Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's VR Ute build thread

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Why the heat shield is there in the first place? Why the extra expense? Is actually for heat or is for noise dampening, or both?

I always try to find the true intention of the component before removal and/or modification.
It’s mostly for noise dampening.

Yeah, we had V8s under bonnets with no insulation for years. Pretty sure my Jeep never had one and there was more heat in that engine bay than my V6 ute has. I think they look daggy. They only last a few years before getting dirty and after a few more years they deteriorate.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Is this the aftermarket one you bought a few years back?
It's been probably less than two years, may be only a year or so. Can't get a gen one anymore. This one is supposed to be OEM spec but I don't think it is. I wonder if it's not handling the extra power, hence why I am thinking Powerbond HD if I can get one. AFAIK it hasn't been off using a bolt puller, which wrecks them pretty quick from my experience. I'm hoping to pull the belt tomorrow and listen for the noise. I will also feel the balancer for movement. It doesn't seem to be running perfectly true all the time. Although a rubber mounted pulley may not run perfect from new, not sure?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Is this the aftermarket one you bought a few years back?
Ahh the bonnet mat, that was SH when I fitted it. It was VGC though. When I say they don't last, I mean they start to look ordinary pretty quick. They get dusty and oily and you can't clean them. If you do they fall apart. You can buy aftermarket ones but I heard they don't fit perfectly. Original, no hope of finding one new. When my strut bush broke it put a hole on mine that I sikaflexed, but it looks average now. I do have a pretty good one from the wagon, but it's faded and roads I drive on it won't last.

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
Yeah, we had V8s under bonnets with no insulation for years. Pretty sure my Jeep never had one and there was more heat in that engine bay than my V6 ute has. I think they look daggy. They only last a few years before getting dirty and after a few more years they deteriorate.

Based on the pics and what you are telling me. In my opinion, the fuction is for sound suppression.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
That’s correct.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The next one is where the roller bearings fail due to wear or lack of oil. This causes the roller to stop spinning periodically or completely and the roller skates accross the cam lobe. This can also happen with low oil pressure as you need sufficient friction for the roller to spin. The tell tale sign of this is the squeak sound comming from the engine. When you hear this you need a new cam, lifters and possibly new cam bearings.
Does this occur when the engine is hot? Mine is making this noise but I only notice when it's hot.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Does this occur when the engine is hot? Mine is making this noise but I only notice when it's hot.
Yea when it gets hot it gets louder.