Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Loss of power in low k engine :(

moocow

moo_c0w
Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 WH Statesman LS1 manual HBD
Ok, so I own a 96 vs with about 115,000 on the clock. It's a really healthy engine and gearbox and you can really tell that it's low k's. However, last week I got a call at work and had to race home for an emergency. This was the hardest I've driven this car and probably the hardest it's ever been driven lol. It handled it no problem, but when I got in to town it was struggling, backfiring/spluttering, and the gear changes were all weird. I figured maybe I'd just flooded it and it eventually sorted itself out. But ever since then I've noticed that it seems to struggle a bit from take off or low in the rev range. Just basically lost the instant responsiveness it used to have. It has new plugs, leads, oil and oil and fuel filters all less than 500k's ago and the coil packs seem good. I'd really like to get this sorted as I haven't had the car that long and I want to keep it in good condition. Please help?

sleepyjean

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr acclaim
The problem is it could be a long list of items, but since your in the country and I would look first at fuel filter and dirty fuel.
Driving the car hard would stir up anything in the bottom of the tank possibly causing a block in the filter. Then I would look at error codes and run from there.

moocow

moo_c0w
Reaction score
Members Ride
So even though I'd just changed the fuel filter it could still be blocked?
I don't have a scanner so I got a quote for a mechanic to check it and they said $40 c:

Stevevr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr commodore
How long have your injectors been in the car for mine was running same as yours took all injectors out they were really bad got a kit from Repco real easy to pull apart and put back together now runs like new

tavrin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2 L67
How did you test your coils?
The resistance test accross the secondary windings sometimes returns a false positive.
The coils tend to cause erattic surging in power / missfires when they're on their way out (Spark leaks internally through a winding).

It could also be the DFI too...
I had my L67 missfire randomly on / off boost after stretching its legs a week ago... Didn't throw any error codes. It turns out that the DFI got cooked lol

Would also be advisable to clean your MAF with some MAF cleaner to ensure the ECU is calculating the right airflow and delivering the proper amount of fuel for low down accel.

Hope that helps

moocow

moo_c0w
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey guys, sorry for the delay,

I'm getting my heads shaved, valves re-seated and angled and also some mild porting. I'll be replacing all the gaskets and seals when I put it back together.
Hopefully that will solve my problem.
I'm also looking at replacing the cam and springs while the engine is apart but I'll make a new post for those questions haha