Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's VR Ute build thread

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
1610437570514.png

Gotta love it when the two places that supply the trade in Launceston are selling faulty parts. This one was Vic but goes to show that Repco are dropping the ball on the parts they are selling.
I took back my second faulty Delphi TPS yesterday and got a refund this time, instead of a swap. I have just paid $83 and bought a Gen one. This time I am also going to pay an extra $40 and have a garage fit it, to be safe...

Last edited:

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
I will have fingers, toes and curlys crossed for you!

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Had to edit above post. I'm getting confused since everything I am working on lately has a three letter acronym lol... Actually getting a Gen TPS that will be fitted by a garage. In terms of breakdowns I am heading home tomorrow, since the dentist gave me the week off work, because of the three wisdom teeth extractions. Here's hoping I make it all the way there and back on Friday without breaking down...

Reactions: Lex

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Ok, so been home since yesterday as the dentist gave me a week off due to the three wisdom teeth extractions. I managed today to make a ground strap for the DFI, and tuck it up along the back of the DFI along towards the rear of the manifold and bolted it down with a manifold bolt. I also squirted contact cleaner on the DFI plug and where it pushes in. Gave it a blow out and put it back together..
Also been working on the rear window seal. The old one was buggard and needed replacing however to do it properly the window needs to come out.
Since that will cost a lot of money plus wreck the tint I have decided I will glue the seal in with Sikaflex. I will actually have to install the seal upside down as it won't sit right any other way. I would have liked to have put it in tonight but I need my Locite to join the ends of the seal, which is in Town. That way when it shrinks it pull apart and have a gap as the old one did.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
That was a wise decision?

Sorry, could not help myself with a smart ass remark. :D
I'm not so sure it was wise now....... It's not too comfortable..

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Been working on the rear window rubber. As said I had to glue it in with Sikaflex. I had to work on it section by section and glue it in in section. Ended up making the rubber in three pieces, as the lower corners you couldn't keep the rubber in one piece or it would not have sat flat. I have trimmed it all in now and just need to Loctite the two joins on the bottom corners.
It came up looking quite ok I now need to figure out how to repair the rear external piller trims. I unfortunately have the common problem of the plastic cracking away where they screw to the L bracket just near the door. I'd like to make some pieces to glue on with Locite 401, just not sure how to go about it and getting it looking good.
20210116_150230_resized.jpg

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I have organised to head around to the father in laws tomorrow to paint my bar cover in 2k Alaskan. I'm also hoping we might finish the repair and paint the passenger sill panel that I dented many years ago when I got bogged on a dirt road that I didn't know had closed due to logging operations. I fixed it mostly but didn't paint the entire panel and there is some shading. Hopefully we can rub it back, undercoat it and hit it with fresh 2k.
If we get it done then I only really have the bonnet left to paint properly, the tailgate and tailgate rail. However the TG has a few tiny dings in and I need to find a place to massage them out, which may mean a trip to Hobart three hours away, unless I can find someone else closer.

However, I do have a question, I need to figure out the mounting kits. I have PM'd a mate but it's pretty confusing as I still don't know what I really need and how many kits I need to fit the entire bar cover. My current cover is only held on with a couple of clips or bolts, hard to tell exactly but I can see several mounting spots with nothing in them.

I guess my question is can anyone link me to the parts I need and how many I need? I want to have everything I need on hand or I will get stuck and then have to drive without a bar cover while I wait for parts to arrive in the mail. Plus I have lights and bullbar that I really can't drive without because of wildlife and taking it all off is a fair amount of time, atleast 4-5hrs off and on again.

whiskeytango

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SIII 5.0
Looking good!

Is that a VS bar cause it's the same as mine?

I literally just mounted mine by myself. I got a good method to get that bs corner bolt in when you remount it if you struggle cause it. Wasnotfun.