Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's VR Ute build thread

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I will soon drop the rack if need be. But either way it will be a darn sight easier fitting them at home with the pit.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Unbolting the flange will be a bugger. I have to get nuts welded to the bolt heads so i can undo them. I will then heat up the weld nuts withe the map torch before undoing the bolts. I need to sand blast the pacies and paint them yet. But i need some new tips and a new mask for the sandblaster, probably be a few weeks before I order them, fair bit dearer for the tips than i expected.
Hmm dont think that collector/flange will go through, might as I said never done pacies, also old ones have to come off first ;) they dont always come out without a fight

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Got the Pacies at Carline Exhaust to extract the two bolts on the mini flange. Then I need to chase up some more bolts for all three flanges as well as buy some orange RTV. Bloke at Carline said to just use RTV on the mini flange and not worry about a gasket. Really want to get them fitted this weekend but not sure if that will happen since I don't have a sandblasting mask and not sure where to buy one without using eBay.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
I don't have a sandblasting mask and not sure where to buy one without using eBay.

Just make your own.
images (1).jpeg

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Don't know if I'm getting Pacies fitted this weekend as hoped. :( I have to order a mask from eBay as no one sells them and need sandblasting tips. I think I will just fit the new 02 sensor to the existing Y pipe and be done with it. Then I would have time to get everything sorted and make sure I have all the gear to clean up the extractors. Then it is just a matter of fitting them.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Starting to get organised with the extractors today. I now have the gaskets. The bolts on the small flange have been extracted and new ones fitted. Was hoping to get nuts welded on the heads and undo them myself but Carline Exhausts didn't really want to and opted to remove them for me. Not sure if I was charged a lot for the labour because it was $60 all up including two manifold gaskets, two bolts an a mini flange gasket, which I just realised I forgot to get the flange gasket for the Y pipe dohhh....:mad: Having trouble finding sensor safe orange RTV, so need to find what auto store sells it and at a decent price.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Just ordered some sandblaster nozzles and a new protective head and face mask. Probably take two weeks to arrive so looks like the headers won't be fitted for 2,1/2 weeks. This week I will clean them up with the wire brush on the grinder best I can and then I can just spend 10-15 mins on the blaster, getting into the nooks and crannies. Would love to have them fitted this weekend but can't have everything. Gonna head home tomorrow after work and see if I have any hi-temp exhaust paint or if I need to buy another can from SCA. Gonna paint them matt black as I don't particularly like the light blue on the Pacies and prefer some less conspicuous. I need to size up the bolts for the flanges as I left the bolts behind at the wreckers. Just means getting something roughly the right size and then going in to the bolts shop and buying the right ones.
On another note since I won't be fitting headers I am going to do some light panel work and tap out this tiny dent I have in the rear quarter near the tail light. Then I plan to cut and polish the paint. I also have a plastic tub corner that needs sandblasting and repainting as someone has painted it in cheap enamel by the looks of it, as it is all cracked up. If I get time I will also lower the rear part of the headlining and reglue it as it has come away from the board and had a small bubble in it.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Plan was to get all the mentioned above done today but all I managed was the O2 sensor. Hopefully on Saturday I will get a few more things done. Run out of time because I was working out measurements for my linen press doors and trim panels.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
This just arrived. Pity i won't be home until tomorrow evening before I can fit it.
20180510_114721.jpg

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Waiting to see how it goes good luck mate.