Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's VR Ute build thread

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I should know by Wednesday what the issue is. Hoping this time it doesn't take him two hours to figure it out and rectify the problem. I was kinda hoping he would just wait until the CAS arrived and then try that first, as that's a $50 job, well it was last time., hahaha

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
why waste time on changing/bagging sensors if the car has a wiring issue ??, any sensor replaced will get damaged sooner than later if the wiring is playing up especially when a car has had dfi and coil explode, and fingers crossed hopefully it didn't affect the power module.

Also the car history has had dodgy things chopped/altered before car was bought and losh has also fiddled with mutiple wiring issues and changes, thank god things are not worse.

It just might be time to bite the bullet and see a proper car sparky and get the issue diagnosed properly and fixed and pay $, surely it would be cheaper in the end, less stress, less flatbeds, less buying multiple sensors and less touching things that could make things worse.

Maybe it could be a simple EFI relay playing up as its incorporated with sensors like cas/tps etc, who knows, its a simple thing to check.

Also not having a dig at @losh just expressing some obvious thoughts especially when you come to a dead end and can't fix it yourself, its time to stop worrying and see a qualified sparky.
It's at the garage, he has an auto electrician that works for him, if he needs his services I'm sure he will get him in.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The crowd is gathering now, so if he does find anything, you have to let us know.

I think we are all in more or less to help you as best we can.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
Good info.

The TB shouldn't be able to overshoot full open as there is a hard stop built into the mechanism. It was actually an issue with the early V6 TB's that the butterfly didn't reach full open because of the way the stop was cast into the side of the TB.

If is possible, the Throttle mechanical linkage is not rigged/set properly? I am wondering, based on what he said about flooring the car,and having some issues. What about, if there is too much travel and is over turning or placing too much stress on the TPS?

I say, check the travel on the throttle linkage.

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
If is possible, the Throttle mechanical linkage is not rigged/set properly? I am wondering, based on what he said about flooring the car,and having some issues. What about, if there is too much travel and is over turning or placing too much stress on the TPS?

I say, check the travel on the throttle linkage.

Anything is possible when dealing with old stuff as it could have been modified. I used to file all TB throttle stops to ensure it reached full open. Maybe someone stuffed it up?

Another possibility is modified TB's with larger butterflies. If the butterfly isn't made correctly the TB shaft angle is wrong and will effect the TPS reading.

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
Anything is possible when dealing with old stuff as it could have been modified. I used to file all TB throttle stops to ensure it reached full open. Maybe someone stuffed it up?

Another possibility is modified TB's with larger butterflies. If the butterfly isn't made correctly the TB shaft angle is wrong and will effect the TPS reading.

Good thinking.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
That's why we think should check tps voltage is within spec range of ecu full throttle,closed & 1/2 throttle pages back...rules out throttle body issue then becomes tps or wiring or even checking/cleaning earths in harness.

Freebie checks that can rule out several issues.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Another possibility is modified TB's with larger butterflies. If the butterfly isn't made correctly the TB shaft angle is wrong and will effect the TPS reading
If l remember correctly, he has the v8 5 Litre throttle body on?