Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's VR Ute build thread

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
They are Spare Parts stickers and I've taken the number and will run it through the GM system on Monday and see what turns up. More than likely it'll be in the parts history section which will make it untraceable, but I'm rather certain that the turret skin has been replaced early in the vehicle's life for some odd reason. All that area should be white in colour and not blackish as it currently shows.

The plot thickens.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
They are Spare Parts stickers and I've taken the number and will run it through the GM system on Monday and see what turns up. More than likely it'll be in the parts history section which will make it untraceable, but I'm rather certain that the turret skin has been replaced early in the vehicle's life for some odd reason. All that area should be white in colour and not blackish as it currently shows.

The plot thickens.
Above post edited.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regardless it's all looking rather nice inside now.

Also those A pillar trim pieces always have their clips broken as the sun makes the plastic rather brittle and it's always the lower ones that break the easiest. 9 times out of 10 you'll find that people stick them back on with Sikaflex.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
If it had rolled I doubt it would have ever got back on the road, just not economical to do that kind of repairs on a V6 VR ute.

Yes correct if that happened in the last 10 years, but if it happened in it's first 5 years of life and then depending on how much damage it copped it probably would've been repaired.

Alternatively something could've fallen on it making it easier to replace the skin only.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Mine are good only one side of one clip over the two pillar trims had a cracked clip. I was actually concerned about breaking them myself getting them on, as it's a bastard to line the holes. Especially when you are trying to conceal twin and sheath cable.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yes correct if that happened in the last 10 years, but if it happened in it's first 5 years of life and then depending on how much damage it copped it probably would've been.
True, but I would have thought a roll over would have caused pretty extensive damage to the tub and rear pillars. I think new they were only $26k.
Having said that the drivers side tub rail is not original, it was red at some point. I'd say it has had some sort of driver side impact as I had to do a minor repair on the rear tub quarter.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
It may have only been a very slow light roll , much the same as my HG wagon copped from me being stupid many years ago and that had it's turret skin replaced and found it way back onto the road again 3 weeks later. That was when the car was 10 years old.

The silly things we do when we were young eh ?

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Reference the rollover theory, I have another.
The first owner was a mad AFL supporter, each weekend, park the ute at the ground, stand in the tray leaning on the roof, cans in hand, every time a goal is scored, much thumping top of roof, more beers, big win, jump on roof ...............oops. :eek:

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
I had originally thought of this scenario, but I must admit that hail damage on a ute wouldn't warrant the skins replacement, on a wagon or sedan maybe, but not on a ute as there's a far smaller area to repair and lightly fill opposed to the extra work that's encompassed in a full skin replacement.