Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lower profile tyres = harsher ride?

Discussion in 'VF Holden Commodore (2013 - 2017)' started by Clay1391, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Clay1391

Clay1391 Active Member

Members Ride:
    Ssv redline
    I feel for the price they are pretty good. Kinforest which ive only had are around 150$ per tyre and for the extra 100$ per tyre it feels like a premium tyre.

2. [paradox]

[paradox] Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF2 SSV-R
    yeah i havent gone back to falken since my VT days, which is now a while ago.
    but they were great initially, then got hard.
    im assuming there has been many advancements since then, but its a lot of cash to try out when you are happy with another brand.

panhead likes this.
  3. Forg

Forg Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
    I find it really difficult to buy tyres, as opposed to most other things in life!
    With cars you can properly compare before buying; with groceries you can taste it, you know how long it'll last.
    With tyres they perform & behave differently as fitted to different cars, and in different sizes. You can't trial-run a set of tyres to see if they "go good" on your car, you have to buy before you try. And if a tyre comparison finds a 5% difference in performance between two tyres in Size A, then in similar-dimensions Size B there could be just as much difference back the other way.
    And those proper comparisons (ie. taking 30 sets of different tyres to a closed track which allows testing in road-driving conditions & having the driver done by a professional who can repeat the exact same drive around that track many times) are fairly difficult & expensive to conduct, so even though they're only a vague indicator they're not common anyway.

4. Clay1391

Clay1391 Active Member

Members Ride:
    Ssv redline
    Your right but do you have a better idea on what could be done to have a more fairier opion on tyres? Do you feel that canstar should weigh in on this? It's easy to say something is done poorly but have no other options on how it should be done.

5. vc commodore

vc commodore Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vc commodore

Mycar (formally K-mart tyre and auto) actually have a policy in place at the moment, where if you're not happy with your tyres, you can replace them within 30 days.

IMA, generally it takes until you have about 1/2 tread left to find out that they aren't as great as initially thought.

So a little food for thought

6. figjam

figjam Donating Member

Members Ride:
    Monaro CV8, Cross 6 Crewman, Territory Ghia.
    You are not the only one as this motoring guru explains ……….. https://www.whichcar.com.au/opinion/the-madness-of-buying-tyres
    As for no-names, I have Chinese made 'Pace" on my Crewman. Came with it when I bought it, probably not something I would buy if I was looking for new boots, but they seem OK, directional tread pattern, wearing OK. But the Crewman is not a high powered sporty car.

7. Forg

Forg Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    No, and I didn't say anything was done poorly either ... I have no idea how it could be any different without massive expense (which would have to flow through to the end buyer).
    It's just a fact - buying tyres isn't something you can do without gambling, unless you put 100k kms a year on your tyres of course. Even relying on other people's opinions doesn't work, so many people are so over-enthusiastic about what they buy & it's not unusual to be disappointed if you take that recommendation (eg. I once bought a pair of the first-gen Goodyear Eagle Aquatreads in the mid 90's because some random online told me how brilliant they were - they really really weren't, they were truly awful).

Would be hard to wear the fronts down to 1/2 tread within 30 days ... LSx Commodore, though, you could prolly do the rears fairly easily? :)

Along similar lines, you do have to be a bit careful about parallel imports ... high volume low-price tyre mobs like Tempe Tyres will import tyres from a different source to that used by the official importer, and although the model of tyre is the same they're actually different in different markets. The Tempe Tyres provided Michelin Pilot Sport 4S may not be the same tyre as one you bought from Jax.
    Costco seems to use Australian-market stuff, though, and they're not exxy.

8. figjam

figjam Donating Member

Members Ride:
    Monaro CV8, Cross 6 Crewman, Territory Ghia.
    I have used them as a price comparison point, and wondered if they were like John West's canned tuna.

9. panhead

panhead Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Cars
    Some tyres are way over priced but in the main you get what you pay for.

10. vc commodore

Members Ride:
    vc commodore

I can tell you, Tempe source direct from the factory the tyre is made....The only difference I am aware of is, they don't warrant the tyre they pass on against road hazards and alikes.

On a couple of occasions, I have actually seen tyres from Tempe that are actually newer than the tyres supplied from the suppliers warehouse.

Jax and Costco, I'm not sure about how they get their tyres...

11. Forg

Forg Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Yes, but tyres with the same model-codes are made in different factories, and tyres from the same factory are even rated ... Australia's official imports are the 2nd rating (below what OEM car manufacturers get which are the highest rating), and most grey-imports (one example being Tempe Tyres) are either the leftovers or from a factory making a cheap version for cheap markets.

12. vc commodore

Members Ride:
    vc commodore

I can tell you, Tempe Tyres import straight from the factory the tyres are made, that supply the factory branded supplier.... They aren't leftovers or cheaper versions. The model codes are the same and the quality is just as good as if you were buying from the factory branded supplier. Not a cheaper version from a different factory as you say...
    I am aware how Tempe sell there tyres cheaper to the stores, when compared to the factory branded suppliers, but won't get into that side of things....

I am also aware of one supplier that has put the brakes on supplying Tempe with tyres from the factory, because the factory branded supplier was getting to many complaints from their customers about the factory branded suppliers pricing being more expensive than Tempe's pricing....

I can't comment on Jax or Costco as I don't know about the tyres they get from the factory