Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's VR Ute build thread

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Tank breathers are all done. New Gates water pump is now on and system bled. Here's hoping this time the pump will last longer than 14 months. Tool box back on. At some stage i need to paint the tub side rails. Need to do that before i refit the liner. Last three days i have been to the mechanics workshop hoping the hoist is free. Keep getting told try tomorrow. I want him to see where i am leaking oil. I would like to get the sump done if it is and i think i will get the mech to do the job. I believe it is just a matter of undoing the mounts from underneath and hoisting up the engine enough to slip the sump out. I may have another crank seal leak so might pay the 50 bucks and get that done too. What i really want to do before anything though is fill the tank to the top of the neck and see if i still have fuel stink. Might have to wait until i get paid next week, dunno.

Last V6 sump gasket I did, I dropped the K-frame and supported the engine with an engine crane.....Gave me heaps of room to remove and re-fit the sump with a new gasket.....Took me about 6 hours stuff assing round....If I was quicker I reckon I could have had it done in about 2 to 3 hours at home

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Thanks VC good to know it can be done in around 3hrs. For that money I will probably get it done.

On another note I went for a trip to the self serve wreckers. They have a column VS wagon in there. A few months back I grab part of the dash fascia that holds in the stereo and controls surround. I went back to get the surround and bugger some bastard must have seen it and bought it. Was a bit short at the time and only grabbed the part I really needed as I have a surround that is pretty good, just not perfect, like this one was. Because I missed out on that I had enough money in my wallet to pick up these Stato sun visors, in cloth trim to match my door trims. While I was there i wanted to grab the sill scuff plate off the column wagon but on the wagon they are full length throgh to the back. Don't know if they can be cut down or not and still look good?
20190110_171750.jpg

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Hi Losh,

That's the first VR ute I've seen with a toilet in the back ????:confused:

I must admit I also felt that it was merely about lifting the engine off the K-Frame which gave one enough room to slip the sump out and reseal it to replace.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I must admit I also felt that it was merely about lifting the engine off the K-Frame which gave one enough room to slip the sump out and reseal it to replace.

The mech said that's all he needs to do. But I will confirm with him when I can finally get it up on his hoist to confirm that the sump is leaking. Or if it's just the RM and crank seal.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
They're pretty notorious for Sump and Rear Main Seal to start spewing oil everywhere as they are all at that age now. Surprisingly the Harmonic Balancer Seals are normally not that common to let go. The sumps are the mongrels.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
It's only a weep from the crank seal. TBH I am not even 100% convinced the oil is coming from the seal as I did replace it when I fitted a new balancer a couple of years ago. I need an expert opinion, hence trying to get it up on the mech's hoist. It could be the front of the sump leaking. Pretty confident the rear main is leaking but it's only a weep. Still thinking about slipping the trans out myself and tackling that one. Just a tad concerned I might not be able to rattle the flex plate bolts off with only my CP air rattle gun. Also not sure how to set the seal as it needs a special tool I don't have nor know what it is called. Gun will undo the bolts but the compressor needs more pressure than 120psi to really get the max out of the gun. Decent battery gun would be the go but I have a damn expensive air one so not keen on spending 500 bucks on a battery one. Good thing is if the trans comes out I can fit the servo, replace the front trans seal and RM all at once along with greasing the unis on the tail-shaft. I tried greasing them a few weeks ago and realised the uni needs to be almost 90deg to fit the grease gun on the nipples.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore

MR.HG

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HG Brougham, VS Ute, VR SS
You can cut the sill scuff from a wagon to suit, even from a sedan, just be careful removing because the plastic clips are brittle these days. Best to remove the rubber insert entirely first.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just a tad concerned I might not be able to rattle the flex plate bolts off with only my CP air rattle gun.

What's wrong with good ol' fashioned Sidchrome spanners ??

I've never used a rattle gun on anything apart from Front Strut top nuts.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
How do you lock the engine to undo the flex plate bolts?