Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's Series I SS Ute (AKA Black Thunder).

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
You need to edit the thread title to include “Black Thunder” at the end.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Not sure what it is? I had a couple in the Maccas carpark just say, "can you leave it running mate, so we can listen? It sounds bloody awesome..."

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
@losh1971 away from Black Thunder.
1647594377429.png

@losh1971 in and next to Black Thunder
1647594352768.png

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
So this eve I fixed up my previous handy work where I did the touch ups on the inside of the door. Previously I had done a rushed job and didn't remove much as I was new to the VE thing and had no idea. Anyway it had been bugging me for some time and I was going to get the panel beater to fix it for me when he buffs it. But $450 to do the door is a lot more than I can really afford. So ended up telling him I will paint the inside of said door.
So stripped all the seals and trims and wet rubbed it the other day, and then hit it with a pressure can of Phantom tonight. Bit of a mistake as nearly always it went on terrible. I don't know what it is with pressure packs they just react, unless you have warm air blowing from behind.

So it reacted, but I managed to have enough paint to get a thin coat over what I had to fix, phewww. I then hit it with clear from the gun but I used the hair dryer and it it dried a bit too quick and was rough, plus the recommended ratios are normally wrong in my experience. So one final big wet rub all over and just now I have been able to put a 25/75 coat of clear on it and got it looking pretty nice. I had a little clear left in the gun and I was tempted to just give it that last bit, but I used restraint, yay I didn't end up with any runs, and a reasonable shine for the inside of a door.
Not sure if I will have to wet rub it or not, and I won't know until tomorrow if I do or not. I'm hoping I can just get away with some compound on a polishing cloth and maybe wet rub any drift, which is only underneath. Worst comes to worst I will get some 3000 and lightly go over it.

Reactions: Lex

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
So this eve I fixed up my previous handy work where I did the touch ups on the inside of the door. Previously I had done a rushed job and didn't remove much as I was new to the VE thing and had no idea. Anyway it had been bugging me for some time and I was going to get the panel beater to fix it for me when he buffs it. But $450 to do the door is a lot more than I can really afford. So ended up telling him I will paint the inside of said door.
So stripped all the seals and trims and wet rubbed it the other day, and then hit it with a pressure can of Phantom tonight. Bit of a mistake as nearly always it went on terrible. I don't know what it is with pressure packs they just react, unless you have warm air blowing from behind.

So it reacted, but I managed to have enough paint to get a thin coat over what I had to fix, phewww. I then hit it with clear from the gun but I used the hair dryer and it it dried a bit too quick and was rough, plus the recommended ratios are normally wrong in my experience. So one final big wet rub all over and just now I have been able to put a 25/75 coat of clear on it and got it looking pretty nice. I had a little clear left in the gun and I was tempted to just give it that last bit, but I used restraint, yay I didn't end up with any runs, and a reasonable shine for the inside of a door.
Not sure if I will have to wet rub it or not, and I won't know until tomorrow if I do or not. I'm hoping I can just get away with some compound on a polishing cloth and maybe wet rub any drift, which is only underneath. Worst comes to worst I will get some 3000 and lightly go over it.

Leave the can in a bucket of hot water for 4-5mins. Until you can shake the can and it remains hot.
Game changer.
Paint thins out. Pressure improves and goes on lovely.

Just did it this arvo. Some orange peel, but not much. Better than most would do with a spray gun.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I know you don’t like those wheels but they are legit Holden wheels and look the shizz.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Bought two headlights last night, and just now I gave the problem housing a shot with some TCut and orange pad on the rotary. Actually came up a fair bit better for 15 mins work.
Wondering now if I have spent $235 that I could have saved. Although the products needed to polish and seal them would be close to $75.
If I feel energetic I could probably get the patch of clear coat off with some wet & dry, and then hit them again with the rotary. They aren't actually yellow as such just the clear has mostly come off on the passenger side.