Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LPG - Pros V Cons

skyper

SKYPER
Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6
yes that sounds like it and i remember him talking about the converter and he mention that people mount them wrong ,one way they surge and the other way they run great,i have not had to touch it since fitted and hasn't missed a beat

centy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp series 2
just scored a 92 vp and repleaced the engine with another that had about 160k on it.
Being and older gas system, first of the new type it is down on power a little but ****loads cheaper to run. In the highway it also seems to be smoother and require less speed adjustment with the pedal.
Also the injectors being off make the engine real quiet.
ONLY concern i has is MAYBE i shoud fit a flash lube kit to keep the upper cylinder lube going.
o yeah you loose a big chunk of boot space.
All in all worth it if you can get it for a good price.

vnv8driver

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
304 Calais
On a high kilometre motor which has been run on petrol its whole life the amount of wear & tear is not that bad until you HAVE run it for years straight on lpg without much petrol use, as mentioned the cost of setting it up wont be making you ANY profit for a little while as the installation, lpg kit & tuning costs a bit even with the redemption (to get it running properly)

What hasnt been mentioned, long use of straight lpg will damage your motor if you give it a hard time as lpg doesnt offer any lubrication up top. friction baby friction!

Last edited:

levymetal

TURN MY HEADPHONES UP
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV ENHANCED VP CALAIS
how does a 304 go on gas? i've heard they like gas, but i don't know anyone who has one. after going from my old car on gas to my new one on petrol, i feel i am simply wasting my money on petrol when it does the same job. lose 5kw maximum, for $50 in your pocket every week. the choice is simple...

oh and to anyone who thinks gas lessens the life of your engine: get in an AU falcon taxi, look at the odometer, and tell me what you find :)

TUF UTE

Dave
Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ SENATOR
my 304 ute was on gas

i removed it and sold it

gas is for bbq's

kthxbai

vnv8driver

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
304 Calais
If everything's tuned right & compensated for you pickup more power, you only loose power if you slap a lpg kit on and drive it as is... most people only tune the converter and dont worry about the motors electrical system & standard tuning

levymetal

TURN MY HEADPHONES UP
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV ENHANCED VP CALAIS
my 304 ute was on gas

i removed it and sold it

gas is for bbq's

kthxbai

Ah, pride! Imagine how many people think you are so much more awesome, now that you don't drive a car on gas and say it's only for BBQs.
Having that pride must feel so good, who cares about saving a couple of grand a year to do up your car?

I asked a serious question, if there's any more losers with pride who want to comment - go keep your pride and **** off.

Thanks for your reply vnv8 :)

centy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp series 2
if you look at the specs for the gas kit some of them turn the injectors on a little when under high load so as to provide a small amount of upper cyclinder lube and stop the valves recessing into the head.
That type would be best and add a flashlube upper cyclinder lube kit aswell.

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
I stear away from gas. All the mechanics i know too dont have any gas cars (except for one who only has gas because his dad got gas in that car ages ago). That guy hates it too, it's all been tuned but doesn't have anywhere as much power as what it can have.

LOL, i also like having the option of choosing from a few different spark plugs :p Instead of the one LPG type. And yea, my supercharged VY isn't gong on gas for anything :p I get enough fuel economy, i can go from Sydney to Melbourne on one tank with fuel leftover :D And yes, that was with the 125km of roadworks stretch on the bloddy hume in NSW! >_<

EACRUISER

Reaction score
Plus one to blowing up airboxes with LPG.
My car has destroyed 3 in the last 2 months.
Put it down to too much vacumn developing in the intake manifold and airbox. sucking LPG out of the mixer through the pin hole in the throttlebody.

As with the pod on there and no restriction, It backfires rarely.
and it spins the wheels if i plant it in 2nd.

I had only just put in a VR ex cop motor into my VN calais before i left for NZ for work. Will start tuning the LPG when i get back to Adelaide on the 21st. Hopefully the battery hasn't gone flat on it.

Guessing its just the Sensitivity control on the convertor, as the high flow gas adjustment seams to be pretty right.

So, I am on the Positive Side OF LPG. If set up right its a better fuel then petrol, due to the higher octane rating. you can bump up the compression abit more and give the timing a remap with a new chip and have a kick ass setup. As long as the mixer isn't too small to pose a restriction to flow into the throttle body. The one that was on mine was, but i have machined out the mixer to solve that problem.

Talk to a few places to get ideas on how they would setup LPG for your particular model. Tell them what your after, performance or economy and listen to their ideas for your system.
But set a base set of questions to ask each place so you can work out who will install a system that suits your needs.
Best way to do it, as there are some dodgy places and some good places.

But definitely LPG is worth it.

Last edited: