Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's VR Ute build thread

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Looking good!

Is that a VS bar cause it's the same as mine?

I literally just mounted mine by myself. I got a good method to get that bs corner bolt in when you remount it if you struggle cause it. Wasnotfun.
Might PM you when I'm ready as yeah they are a bit tricky to even get off. I know all the hardware from the wagon was trashed getting it off. Could be a VS one but it looks the same as my current one. I have some work to do on
the rad support when I pull it all apart. I probably need to allow two days as it will be a fairly big job.

whiskeytango

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SIII 5.0
Might PM you when I'm ready as yeah they are a bit tricky to even get off. I know all the hardware from the wagon was trashed getting it off. Could be a VS one but it looks the same as my current one. I have some work to do on
the rad support when I pull it all apart. I probably need to allow two days as it will be a fairly big job.
Put a torch up the inside the front of the car (magnetic is best), then lay down in front of the car and look through the vent hole. You should be able to see the rear adjuster nut in that shitty back corner and guide a 10mm spanner onto it. You might get 1/10th turns but it really doesn't take long to do up. I chucked a pillow under my head and relaxed in my typical tropical pool of sweat while doing it lol.
When I undid it I used a really thin socket screwdriver with a 10mm head and bent the blank guard out so it'd fit straight up on it. It will damage your freshly paint guard though so I don't advise this method.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
However, I do have a question, I need to figure out the mounting kits.

I guess my question is can anyone link me to the parts I need and how many I need? I want to have everything I need on hand or I will get stuck and then have to drive without a bar cover while I wait for parts to arrive in the mail. Plus I have lights and bullbar that I really can't drive without because of wildlife and taking it all off is a fair amount of time, atleast 4-5hrs off and on again.
Put a torch up the inside the front of the car (magnetic is best), then lay down in front of the car and look through the vent hole. You should be able to see the rear adjuster nut in that shitty back corner and guide a 10mm spanner onto it. You might get 1/10th turns but it really doesn't take long to do up. I chucked a pillow under my head and relaxed in my typical tropical pool of sweat while doing it lol.
When I undid it I used a really thin socket screwdriver with a 10mm head and bent the blank guard out so it'd fit straight up on it. It will damage your freshly paint guard though so I don't advise this method.
Any idea on what kits I need? Mine is missing a fair bit of hardware and is only attached in about four spots. I can't figure out what to order from eBay. I assume there is no where else to buy the hardware? SCA and Repco don't stock any from looking online.

whiskeytango

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SIII 5.0
So the hole in the top of the bar as in the bottom of that pic has a 20mmish long bolt that goes from the car down through it that hole (It's fixed to the car but I didn't pay attention how it was) then a nut goes on it from underneath. This is used to adjust the bar forwards and backwards.
The next hole along near the headlight has a 20mmish bolt that goes from underneath up into a threaded plate that attaches to the bar and slides along it so you can adjust the location in the slot in the bar.
There's also 3 screws in the front at the top that you can see obviously (Any old screw that fits the whole in the bar will do)
Then there is the 2 bars that attach to the bottom left and right. I'm sure the previous bar had the same.
It's pretty simple I probably made it sound more complicated then I had to.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Anyone got a pic of the underside of a white VR VS bonnet, without heat shield? I'm thinking of pulling mine off this week but before I do I want to make sure I will be happy without it.

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
Why the heat shield is there in the first place? Why the extra expense? Is actually for heat or is for noise dampening, or both?

I always try to find the true intention of the component before removal and/or modification.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
It’s mostly for noise dampening.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Anyone got a pic of the underside of a white VR VS bonnet, without heat shield? I'm thinking of pulling mine off this week but before I do I want to make sure I will be happy without it.
I found Silver.

Green
CDA22348-7764-41F8-BCC1-6D9EC40E6D60.jpeg

White with modified bonnet
https://www.facebook.com/MARKS-Work...r-355ci-with-2300fdfi-harrop/561007447726657/

Bingo
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/aca...litre-5-speed-manual-ute-low-klms-/1266279319
C74CD4C5-5431-4C1F-AC30-9CF52078521A.jpeg

10 large for a low k 5speed “Iron Lion” powered ute. That’s an impressive deal for someone.

Last edited:

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
So i see back a page you talk about loctite 401.
Was helping a mate fix some plastic lock mech part in his sons XG.
Had some rapidfix welding powder (normally comes in a 2 pack with adhesive) he added to it and it goes stupidly strong.
So maybe try find some of that to add to the 401/406 when you do go to do the plastic fix ups.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Suspecting my third balancer could be on its way out. I am getting a slightly squeaky rattly sound when hot. Not sure which one I should buy? I'd like to get one suitable for an SC but not sure if that would work if I didn't have a charger for a few years? But I also don't want to buy two.
I thought it was the AC clutch bearing but the noise seems to remain even with the AC on.
I'm also getting a slight miss on idle. I thought that was the AC but with the AC off it still has a miss every 20-30 second. Its a bit like it's going to cut out until but it does a 2 second miss and keeps going . However, under load it doesn't miss.

Last edited: