Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's VR Ute build thread

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
Agree @Schtoo , you can also include most people don’t attempt work themselves and believe they can’t do it the first time and hesitant if something goes cactus on them.. Best way to learn is making mistakes hands on, which builds up confidence and achievement to conquer/do more things making less misteaks, nobody is perfect, not even Mr Peter.

A saying of my father is .....always do the best you can ..... until you can do better :)

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Got all the painting done on the ute today. I have a little bit of cleaning up on the mirrors. Unfortunately the rubber ring got a tiny bit of overspray on it. But plan it to clean it up tomorrow. I also have to wet rub the roof down, right on the edge of the windscreen it got the edge spray of the gun where it comes out fairly dry. But I applied plenty of paint so wil be able to get it smooth. Overall I didn't get as much shine off the gun on the roof as I would have liked. Not sure exactly why, as I used plenty of thinners, I thought. The mirrors had a ton of shine as did the tub rails. It's fine, it's just an extra bit of time on the block.

I decided not to fit the freshly painted rails today. One the dog jumps on them as we're going along and two, soft paint and tonnneau covers are not a good match. I may fit them in 10 or so days, or I may wait until after Christmas. If I fit them Sunday week, I will probably need to tape them up for protection, as I really need 4 weeks for them to cure properly. It will be the same with the buff. I won't be able to polish the paint for at least 4 weeks.

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
Hey Losh I would be really cautious about taping the rails to protect them as the tape may well react with newish lacquer and leave a print once removed. It happens with nitrocellulose lacquer which I use on guitars.

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
Hey Losh I would be really cautious about taping the rails to protect them as the tape may well react with newish lacquer and leave a print once removed. It happens with nitrocellulose lacquer which I use on guitars.

Good point. Happen to us with Epoxy Paint on aircraft parts. With time, the adhesive from the tape will bond with the paint.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
^^^^ Yep. Had a mate who masking taped the whole front of his Cooper S Mini (the original version) so that it wouldn't get stone chipped on a long trip on unsealed roads.
A week later, removed the tape and all the underlying paint. Us > highly amused, Him > not happy at all.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute

Hmmmm, was going to us that green masking tape, no good? I might have no choice but to wait a month before I fit them if green tape no good.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I know that you do a lot of searching, and I have no idea of the seal profile, but Clarke Rubber, Windscreens O'Brien, or similar ??
So I bought some seal, $30 from Instant Windscreens. It's slightly wider than the one already there but it should do the job. I have run into a snag though the old seal didn't come out properly as it was glued in along the top. I have tried gouging it out without success, I am feeling the only way to fit the new seal, is going to be to remove the window. The issue is I wouldn't even attempt it and I'm not sure if a windscreen place would either given the risk. The problem I also have is the window is tinted and it's not legal tint either so if it breaks I will have one window with no tint. Not sure what to do at this stage.
I'm open to any ideas on how I can remove the old seal without taking the window out?

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Called the machinist today to check on ETA of heads. Bloke said last week it will be this week, as there was a delay but now he needs them another week again. Had to reschedule garage and now won't be getting done for close to two weeks from today. Hopefully no more delays or they won't be fitted until January.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Called the machinist today to check on ETA of heads. Bloke said last week it will be this week, as there was a delay but now he needs them another week again. Had to reschedule garage and now won't be getting done for close to two weeks from today. Hopefully no more delays or they won't be fitted until January.
Have you said something to him, to upset (piss him of)?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Have you said something to him, to upset (piss him of)?
Maybe, called him too many times, although I am pretty sure it's been over 10 weeks since I dropped them off..... I have called him probably five times in that 10 or more weeks.

Reactions: Lex