Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lowering Motorsport/Directors

PSISLE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E, VF2 Director, ZB RS-V Wagon
It’s already a weapon with mrc.
I’ve got a 17 redline and a Director, and I can absolutely feel the difference between fe3 and Holden (not hsv) mrc. The mrc is a step above in terms of stabilty and turn in- the dampers are constantly adjusting and iron out all surfaces, even in performance mode. I have found with the lower springs, it makes it even better, with a much lower centre of gravity, a mate has put the same lower springs in his motorsport and he agrees that is has improved the handling. Not too low to be unliveable, and totally reversible in a few hours.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
It’s already a weapon with mrc.
I’ve got a 17 redline and a Director, and I can absolutely feel the difference between fe3 and Holden (not hsv) mrc. The mrc is a step above in terms of stabilty and turn in- the dampers are constantly adjusting and iron out all surfaces, even in performance mode. I have found with the lower springs, it makes it even better, with a much lower centre of gravity, a mate has put the same lower springs in his motorsport and he agrees that is has improved the handling. Not too low to be unliveable, and totally reversible in a few hours.
Yes agree 100%. The MRC handles lowered springs much better than traditional struts or coil overs. The ability to switch between modes just adds that level of choice between touring and track depending on what is desired at the time.
One thing I don't like is how the Bridgestones perform with the MRC, LS3 and auto tune. After having the Michelin PS4S on the Redline, the Bridgie's leave a lot to be desired.

EternityDre

Reaction score
Members Ride
MSE #385
Yes agree 100%. The MRC handles lowered springs much better than traditional struts or coil overs. The ability to switch between modes just adds that level of choice between touring and track depending on what is desired at the time.
One thing I don't like is how the Bridgestones perform with the MRC, LS3 and auto tune. After having the Michelin PS4S on the Redline, the Bridgie's leave a lot to be desired.

The stock tyres were the weakness on track. I'm not rushing to get new ones until they're more worn but I can't wait to get better tyres, likely RE003s which I've heard from many people are a great road/track tyre at a reasonable price point.

https://www.bridgestonetyres.com.au/potenza-adrenalin-re003

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
The stock tyres were the weakness on track. I'm not rushing to get new ones until they're more worn but I can't wait to get better tyres, likely RE003s which I've heard from many people are a great road/track tyre at a reasonable price point.

A lot better than the 050's in my experience. Far more grip. Still not a patch on the Michelin's though. But I see your point Dre. Those PS4S's aren't cheap!

PSISLE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E, VF2 Director, ZB RS-V Wagon

I have got a track day at the bend coming up, I have been seriously considering getting a set of staggered redline rims and putting a better track tyre on them, I’m convinced the 19” with a higher profile tyre will do better around a track- the 20s are too skittish compared to my redline

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I have got a track day at the bend coming up, I have been seriously considering getting a set of staggered redline rims and putting a better track tyre on them, I’m convinced the 19” with a higher profile tyre will do better around a track- the 20s are too skittish compared to my redline

Top Gear Aus did a test a number of years ago with a VE on 19s & 20s around their test track.....19s faster than 20s.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Top Gear Aus did a test a number of years ago with a VE on 19s & 20s around their test track.....19s faster than 20s.
I wonder if that was due to handling, braking, or just the faster acceleration with the 19's?

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I wonder if that was due to handling, braking, or just the faster acceleration with the 19's?

IIRC, the theory was that it was to do with more sidewall providing better grip coz more flex meant less slip on the road surface when giving it the beans.

So probably impacted all of the above.

MY17DIR

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 LE Director....
Yeah it does. Any issues with MRC and may I ask who lowered it for you and how low ? Cheers

Did it myself with some tips from a couple of blokes. I went with King's SL springs on all corners. Dropped it about 25-30mm all up. No issues at all with MRC.
Can easily be returned to stock if need be so not bothered in the slightest about resale.

DIR115

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais Director
Did it myself with some tips from a couple of blokes. I went with King's SL springs on all corners. Dropped it about 25-30mm all up. No issues at all with MRC.
Can easily be returned to stock if need be so not bothered in the slightest about resale.
Thanks for replying. Sounds like you're wrapped with it. I'll get mine done as soon as I find someone reputable in Melbourne. I'll start making some calls tomorrow. Sooner the better!
Cheers