Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Looking for a DSLR

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
Hmm, are there any non-DSLR's that might be able to handle low light? I"m not hardcore enough to be able to fiddle with all that complex stuff.

INNAWE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais 5ltr
This is a pisser of a read guy’s lol. But I don’t think the op really had this in mind.

But don’t get me wrong..... This made for some entertaining reading lol. Cheers for the smiles guys. I was feeling a bit down till I read this lmao

some_guy

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SII Exec.
Where does all that extra light go? Why wont it change the brightness?

Even on a basic kit lens your maximum aperture will be around f5.6 so when using a lens at f1.8 although the light is just over 8 times brighter. If you are able to see that visibly after you have changed lenses i.e. allowed your eyes to re-adjust to the light, your a god.

The light is deflected by a mirror, if there is more light being let in by a faster lens than what a slower lens would (you both said this is true), you WILL see more light in your viewfinder. Does this not make sense? if not, how does this not make sens?

Read above^^ technically more light is available to your eyes like you said we both say that is true. But you wont notice it.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Hmm, are there any non-DSLR's that might be able to handle low light? I"m not hardcore enough to be able to fiddle with all that complex stuff.

Fuji x10. I use one for everyday stuff. So much easier than lugging bloody slr or medium format gear everywhere

INNAWE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais 5ltr

To be honest, Sony make so pretty good compact cameras for low light. I have one and the picures it comes out with are pretty good.

Cheers
Scott

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
Fuji x10. I use one for everyday stuff. So much easier than lugging bloody slr or medium format gear everywhere

To be honest, Sony make so pretty good compact cameras for low light. I have one and the picures it comes out with are pretty good.

Cheers
Scott

Thanks guys, Minux I'll have a read up on that one. Scott - do you have a model number?

INNAWE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais 5ltr
Thanks guys, Minux I'll have a read up on that one. Scott - do you have a model number?

Dude I have no idea lol. It's at home. If ..... and thats a big if lol, if I remember Ill have a look and see what it is. Its pretty old but.
Also + 1 for the Fuji. I had one many years ago and swear by it.
If your looking at editing the pics as well, make sure what every camera you buy can shoot in raw format.
It takes up a crap load more space but it is the raw image of what you see and not compressed through the camera itself....

In saying that I havnt bought a camera for many years so not sure if they all come out like that now or not.

Just something to think about when buying thats all. :)

INNAWE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais 5ltr
woohooo found it lol. That wasnt hard now was it Scott lol.

Sony DSC-H10, its pretty old now but they are good camera for a compact that is.

Also one site you can review and compare on is DPreview.com.

Gus

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Acclaim
I'd recommend a Canon 550d
Pretty easy to get the hang of and it also has the ability to record in High Definition.

It comes with an 18-55mm Kit lens as well, although not too impressive it's still fun to use.

If your budget is around $800 then you can pick up the 50mm f/1.8 (around $100 or so now) as well and be pretty close to the mark.

My 2 cents.

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Even on a basic kit lens your maximum aperture will be around f5.6 so when using a lens at f1.8 although the light is just over 8 times brighter. If you are able to see that visibly after you have changed lenses i.e. allowed your eyes to re-adjust to the light, your a god.

Read above^^ technically more light is available to your eyes like you said we both say that is true. But you wont notice it.

If you did what I said you should with the DOF preview button, you would see the difference between a lens that has a max aperture of f1.8 and one that has f5.6.
But I guess this is more than you are capable of so, just keep being some_guy because that's all I think of you as.