Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Looking to buy a Calais V Tourer

kos

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Lt
Other poster on other forums are saying GMH is currently very profitable. They have dropped their low price cars-Barina , Barina Spark, Astra sedan so most of what they sell is higher priced models.

Another poster said that the next generation Colorado has been cancelled. If that is the case (who knows?) then yes you would say GMH would be toast as I think last month out of their 3000 odd sales 1200 odd were Colorados.

So who knows. GM probably don't know what to do themselves. If GMH are profitable and some new rhd models can be available maybe they will carry on.

Anyway some 10000 ZB commodores have been sold here now so its not an orphan. Compare it to new Focus selling only 270 a month and Mondeo now 30 a month. Which car is the orphan.

benny66

Benno
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF MY14 Calais V ZB MY18 Calais V
Yes if Holden close I agree but I think Holden will become GM and sell large trucks SUV and the volt etc. They GM will provide the support as they have the Buick Regal in the USA and Ch ijna to support. The V6 engine in from the USA anyway. Parts will be expensive but they are already for the previous Insignia that was sold in OZ when Opel were here . I think insurance on the car will soar too due to the cost of imported German parts .

benny66

Benno
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF MY14 Calais V ZB MY18 Calais V
Anyway some 10000 ZB commodores have been sold here now so its not an orphan. Compare it to new Focus selling only 270 a month and Mondeo now 30 a month. Which car is the orphan.

Yes but Monde sells well in the UK so will survive as will Ford in OZ as the Focus sells well.

Where do you see the sales figures of the ZB?

arsevee

Reaction score
Members Ride
RS-V Sportwagon
I think what might have a serious effect on the 5 year value will be whether the Holden brand still exists by then. Unless they come up with a world beater, or GM has a change of heart, I can see Holden going the way of Pontiac. The fact that the ZB is a virtual ex GM orphan now, with its eventual replacement so unsure, doesn't help either.
Could happen - GM could drop the Holden badge, import SUVs (they'e pretty much killed the passenger vehicle market in the US), or just pull out altogether - after all Vauxhall & Opel were much bigger than Holden, and GM offloaded them. We have an over-supplied market with way too many brands fighting for a shrinking market and as GM-H is out of the top 10, there's not an awful lot of brand equity left...

kos

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Lt
Yes but Monde sells well in the UK so will survive as will Ford in OZ as the Focus sells well.

Where do you see the sales figures of the ZB?
Yesbenny 66,CarAdvice.com.au reports the industry sales(vfacts) each month. Zb ranging in the 400:600 a month in sales.

I think Mondeo will get the chop in Europe it will die. Actually I d like to see a motoring magazine or car website do a comparison of Mondeo 2 litre vs Zb 2 litre.

The v6 Zb is now in a world of its own.
At its price point what are the other 6 cyl offers?

arsevee

Reaction score
Members Ride
RS-V Sportwagon
Yesbenny 66,CarAdvice.com.au reports the industry sales(vfacts) each month. Zb ranging in the 400:600 a month in sales.

I think Mondeo will get the chop in Europe it will die. Actually I d like to see a motoring magazine or car website do a comparison of Mondeo 2 litre vs Zb 2 litre.

The v6 Zb is now in a world of its own.
At its price point what are the other 6 cyl offers?
Yep. So it's 'only' an Opel, but where else are you going to get a German-built V6 AWD for the price..?

At the full RRP of $53k, it's reasonable value, at $30k less than 12 months old (less than $25k for an RS sedan), it's an absolute bargain!

You'd be looking at at least double the price for a Euro brand with the same specs...

kos

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Lt
I agree it’s the value buy in its segments.

Why don’t the Police run Zb, s instead of those funny Smallish Sonatas here in Qld and I see Nsw Police Hyundai Sonatas on general duties.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
I agree it’s the value buy in its segments.

Why don’t the Police run Zb, s instead of those funny Smallish Sonatas here in Qld and I see Nsw Police Hyundai Sonatas on general duties.
They do in SA and some police cars are ZB in Victoria.

green_comet

Reaction score
Members Ride
Focus ST
I still haven't decided if I should pull the trigger on a Calais V Tourer yet, I'm actually going to check this one out at Patterson Cheney tomorrow with the misses.

To be honest the car ticks all the boxes for us, the only thing putting me off is the terrible future resale and the fuel consumption.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
@green_comet you’d want to haggle hard as $40k DA seems a little high. A quick search on carsales seems to indicate its list price should be a few K’s cheaper and then you should be able to negotiate that down a few more K’s. And that logic is for a car that’s selling well and a manufacturer which isn’t desperate.

Just keep in mind Holden dealers and sales staff are desperate to sell ZB’s or anything for that matter. So you should exhibit an indifferent attitude to buying, better to exhibit more of a curiosity but want firm prices. That means not going in tow with the wife which screams “we want to buy today”.

I think it was in this thread some posts earlier, one member saved $20k off the $54k RRP which should put it @ $34k or there about. So you’ve got to haggle.

Guess it all depends on how you value your spare time and whether you’re able to de dictate a few weekends to “tyre kicking” but being able to do such can save some big dollars.