital zoom" on compacts is rubbish compared to qulity zoom lenses.

Err, a medium format film camera is the compromise. I just pray that with these thought processes you are not shooting peoples wedding especially if you are using quality

I don't want to upset anyone here but I feel quite strongly about this subject as I run a photography business, and I care about my quality and my clients.

Err, a business? I suggest you get yourself a domain and stop using a @yahoo.com email address. What person runs any business with an unbrabded email? Clients know to run when they see this (except those who dont really care what they get on a wedding day). The wix site though...really? Come on dude, a real website would be the best option.

I could go on and on about this, but again, there is no point. It has all been done to the death on the apf.

I too care about photography, however, I do not care so much as to create a post on facebook telling people digital is in full flight when still digital cannot get anywhere near the result of film.

My advice to you troy711 is to do your research, look around at whats on offer and decide what you really want to take photos of and how far you want to take it. There are a whole lot of options out there and not one camera suits everyone, the best choice may be a compact ( and I don't hate them, there just not right for me).

Troy, my advice still stands, the xp1 I linked you too is a brilliant piece of kit and will sit in the mag of many a professional for scouting etc etc. ;)

However the biggest thing is to learn HOW to take photos. Composition, exposure and depth of field are just a few of the things to learn on your quest to take better photos.

Yes, you are right, based on your portfolio I would sit back, grab a few books and get reading. I would also grab a few books on posing and lighting. I am not having a go, I am serious and trying to help.

PS:
If a photographer has qualifications then they would more than likely be advertised on their pages,
Generally qualified photograpers are accreddited AIPP members ;)

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
I have a dslr nikon and I'm a novice and find it a very good camera for what I want. I basically use it for everyday use, pics of cars and my kids and stuff. It came with a 55 mm lense and a 200 mm lense.
Everyone will have a different opinion as I found out when I posted the very same thread when I was looking. In the end I bought what felt best in my hands and I'm happy with my purchase.

Verynice

Band
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Caprice 5L

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
Hope I have helped you in some way tony711!!

Good attention to detail. A professional photographer must have this quality.

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Please do tell what leaps and bounds advances digital is making over film? I could go on, but why bother.

Can film cameras change an ISO setting at the flick of a switch? Can a film camera be turned into a camera capable of taking 1-3-5 or more photos per second with the flick of a switch? Can you view your results on film then and there, to improve on a shot? The answer is no!

I could also go on but why bother.

Digital photo quality is as good, if not better than film these days.

Troy get your self a canon 400D or something a bit newer for cheap and enjoy, they have guides to help understand how to make the camera do what you want it to do :)

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
Ok a few things to say here
in the hands of someone who doesn't know what there doing its as good as a paperweight.

Well.. I'm not sure if you used a paper-weight or a potato, Your photos are... Well damn

I'd suggest you start using instagram on the iPhone, You might get nicer photos...

*PIXELATED FACES DUE TO PRIVACY*

I run a photography business, and I care about my quality and my clients.

Can film cameras change an ISO setting at the flick of a switch? Can a film camera be turned into a camera capable of taking 1-3-5 or more photos per second with the flick of a switch? Can you view your results on film then and there, to improve on a shot? The answer is no!

I could also go on but why bother.

Most of the worlds best photographers still use film... Digital is an ease of use type thing.

Last edited:

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline

Nope they can't do that, but that is hardly "leaps and bounds" advances. I use medium format film for one reason, print quality and size, I have no need to change from ISO 100 film as the shots are during the day. Sadly I cannot afford to go spend 100k on a MF digital format nor do I have the need to.

As for chimpers...errr why do you need to review shots? Even with digital I use a light meter (in camera are rubbish and I prefer to not be reviewing every photo), if you are having to check results then you should study up on composition and what not, I aim to not review, I have watched guys who are chimping non stop and to me it shows they really do not have an idea on settings. I think many "photographers" who never use film miss understanding and nailing the basics of exposure, shutter speed and aperture and it shows so often.

Digital photo quality is as good, if not better than film these days.

Not denying it isn't as good, but the fact is, film for what it is still gives me the brilliant results I need that a dslr cannot. With the new mirrorless systems advancing quickly dslr's will fade away as per my original post.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline

Stressball

Rolling on 4 again :D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Triton
For the record, to give you an idea of the future...

CNET TV | Video Product Reviews, CNET Podcasts, Tech Shows, Live CNET Video - CNET TV

Combine this with new technologies emerging and photography will be nothing like it has been in the past.

Anyway, back on topic.

I can see the use in that, but I doubt it will ever have the quality of a properly focused, properly exposed, good quality sensor and lens, used how they should be. Changing focus post-shot surely can't be as sharp or defined as a normal lens-sensor, because to begin with, it's taking light information from blurred points wherever it is not in focus, and then expanding on that information to change the focus afterward. Bokeh is caused by the light bleeding from out of focus points, how can you possibly get the combined light information back once it's blurred like that? The only alternative I can think of is having an effectivley infinite depth of field, and software-producing the in-focus/out-of-focus blur effect. Unless you can explain it better, since I haven't looked into those light field cameras too much really.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Stress, my mentor (master photographer, int he game for 28 years now) was telling me the same thing when digital come out. Look where that is