Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LPG - Pros V Cons

redcv6

supercharged intercooled
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss ute, diesel landcruiser 100s, hq panel van
can't believe that the change over would be that smooth, but i don't know to much about the gas systems.

centy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp series 2
i got an old system that is not tuned right and the change over can be real smooth.
the biggest thing you nice in the car is less noise.
is gas good yes
would i use it in a car HELL YES
would i spend 2k to fit it Maybe not unless it was a great car i planned to keep for a long time.
If you plan to keep the car then gas is good.
If you plan to sell it then you won't make the extra cash back to cover what it cost you.

levymetal

TURN MY HEADPHONES UP
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV ENHANCED VP CALAIS
can't believe that the change over would be that smooth, but i don't know to much about the gas systems.

with injected systems the change over is not noticeable, because what happens is that when the switch is flicked the current injector fires, then the next pulse is simply to the other injector instead. so you can't notice a thing (which is how they can do the change over from gas to petrol in a snap). with mixer type set ups the change over is not smooth, so you'd stick with gas, unless you knew you were going to give a bit. you can't switch on the fly (at least with my old system you couldn't).

TUF UTE

Dave
Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ SENATOR
my gas man was telling me that the latest system he fitted to a crewman ,was when u floor it ,it automaticly changed back to petrol and when u backed off it changed back to gas ,it was so smooth that u could only tell by the gas light

thats the stupidest thing i have ever heard.

a carthat changes to the more expensive fuel source when you accelerate hard.

DavoVP

Reaction score
ive got the old mixer type system on my vp, When im heavy under acceleration on gas ( WOT ) and i flick the switch to petrol i dont feel a thing, its smooth. But say if im putting along and i flick the switch its very noticable. Stutters for a second untill it clears the intake, but at WOT there's no such problem :p

Alot of the time i find my self taking off very hard on petrol then just flicking the switch to gas while im still revng out 2nd and backing off. Not the best idea but it has never caused a backfire for me.

I do get airbox detonation when I take off to hard ofngas....... ie, going WOT as soon as or before the clutch is out causeing the car to realy bog down, but if i load it up and dump it, no probs, just alot of tyre smoke or if i take off smoothly its all good.

But if you are going to give your car a realy hard time flick it to fuel itl last longer :p

If you have a slightly dodgy coil pack, get rid of it, problems show up alot sooner on gas due to the higher flash point.

Mine has a slight miss occasionaly, exactly like a dieing coil pack on gas, throw it to fuel no worries.

TUF UTE

Dave
Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ SENATOR
thats due to weak spark ... also check your lead resistances and spark plug gaps

levymetal

TURN MY HEADPHONES UP
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV ENHANCED VP CALAIS
thats the stupidest thing i have ever heard.

a carthat changes to the more expensive fuel source when you accelerate hard.

Didn't you say you were an ex gas fitter? That ex is there for a reason. Probably because you got fired for being a ****ing dumbarse. This is not the pub. Stop posting bull****. How the **** can you call yourself an ex LPG fitter when you know absolutely nothing about LPG systems, the products you sell. How are people like you allowed into the industry? Surely most people know something about the product they sell. I guess you can't escape no hopers like yourself though.

LPG Injection systems can switch over to petrol if there is too much power for the LPG system to handle. This gives you the best of both worlds, and you'd never notice a thing.

Street Fords Magazine - View Single Post - lpg conversion on xr6 turbo

TUF UTE

Dave
Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ SENATOR
lol calm down.... and as for people like me being allowed in the trade, i quit cause i got sick of playing with gas.... it was also four years ago and i stand by what i said.... why spend 2500 for a gas system to save on fuel when its going to switch to petrol as soon as u put your foot down, defeats the whole ****ing purpose doesnt it !

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
Ah, pride! Imagine how many people think you are so much more awesome, now that you don't drive a car on gas and say it's only for BBQs.
Having that pride must feel so good, who cares about saving a couple of grand a year to do up your car?

I asked a serious question, if there's any more losers with pride who want to comment - go keep your pride and **** off.

Thanks for your reply vnv8 :)

Levymetal, its not really worth trying to "convert" people like this. I dont understand them.....does it threaten their manhood if their car runs on lpg or something?

Let them talk lpg down,(the ignorance shown by many in this thread.....especially the ex gas fitter is mind boggling....and frankly I couldnt be bothered reasoning with them) afterall, if too many people convert it will get more expensive and inconvenient for those that already have.

Im quite happy for people buying petrol to pay more tax than me:yeah:, not increase my taxes further by turning down the government's stupendous $2000 rebate..:bang:, and if we drop the demand for lpg then we may see prices of lpg fall back a bit too.
The more people that convert, the more vehicles we'll have clogging up our roads....and bigger vehicles at that.
The cost of petrol serves as a good incentive to most to moderate/rationalise their car use.

As Ive mentioned b4, Ive saved ~$40000 using lpg over the last 20 years. Picture what that looks like in a stack of $20 notes! Well actually I havent saved it, ironically Ive spent a large proportion of it on jet fuel in going OS a half dozen times or so.....but geez if id use petrol I could have sat at home and taken some pictures of my petrol car sitting in the driveway.

So yes, lpg is for girls, men drive petrol cars:w00t:

Last edited:

EACRUISER

Reaction score
lol @ commsirac

On a system thats just slapped together, sure LPG Sucks.

But in a vehicle where the Engine and ECU are setup in conjunction with a decent LPG system. To take advantage of that higher octane rating. Well lets face it LPG is in a higher league then most petrol systems.

Common Misconceptions

LPG cars are no good for turbocharging - Incorrect. In actual fact they tend to be better because of the interherent properties of LPG.

LPG cars are harder on engines - Correct, atleast generally speaking. LPG cars do favour certain types of oils given the 'dry' nature of LPG itself. An incorrectly tuned LPG car will kill an engine. But then again an incorrectly tuned Petrol car will kill an engine too.

LPG is no good for performance - COMPLETELY INCORRECT. You've only got to take the number of turbo charged XF falcons running 250 crossflows, LPG and BIG turbos as proof. There are even a number of LPG VL turbos happening these days.. It's all about the tuning and the configuration.

BBQ gas is better than pump LPG - Correct. BBQ gas has a higher propane level and hence has a higher energy rating than typical pump LPG. Pump LPG tends to have a higher propane level during the winter months because it's colder and the propane prevents the LPG freezing in the lines when it's cold. If you do get a chance to fill up on BBQ gas, GO for it. You'll get more performance out of your car.

Now on that last comment, there is a LPG "service station" joint just near Edinburgh Air Force Base here in Adelaide, that sells LPG with a Higher Propane Level than u will find at any servo.

I fill up both my V6 ant 5.7lt there every week and the 5.7lt is running a straight gas manifold system and makes a **** load more power then it ever did on Petrol.

Would i go back to using petrol. . . .with my experience on my own Properly Tuned vehicles . . . Hell no!

But as The common saying goes... Opinions are like ass holes, everyone has one....

So make your own "Informed Choice" from your own research guys.

LPG Explained... An Introduction to LPG
http://www.performancelpg.com/viewtopic.php?t=2

LPG Injection - whats it about.
http://www.performancelpg.com/viewtopic.php?t=14

LPG as Diesel Replacement
http://www.performancelpg.com/viewtopic.php?t=7