Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lower profile tyres = harsher ride?

Clay1391

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ssv redline
That was a great price you paid!
I've just clocked up 20k kms on the same tyres.
Much better than the factory Bridgestones, very quiet and great grip wet or dry.
I think they might be a bit soft though. Fronts are wearing well, but the tread is disappearing on the rears.
Probably a great tyre on a lighter vehicle with less torque.
I feel for the price they are pretty good. Kinforest which ive only had are around 150$ per tyre and for the extra 100$ per tyre it feels like a premium tyre.

[paradox]

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV-R
not better because Falken have given the tyre reviewers a good day out
yeah i havent gone back to falken since my VT days, which is now a while ago.
but they were great initially, then got hard.
im assuming there has been many advancements since then, but its a lot of cash to try out when you are happy with another brand.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
yeah i havent gone back to falken since my VT days, which is now a while ago.
but they were great initially, then got hard.
im assuming there has been many advancements since then, but its a lot of cash to try out when you are happy with another brand.
I find it really difficult to buy tyres, as opposed to most other things in life!
With cars you can properly compare before buying; with groceries you can taste it, you know how long it'll last.
With tyres they perform & behave differently as fitted to different cars, and in different sizes. You can't trial-run a set of tyres to see if they "go good" on your car, you have to buy before you try. And if a tyre comparison finds a 5% difference in performance between two tyres in Size A, then in similar-dimensions Size B there could be just as much difference back the other way.
And those proper comparisons (ie. taking 30 sets of different tyres to a closed track which allows testing in road-driving conditions & having the driver done by a professional who can repeat the exact same drive around that track many times) are fairly difficult & expensive to conduct, so even though they're only a vague indicator they're not common anyway.

Clay1391

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ssv redline
I find it really difficult to buy tyres, as opposed to most other things in life!
With cars you can properly compare before buying; with groceries you can taste it, you know how long it'll last.
With tyres they perform & behave differently as fitted to different cars, and in different sizes. You can't trial-run a set of tyres to see if they "go good" on your car, you have to buy before you try. And if a tyre comparison finds a 5% difference in performance between two tyres in Size A, then in similar-dimensions Size B there could be just as much difference back the other way.
And those proper comparisons (ie. taking 30 sets of different tyres to a closed track which allows testing in road-driving conditions & having the driver done by a professional who can repeat the exact same drive around that track many times) are fairly difficult & expensive to conduct, so even though they're only a vague indicator they're not common anyway.
Your right but do you have a better idea on what could be done to have a more fairier opion on tyres? Do you feel that canstar should weigh in on this? It's easy to say something is done poorly but have no other options on how it should be done.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

Mycar (formally K-mart tyre and auto) actually have a policy in place at the moment, where if you're not happy with your tyres, you can replace them within 30 days.

IMA, generally it takes until you have about 1/2 tread left to find out that they aren't as great as initially thought.

So a little food for thought

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ

You are not the only one as this motoring guru explains ……….. https://www.whichcar.com.au/opinion/the-madness-of-buying-tyres
As for no-names, I have Chinese made 'Pace" on my Crewman. Came with it when I bought it, probably not something I would buy if I was looking for new boots, but they seem OK, directional tread pattern, wearing OK. But the Crewman is not a high powered sporty car.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Your right but do you have a better idea on what could be done to have a more fairier opion on tyres? Do you feel that canstar should weigh in on this? It's easy to say something is done poorly but have no other options on how it should be done.
No, and I didn't say anything was done poorly either ... I have no idea how it could be any different without massive expense (which would have to flow through to the end buyer).
It's just a fact - buying tyres isn't something you can do without gambling, unless you put 100k kms a year on your tyres of course. Even relying on other people's opinions doesn't work, so many people are so over-enthusiastic about what they buy & it's not unusual to be disappointed if you take that recommendation (eg. I once bought a pair of the first-gen Goodyear Eagle Aquatreads in the mid 90's because some random online told me how brilliant they were - they really really weren't, they were truly awful).

Mycar (formally K-mart tyre and auto) actually have a policy in place at the moment, where if you're not happy with your tyres, you can replace them within 30 days.

IMA, generally it takes until you have about 1/2 tread left to find out that they aren't as great as initially thought.

So a little food for thought
Would be hard to wear the fronts down to 1/2 tread within 30 days ... LSx Commodore, though, you could prolly do the rears fairly easily? :)

As for no-names, I have Chinese made 'Pace" on my Crewman. Came with it when I bought it, probably not something I would buy if I was looking for new boots, but they seem OK, directional tread pattern, wearing OK. But the Crewman is not a high powered sporty car.
Along similar lines, you do have to be a bit careful about parallel imports ... high volume low-price tyre mobs like Tempe Tyres will import tyres from a different source to that used by the official importer, and although the model of tyre is the same they're actually different in different markets. The Tempe Tyres provided Michelin Pilot Sport 4S may not be the same tyre as one you bought from Jax.
Costco seems to use Australian-market stuff, though, and they're not exxy.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
high volume low-price tyre mobs like Tempe Tyres will import tyres from a different source to that used by the official importer, and although the model of tyre is the same they're actually different in different markets. The Tempe Tyres provided Michelin Pilot Sport 4S may not be the same tyre as one you bought from Jax.

I have used them as a price comparison point, and wondered if they were like John West's canned tuna.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Along similar lines, you do have to be a bit careful about parallel imports ... high volume low-price tyre mobs like Tempe Tyres will import tyres from a different source to that used by the official importer, and although the model of tyre is the same they're actually different in different markets. The Tempe Tyres provided Michelin Pilot Sport 4S may not be the same tyre as one you bought from Jax.
Costco seems to use Australian-market stuff, though, and they're not exxy.

I can tell you, Tempe source direct from the factory the tyre is made....The only difference I am aware of is, they don't warrant the tyre they pass on against road hazards and alikes.

On a couple of occasions, I have actually seen tyres from Tempe that are actually newer than the tyres supplied from the suppliers warehouse.

Jax and Costco, I'm not sure about how they get their tyres...